Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 08:44 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler21 View Post
I see. Do you have a link to confirm this?
Sure, I didn't try to find the latest data because I'm guessing there wasn't a huge swing in crime.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-6

San Diego Metro Violent crime /100K: 331.8
Minneapolis Metro Violent crime/100K: 285.2

These two Metros usually rank near the bottom in crime rates. Other safe metro areas include Austin, Boston, and occasionally DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 08:46 PM

31 posts, read 36,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ice fishing? I mean, I love ice fishing but as a metric to live somewhere I don't think many people think of that as a plus It's more of a drinking sport like OTL here.

But OTL means minimal clothes and you don't have to dress like you have a dog sled team.
Again, this is based in my own opinion, to me it's fun for other people it's negative. You may have some activities/hobbies that for me is a big NO.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:00 PM

123 posts, read 169,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Sure, I didn't try to find the latest data because I'm guessing there wasn't a huge swing in crime.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-6

San Diego Metro Violent crime /100K: 331.8
Minneapolis Metro Violent crime/100K: 285.2

These two Metros usually rank near the bottom in crime rates. Other safe metro areas include Austin, Boston, and occasionally DC.
City of San Diego, pop: 1,400,467, had 37 "murder and nonnegligent manslaughter".

City of Minneapolis, pop: 413,479, had 47 "murder and nonnegligent manslaughter".

You said "The Minneapolis metropolitan area has a lower crime rate than San Diego metro." Umm...how? SD had 10 fewer murders in 2015 (using your source) and is three times larger than Minneapolis (both populations are metro).

Old 03-27-2018, 09:56 AM

334 posts, read 363,093 times
The reported violent crime / 100k numbers above are for the MSA not the city itself. The MSA is substantially larger than either city (San Diego is about 1/2 of the MSA by population, Minneapolis is 1/8 of the MSA). If you look at just San Diego and just Minneapolis, the FBI reports a rate 2.6x that of San Diego.

The city-data numbers numbers are a little easier to view and also confirm that Minneapolis has over 2x the crime rate of San Diego in all categories (except auto theft and arson).

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Minnesota.html

Last edited by snpdragr; 03-27-2018 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-27-2018, 10:22 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Zer0 View Post
Again, this is based in my own opinion, to me it's fun for other people it's negative. You may have some activities/hobbies that for me is a big NO.
Ya, naked bicycling at midnight isn't for everyone.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:54 AM

5,740 posts, read 4,694,854 times
Quote:
I know this is an old topic, I lived in minneapolis and now living in san diego. In my own opinion, minneapolis is the winner. The only good things I can say about SD are the scenery and the weather (but not so much on the weather, since it can get boring). SD properties are very expensive, school system are not good compare to minneapolis, economy is not good, SD crime rate is high because lots of people are trying to survive the high cost of living (just today in the morning news I heard there's a break in on little league snack cart stand and took couple hundreds of dollars in merchandise).

I said the SD weather can get boring because they're the same every single day. It is a desert like weather where you see blue skies and not much rain. Expect road accident and landslides when it rains. Expect wildfires and drought when it didn't rain for a long time. I'll take the cold weather than wildfires, drought and earthquake, minneapolis weather is cold but only during winter time when half of the country are cold. Coldest months are Jan and Feb, but it is not cold every single day, you'll get a break and when that happens it will give you an opportunity to do something outdoors like skiing, snow tubing, ice fishing, etc. the snow flakes are beautiful when they are coming down. There's a lot of festivities during spring, summer and fall. This is why I am planning to move back to minneapolis this year where cost of living is lower so I can move to an affordable, nicer and bigger house, save my money, prepare for retirement and enjoy the life.
LOL.

Uh, enjoy your ice fishing in Minneapolis.

Bye!

Old 03-27-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
LOL.

Uh, enjoy your ice fishing in Minneapolis.

Bye!
Thank you!

Old 03-27-2018, 04:26 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Thank you!
What ya'll catchin? Walleye? I really miss ice fishing back in CO. I even caught some channel cats through the ice. A nice ice shanty and some blackberry brandy

Old 03-27-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What ya'll catchin? Walleye? I really miss ice fishing back in CO. I even caught some channel cats through the ice. A nice ice shanty and some blackberry brandy
Yup, walleye or northern pike. Ice fishing is really fun, sitting inside the warm mobile fish house while watching tv and drinking booze.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:21 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
Quote:
Yup, my bad, it's a poor judgment on my side. I based it from what's in the morning news without looking at the actual data, I actually used to live on a minneapolis suburb (14 miles SW of minneapolis) which is more quite. Everything I said here are all based in my own opinion, some people may not agree with me and that's fine.
I can agree with you that MSP is a fine city. It's got a high quality of life, affordable, has great museums and lakes. Was there less than 2 years ago to catch a Twins game and I liked it better than my first visit. Managed to make it to Matt's Bar for a Jucy Lucy (Good stuff). St. Paul was surprisingly diverse with its Hmong population, not to mention all of the Somalis throughout the area.

I'm looking forward to my next visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego