Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:39 AM

349 posts, read 1,544,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You should have seen a poll on the US General forum not that long ago:
"Which city is more like Tokyo: Atlanta or San Diego?"

Somehow it was it was almost 50/50 split for those that actually voted.
I would love to read this poll, I'm going to search for it. San Diego is nothing like Tokyo.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:11 AM

202 posts, read 872,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I don't regret moving to San Diego but I think it's overrated. Yes the weather is perfect, but the city itself is average at best.

I love warm weather so I'm here. But I far prefer "the culture" of cities like Seattle, Boston and San Fran.

Much of Central SD is dumpy. The Gaslamp is mostly national chain restarants or bars full of big screen TV's. I do like OB, it has character. But even OB is dumpy. PB is annoying full of ex lower tier colleg frat boys and their barbie doll girlfirends. Much of North County is souless suburbia, strip malls, cookie cutter houses. Places like Rancho P. Rancho B., Scripps Ranch, Mira Mesa just have zero chracter. They are one big suburban blob full of coookie cutter houses, malls,

There just a "lower mentality" and education level with the general popualtion in SD that the other cities I mentioned. It has a very commercialized feel vs. the character of Boston, New England, Seattle, San Fran.

But with that said it has killer weather, the desert is great, it has mountains, it has some nice beaches, laid back feel so that makes it worthwhile.

Couldn't agree more.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:39 PM

137 posts, read 542,913 times
I feel the same way, and I grew up in San Diego. However, I might still end up here b/c most of my family is here. But with webcams and email nowadays, I might not move back.....only time will tell.

I totally agree with the comment about self-important people. Especially the housewives in North County and La Jolla. They are some of the snottiest people I have ever met. These people have such a strong sense of entitlement and raise their children to be the same way. Have you ever met North County kids? A lot of them are so spoiled.

Not all are this way. There are people who are very down to earth and raise great kids. But I have met way more of the entitled people, so I think they are the norm here.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:44 PM

137 posts, read 542,913 times
Default Me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
Couldn't agree more.
I grew up in SD and I also agree. The majority of the people here are so self-important and have such a strong sense of entitlement. What's funny is that most of them haven't even done much with their lives nor are they that accomplished/talented!

It just feels like a bravado contest where everyone acts self-important as to not be trumped by someone else who may be acting self-important. Perception becomes more important than reality.

Punk kids act like they know everything there is to life. A lot of the parents condone their kids' sense of entitlement because they think it is having self-confidence or because they themselves are pricks. Blame it on the self-esteem movement on steroids.

I love the weather and the scenery though. But aside from that, SD is nothing special (in terms of culture, food, things to do)

Old 06-09-2008, 01:59 AM

202 posts, read 872,759 times
Default Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiezbug View Post
I grew up in SD and I also agree. The majority of the people here are so self-important and have such a strong sense of entitlement. What's funny is that most of them haven't even done much with their lives nor are they that accomplished/talented!

It just feels like a bravado contest where everyone acts self-important as to not be trumped by someone else who may be acting self-important. Perception becomes more important than reality.

Punk kids act like they know everything there is to life. A lot of the parents condone their kids' sense of entitlement because they think it is having self-confidence or because they themselves are pricks. Blame it on the self-esteem movement on steroids.

I love the weather and the scenery though. But aside from that, SD is nothing special (in terms of culture, food, things to do)

Yep, I could write ten pages on this place, and all of what I would say is exactly what you have said but in much more detail. You should look up some of my posts, my favorite posts are from "Funkymonk" though.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 AM

253 posts, read 1,332,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Second, the violence level is very high. In the wealthy areas SD is nice. But throughout most of the city, SD has a very gangster, aggressive, violent feel to it. It's too much of an anything goes, wild west vibe. Just not enough common decency for me. People in SD can't be trusted and they are often shady, or downright scum.
Well, the entire United States is headed rapidly in this direction - California is just a little bit ahead of the pack. Your description applies to every city in the state, with $500K remaining the price of basic physical safety despite the housing downturn.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
Yep, I could write ten pages on this place, and all of what I would say is exactly what you have said but in much more detail. You should look up some of my posts, my favorite posts are from "Funkymonk" though.
Funkymonk is one bitter, angry delusional person and I wouldn't take anything he says seriously. He has some huge chip on his shoulder and if you look through his previous posts you can see what a bitter, angry person he is. Some people just create problems for themselves. Also he has lied and flat out made up stuff and I've found many contradictions in his posts. I called him out on it and instead of responding he had my post deleted.

If you grew up here and have never lived anywhere else then you really have nothing to compare it to. I grew up in the Bay Area and people will try to act like that place is better but overall it's not, it's the same. People will be people no matter where you go. Crap up there annoys me like some crap down here will, it's just different crap but still annoying. No matter where you go every place with have it's good and bad, some areas have a different vibe or scene but fundamentally it's not that different overall.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:00 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I don't regret moving to San Diego but I think it's overrated. Yes the weather is perfect, but the city itself is average at best.

I love warm weather so I'm here. But I far prefer "the culture" of cities like Seattle, Boston and San Fran.

Much of Central SD is dumpy. The Gaslamp is mostly national chain restarants or bars full of big screen TV's. I do like OB, it has character. But even OB is dumpy. PB is annoying full of ex lower tier colleg frat boys and their barbie doll girlfirends. Much of North County is souless suburbia, strip malls, cookie cutter houses. Places like Rancho P. Rancho B., Scripps Ranch, Mira Mesa just have zero chracter. They are one big suburban blob full of coookie cutter houses, malls,

There just a "lower mentality" and education level with the general popualtion in SD that the other cities I mentioned. It has a very commercialized feel vs. the character of Boston, New England, Seattle, San Fran.

But with that said it has killer weather, the desert is great, it has mountains, it has some nice beaches, laid back feel so that makes it worthwhile.
Ah another lame pseudo-intellectual rant like this. Why do people even bother trying to compare SD to places like SF, Boston, or Seattle or even places like NYC, DC, etc.... Compare SD to a city more in line with it's demographics like Tampa, Minneapolis, St Louis, etc.. It's like people expect this city to be perfect. We're suppose to have the warm weather, beaches, laid back lifestyle BUT also suppose to have the world class culture and amenities of other larger, more prominent American cities. And apparently San Diego's suburbs are suppose to have "character" despite most suburbs being full of cookie cutter homes, strip malls, etc..

And of course the snobby psuedo-intellectual rants don't stop with culture or suburbia but also focus on the people. Because San Diegan's are laid back and not full of themselves we come off as a "lower mentality" or as meatheads. Some people love SD b/c it lacks that SF, Seattle, Boston type douchebags that think they are so smart and cultured when they are really idiots who have too high of an opinion of themself. San Diegan's are some of the nicest and most outgoing people in CA. I grew up in the Bay Area and it's full of those lame psuedo intellectual types that just sit around in some giant ideological circle jerk feeding off each other's own arrogance. Also San Diego is one of the most EDUCATED cities in America. SD is 9th in the nation for having the highest percentage of it's population with a BA or higher. It ranks right behind Boston but ahead of places like San Jose, NYC, and Portland.

It's a Sunbelt city which grew mainly after WWII, so who the hell in their right mind expects it to have the old style urban fabric of east coast cities? Sf is an anomaly on the west coast for it's density b/c it grew up way before any other cities here did. If you came from SF or Boston expecting SD to have the same density of level of urbanity then you're not as smart as you think you are.

The city is not perfect and anyone who moved here thinking it would be is an idiot. SD doesn't try to be something it's not, unlike places like SF. We don't pretend to be some wannabe European-esque, cultural mecca of the west coast. We don't need or want all that pretentious high culture crap found in places like SF, La, NYC, Boston, DC or whatver that some of you complain about. We like our beaches, weather, having a good time, ect....sorry if some of you prefer ballets, political activism, overspending on restaurants, or whatever but San Diegan's know how to enjoy life. The city lacks in some areas and excels in some areas, LIKE ALL CITIES. What SD lacks compared to SF, NYC, LA, Boston, ect..it makes up for in other areas and vice versa.

Last edited by sav858; 06-09-2008 at 11:29 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 11:24 AM

349 posts, read 1,544,977 times
Well said 858!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The city lacks in some areas and excels in some areas, LIKE ALL CITIES. What SD lacks compared to SF, NYC, LA, Boston, ect..it makes up for in other areas and vice versa.
I think I love you . Reps!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego