Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:27 PM

8 posts, read 100,334 times

Advertisements

MISSIONHOME, Your so right about wearing comforable shoes. I would also advise that you should take a daypack with lunch, snacks and plenty of drinking water/energy drinks. There are a lot of hills to walk around and there are plenty of places where you can sit and enjoy your favorite animal and have a munchie break.

Also bring a hat, sun glasses and suntan lotion. A great place to have a day hike with your friends and family.

I would also suggest to go to the Wild Animal Park in San Pasqual Valley/Escondido. You would take a tram that goes all around the park then you can enjoy the smaller enclosures in their inner village. A marvelous day.

If you are a real animal lover and enjoy what the ocean offers, you can visit the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla.

Enjoy your day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
The San Diego Zoo is awesome! It is one of the finest zoos in the world and its a fun thing to do for a day. The pandas are so beautiful to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
San Diego Zoo is great. Easily worth the admission.

It's a tropical paradise, filled with palm trees and exotic plants, and fantastic animal exhibits. Watching the orangutans play is one of my favorite things to do at the zoo.

The zoo is filled with many steep hills to walk up and down, so wear comfortable shoes.

You also have the option of paying $10 per adult to ride on a double decker tour bus (open on the top) which takes you around the entire zoo. A tour guide rides on the bus and tells you about each exhibit as you pass it.

There is also a monorail which crosses high over the top of the zoo, and can take you from one side to the other.

Also, look for discount coupons to save on zoo admission. You can usually find them inside tourist coupon books (freebies) at the visitor centers throughout San Diego.

Another thing to mention, the zoo is located within Balboa Park, which also contains many beautiful buildings (incredible Spanish architecture) and museums. These museums are within walking distance from the zoo entrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 PM

183 posts, read 631,744 times
Default Another option...

If you just have the one day to kill, Balboa Park is another option. There is no admission charge just to stroll around, and just strolling around can probably kill an entire day. Do not go without a camera. If you want to dig deeper, there are 15 museums within the park.
If you can handle the tab definitely grab lunch on the terrace at Prado - just named by SD Magazine as the best outdoor dining in SD. Request Bobby as your waiter.
We had time to do both a day at the zoo and a day at Balboa. If we could only do one the slight edge would go to Balboa.
We were at the zoo on a perfect weather day, and it was memorable. Someone mentioned high food cost, but we thought the little cafe right at the zoo entrance was reasonable, and delivered very good food.
By the way, parking at both the zoo and the park are free - how cool is that?

Old 04-05-2018, 04:47 PM

59 posts, read 46,809 times
Get the Go San Diego card---it will get you into the zoo & a bunch of balboa park museums, etc for a discounted rate. You can get it on the site or through Costco. We used it for our trip to San Diego and it was nice--it will give you some extras at the zoo including the bus ride and gondola ride for free

Old 04-05-2018, 07:31 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Wow, revived from the dead post 10 years old! $25 admission? How quaint. $50 today but it’s still worth it.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:49 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALA2009 View Post
Get the Go San Diego card---it will get you into the zoo & a bunch of balboa park museums, etc for a discounted rate. You can get it on the site or through Costco. We used it for our trip to San Diego and it was nice--it will give you some extras at the zoo including the bus ride and gondola ride for free
The GoPass is nice for out of town visitors to have for other reasons, but the skytram and bus tours at the Zoo are now actually included with the regular Zoo 1-day pass. You don't need the GoPass for those.

If you really want to go all out at the Zoo, you can spring for the VIP experience for $650 per person for the day, or play "zookeeper for a day" for $850 per person for the day. Gulp.

I agree with T.Damon though. The basic pass is still worth it, and the zoo is a lot of fun!

Old 04-06-2018, 12:42 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
I took some out-of-town guests to the zoo last month. Luckily I am a 'donor club' SD Zoo member so the cost for all of us was zero. It was an OK experience. The line to see the pandas was over 2 hours long. We skipped the line, jumped the fence at the panda park, and watched the panda cam on our iphones.

Our Safari Park in Escondido is a much better zoo experience. Just don't go in the summer months because the Safari Park can be hot hot hot.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:24 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Yes. I currently like the zoo when non-crowded like at end of day and just walking a part not all of it.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:27 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
It's all happening at the zoo

Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 AM

50,243 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Dang 166 bucks per couple for the year? Ouch. It sure went up.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:54 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Dang 166 bucks per couple for the year? Ouch. It sure went up.
Yeah but it's $50 to get in, so you only need to go a few times to pay for it (plus you get extra free passes, etc). I have the same deal except instead of a couple I have my own pass and I can take anyone I like in with me anytime I go. I go probably once a month and if I'm by myself I always ask some random person standing in line for tickets if they want to get in free as my +1, so my pass is paid for over and over and over every year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego