Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 10,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2SD View Post
I live in San Marcos (my family and I relocated here from the desert plains of Arizona) - am still somewhat new to the area, been living in SM for about 1.5 years now.

I do agree with what the other posters have mentioned. There are some really nice areas in San Marcos, particularly Santa Fe Hills, Discovery Hills, Walnut Grove Park, and San Elijo Hills. San Elijo Hills have a beautiful village/downtown area and the elementary school is very good. It's my favorite neighborhood in all of San Marcos.

San Elijo Hills borders La Costa, Carlsbad which is one of the expensive cities in the north county communities of San Marcos, Escondido, Vista & Oceanside.

Traffic is usually congested on San Marcos Blvd. The 78 freeway is just notoriously busy during rush hour and I had the same comment as one poster put it when I first moved here - "Whoever designed this town ought to be shot!"

San Marcos is home to California State University (CSUSM) and Palomar Community College and that means a lot of students live here at least during school days.

The Restaurant Row is one of the best amenities within the city, and the city boasts about it on their website and rightfully so. This place is teeming with all kinds of restaurants all packed within the same square mile.

One of my favorite restaurants on the Row - Brunno's Italian Restaurant - awesome pizza and Lasagna, shutdown abruptly without warning...anyways, man must not live by pizza and Lasagna alone

San Marcos is typically a bedroom community, night life here is almost non-existent, but that's about to change with the city's plan to build a downtown area near the Cal State area.

The state beach is accessible within 15mins drive, average yearly temps is 89 degrees or lower, during the later summer months, it gets a little hotter than average due to the heatwave from the Santa Ana winds.

Food is inexpensive, fresh fruit and veggies are plentiful - we typically go to Sprouts for shopping. There are good farmer's markets here, though they only open during certain days of the week.

Utilities are cheaper here compared to Arizona, it doesn't get as hot as Arizona, though you'll use your AC quite a bit during summer. During the winter months, it gets cold, but nothing compared to Toronto weather. The most I've seen our combined electric & gas bill is $180, lowest was $65. SDG&E has a lock on the market here, so the numbers I gave you is for both electric and gas which is pretty good. I must say our house is "newly" built with energy efficient appliances so that helps with the heating/cooling bills.

Crime is low in San Marcos compared to neighboring Escondido. Just as other posters have mentioned, there are gangs and gang activity in certain pockets of the city - just like any city on earth. Just stay away from those areas and you'll be fine.

San Marcos is centrally located within north county, you can get to most places in San Diego proper within 30-60mins depending on your destination. Legoland is nextdoor to us in Carlsbad. San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld, Balboa Park, Airport, Downtown all within 45min or less. Heck, you can even take a trip to Disneyland in Anaheim within an hour. BTW, in San Diego county, it's given you'll drive a "little" just to get to where you need to be.

The commuter train that runs through San Marcos is the Sprinter, you can take it from Escondido through San Marcos to Oceanside, pretty punctual, and clean. Due to repair works, the Sprinter was grounded until engineers completed testing.

Home prices in San Marcos are generally lower than San Diego proper, but prices are starting to heat up as inventory dries up, but if you're looking to buy, you can get a nice SFH in the areas listed between 500-700K on average, obviously you can buy something lower or even higher depending on your budget.

Hope this helps...good luck with move!
That was perfect information,may i ask you how is price for buying car there?and is there any agansy to help us for renting flat?thanks for your useful info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:57 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,137,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber sajedifar View Post
Thanks a lot we are couple and hopefully we will be there in jun but still have to find cheap flat to rent
What do you call cheap? What's your budget for rent every month?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,137,448 times
Quote:
That was perfect information,may i ask you how is price for buying car there?and is there any agansy to help us for renting flat?thanks for your useful info
Prices for buying cars vary, depending on what you want.

You haven't provided any information about your rental budget, so until you do that, we won't be able to help you. Look on Craigslist for rentals in San Marcos in your budget. It all depends on how much you can afford every month.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
What do you call cheap? What's your budget for rent every month?
We are looking for flat to rent around 1000$ maximum.becuase we are student and am looking for getting job there if i can.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:16 PM

[quote=moved;29344060]Prices for buying cars vary, depending on what you want.

You haven't provided any information about your rental budget, so until you do that, we won't be able to help you. Look on Craigslist for rentals in San Marcos in your budget. It all depends on how much you can afford every
For car we have around 80000$.becuase we are sealing our car in here and try to get car there

Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM

86 posts, read 152,860 times
Quote:
As others have mentioned, it depends on what kind of car you're looking for. I recommend sticking with gas sipping Japanese/Korean cars like Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Kia Elantra etc. Gas prices are expensive in San Diego, and if you live in San Marcos you have to travel to San Diego proper if you want to go to places like Balboa Park, SeaWorld, Downtown, Airport etc.

I purchased our last 2 cars on eBay, and brought them with us when we relocated from Arizona so I don't have any good info I can share on car prices, but if you are willing to spend between $5-8K you should be able to find a car in good condition with plenty of shelf-life left on the odometer.

Look on Craigslist and eBay to get an idea of prices...just beware of scammers on these sites, do your homework before you part with your hard-earned money. If prices of some cars you're interested in are too good to be true, then they're probably too good to be true. Stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego