Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:38 PM

68 posts, read 568,669 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for your replies!
I still have a while til I find out if I can even get back in but I will definitely take your opinions into consideration if I do!!!! I think I already know that I would love SD better. The big pro to being stationed in VA is that my husband's family is on the east coast. But they're all the way up in NJ, NY & CT. I'll keep you all updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 04:01 AM

9 posts, read 49,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
no contest for me, SD. p-mouth is a pain--no good mass transit, a bridge or a tunnel in every direction--traffic can be a huge pain. bugs and humid in summer, cold in winter. cheaper and relatively more easy (time it to the traffic) to get to nearby areas for more big-city recreation and culture if you are into that (DC, Baltimore, even Philly and New york), vs LA.

the residential areas near the hospital at portsmouth are very scary except some parts of old town portsmouth. near balboa there are really wonderful areas in bankers hill, little italy, north park, hillcrest, south park, downtown (draw a 2-3 mile radius circle around both hospitals)

good luck
jim
Amen to the Portsmouth travel, that was the worst I've ever lived in. I'm not in SD yet but I have really high hopes!

Old 06-29-2008, 08:17 AM

9 posts, read 26,360 times
We live in Va Beach now & we took recruiting orders just to get back to SD. We haven't even been here 2 full years yet. We can not stand it. It is more expensive for us to actually live here than it was for us to live in Ca. Our savings took a hit coming here. And the people are rude, most rudest people I have ever seen. Traffic sucks - everywhere you go you sit on bridge or tunnel traffic, and people can't drive. The list of things I hate is longer than my arm. Stay far away from this area. SD is the way to go.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 AM

98 posts, read 345,039 times
San Diego all the way. I've lived in DC and other parts of VA. San Diego in heaven on earth.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 PM

105 posts, read 338,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobie73 View Post
San Diego all the way. I've lived in DC and other parts of VA. San Diego in heaven on earth.
Ditto. I've lived all over the state of VA (chesapeake, portsmouth, norfolk, gloucester county, king william county, richmond and warrenton) and NOTHING out there comes close to SD. I'm still trying to find the right part of the county for myself, but I could be happy almost anywhere out here. I'm actually working more that I did in north(west)ern VA but with half the stress since I actually have things to enjoy once I'm off. I do miss the fact that in VA, there are so few fun things to do that friends learn to get together and sort of create their own fun. There seems to be a little less of that type of 'improvisation' out here from what I've seen so far. Basically, if Virginians are talkers, San Diegans are doers. Not a bad thing at all once you get used to it.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:13 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylilkelly View Post
Thanks!
I think I would like living in SD as well....I'm just a bit disheartened by some of these threads that talk about how much they don't like SD ppl....that they're all about themselves & its hard to meet ppl.
You know, that's what I just don't get. Who say's San Diego ppl are rude or mean or whatever? I'm a native and I never noticed anyone being anymore unkind than people anywhere or being all about "them". We left a few years back because we wanted a change, went to Missouri, and people had different interests there but they weren't any nicer than all the people back home I know, same here in Georgia, you hear about Southern Hospitality, well it's just about being kind and having manners, something we do in San Diego as well.
If you put yourself out there, and treat people with respect, they will do the same, unless they are jerks, but San Diego dosn't have the market on that.
I'm just saying all that so that you don't base your decision on what you've heard SD people are like. We are nice and friendly like anyone anywhere. People in my neighborhood waved at you as you were coming and leaving, something they don't do here in my subdivision in Georgia!

Good luck with your decision, I know it must be hard!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:13 AM

284 posts, read 1,016,743 times
Hi, my husband and I lived in the VA Beach area for 2 years and loved it. The traffic is a real pain though, that is very true. Rush hour can be completely maddening!

I would say the Winter's are not cold, especially when compared to Michigan, but it can be cool and rainy (about 50 degrees). I never saw snow in the Hampton Roads area but I guess on a rare occasion they see a little of the white stuff. If you take a drive to the mountains I'm sure there is plenty there though.

Another difference from SD is that it is very flat! The mountains are about 3 hours away, which makes for nice weekend trips, especially in the Fall. The Blue Ridge mountains are lush and gorgeous!

If you like history you will really enjoy VA. Lots of historical landmarks and sites to see, especially in Williamsburg!

Personally, I didn't experience a big bug problem. Not like when we lived in Florida! They do have roaches but I only saw a in one of the apartments we were living in. It didn't help that we were in a lower level unit, but once the management had the place sprayed and we never saw them again or in any other apartment we lived in.

Overall, I find SD more appealing for a variety of reasons (that I will let others point out), but I wouldn't rule out VA Beach altogether or be discouraged if that's where you have to go. The housing is considerably cheaper there and since you'll be coming into the area with an income you should have no problem. If not, I would have to warn you about the fact that employment opportunities are not the greatest out there and the pay is pretty weak!

Places you will most want to consider living in are Chesapeake and VA Beach. Hope this has helped in some way!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 PM

10 posts, read 22,318 times
I'm in VA now and can't wait for San Diego where we'll be going soon. I am from the west coast and although west coast people may be more honest I would take that anyday over the fakeness you find in VA. All southern hospitality really means is smiling at your face and then whispering behind your back. If you plan on spending any time outside plan to deal with sweat and bugs because of the humidity. If you have to come here definitely stick with the Chesapeake/Suffolk area. It's better than the rest but if you have a choice I would definitely suggest San Diego

Old 03-25-2009, 10:08 PM

105 posts, read 338,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwait4cali View Post
I'm in VA now and can't wait for San Diego where we'll be going soon. I am from the west coast and although west coast people may be more honest I would take that anyday over the fakeness you find in VA. All southern hospitality really means is smiling at your face and then whispering behind your back. If you plan on spending any time outside plan to deal with sweat and bugs because of the humidity. If you have to come here definitely stick with the Chesapeake/Suffolk area. It's better than the rest but if you have a choice I would definitely suggest San Diego
That's MUCH more true in VA than the real south, but I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego