Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:13 AM

264 posts, read 1,389,237 times

Advertisements

For years, native Californians have been complaining about people from the east coast doing the same thing to California housing prices. They'd sell off their expensive house there, move here, pay cash or a huge down on a house.
Now, I'm not against anyone from the east coast, or people moving to California, but now other states can appreciate how California natives have been feeling for years.
I can only cringe when I read how disrespectful some former Californians can be when they move. "That's the way it was done in California" really doesn't cut it in another state.
Previous posters to this thread are right - treat others kindly, be respectful and learn about your new area before trying to make changes.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,390 times
Default California Living Standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonewithCali View Post
We are looking to relocate out of Southern California. Has anyone else done this and where did you go. We have two young children, need good schools, community stuff, parks, low crime, etc. My two sister-in-laws relocated, one to Idaho and one to Arizona and in both cases they and their kids had a hard time due to the folks there not liking anyone from California. Is that the case everywhere??? Just wondering. We are looking at Utah, maybe Nevada, maybe Colorado..... Does anyone not hate us out there????

Anyone else had any luck findings a nice community to settle in to???

The living standards that you enjoy in California is not what you will find in the smaller mid western or southern states. Most are ar least 10 to 15 years behind in progression.
I moved from San Diego to the Atlanta area in December 06, bought a home that is very large for the price. My wife and I are putting it on the market nd moving back to California by 4/2/07. This area is growing but out of tune with the west coast standard of living. The sad part is that they don't know that their is a better place to live in the United States. The biggest downside

Old 02-26-2007, 06:27 AM

122 posts, read 789,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantan View Post
This area is growing but out of tune with the west coast standard of living.

If it were really not up to your "standard of living," you should have known that before moving.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:23 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,087,224 times
Who cares if they don't like us (Californians). Move to where you want to move. Enjoy life. Ignore people that hate.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:42 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,778,449 times
As someone from the Southeast, and having lived in California for 10 years, I can say that most people in my home state do not hate Californians. What they don't appreciate are people coming in and tipping the local economy in the form of housing.

After having been here myself for quite a while, it is easy to see how someone from California would get giddy about a "cheap" 400k house in NC when in reality, homes can be had in that state and others around it for 100k... or less. In my opinion, Californians seem to be living in one enormous extreme while a majority of the country operates much as it has for decades. The fact that it seems like most Californians buy a home in CA when they're in their 40's simply because the prices are so high and thus must save for 20 years to make a down payment is totally foreign to someone living in NC,TN,GA, etc, who probably bought out of convenience when they finished college and got their first job.

I will say that there is a general dislike for A: people from up North and B: People from Florida. There is a general distrust for anyone that happens to have come from north of the mason-dixon line. I lived in MA for 2 years so I can't exactly blame them. When I visit, there are these enormous housing developments full of 3 story, 3 car garage houses. There seems to be a steady stream of license plates from NY, MA, CT, etc etc.

I think another reason that there is sometimes a general dislike for outsiders is that in the general media, places like the South have been portrayed in a negative light. Racism. Ignorance. Economic depressions. etc. The irony is that in reality, the quality of life there is actually quite good. clean, cute cities with vibrant economies, great public schools and economics that work hand in hand with all social levels and salaries. Things are very affordable. To see people moving in from states that have previously turned up their noses at us is almost too ironic. I think the manner of thought is that they messed up their own state, so why not stay and fix it rather than overrun ours? The big fear is that our region will become just another extension of the entire Northeast, with a complete assimulation into their culture while erasing the unique local character.

No, in general people from where I am from do not dislike Californians. But they do expect you to be respectful of what already exists there.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:09 PM

76 posts, read 282,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantan View Post

its out of tune with the west coast standard of living?? perhaps because its not on the west coast. did you look into it before you moved? did you think that the whole nation is like california? thank God its not. there are pros and cons for every state its up to each individual what those pros and cons are. and whether its worth living with the cons to have the pros. there was a reason why you left california and went to atlanta. then when you get there you are upset that it doesnt turn into the california lifestyle. with all due respect I am sorry if i sound harsh because i dont mean to be..

Old 03-04-2007, 06:35 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,412,110 times
You definitely aren't going to make the South feel like CA anytime soon :-)

We need to learn how to adapt when we move....that seems to biggest the biggest problem everyone has....move, buy cheaper house, compare everything to CA.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:18 PM

76 posts, read 282,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
You definitely aren't going to make the South feel like CA anytime soon :-)

We need to learn how to adapt when we move....that seems to biggest the biggest problem everyone has....move, buy cheaper house, compare everything to CA.
I hope not cuz the charm of the south is that it is a slower pace not the big rat race that cali and other states are. sweet home alabama

Old 03-04-2007, 09:43 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,912,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantan
>Is this a bad thing?

Old 03-05-2007, 09:06 AM

87 posts, read 408,402 times
I moved to south central PA and people here seem too focused on hating the Maryland people moving here driving up home prices to hate me being from the other side of the country. I personally love the people moving here driving up my property prices. I hope I can sell my house to one of them for 75k more than I bought it for and move back to California (or to Austin with the other Californians lol)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego