U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-23-2013, 02:43 PM

9,712 posts, read 23,343,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Not just the Camp Pendelton shelter, all of them. I was at the shelter on Gaines Street yesterday, I had two comforters and a dog bed that had been thrown out. I washed them, donated them, and while I was there, took a look at the cats and dogs.

There weren't as many cats as I thought there would be, and I only saw three kittens, but it's not kitten season, either. Most of the dogs were pit bulls or big dogs, but there were some smaller ones, too.

Oh shelters are chock full. Just wait until kitten season, which is right around the corner. People don't have enough sense to spay/neuter. Actually, what I was referring to in my Pendleton shelter comment was towards all the guys/gals, that are being deployed, and have found no choice, but to give up their pets to the Shelter. Heartbreaking for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 03:02 PM

8,631 posts, read 11,630,470 times
I know, I'd like to have more pets, but just can't do it. It's probably a good thing that I rent, because I'd have a lot more!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I know, I'd like to have more pets, but just can't do it. It's probably a good thing that I rent, because I'd have a lot more!
LOL I think my houses have always had neon signs over them:" Dump your pets here,I'll give them a great home"! We're full here....just can't afford to feed and vet anymore and keep us fed too! Plus my vacuum already works overtime!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM

I moved in with no cats, but since there were several strays, I started feeding them. My two were left behind by former tenants, and they're both senior cats. I was told that they were outside for 10 years, of which I don't know whether that's true or not.

One cat moved in after three months, the other after four years. Neither of them have any desire to go outside again. And there are "extras" that come around, that would love to move in, too!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I moved in with no cats, but since there were several strays, I started feeding them. My two were left behind by former tenants, and they're both senior cats. I was told that they were outside for 10 years, of which I don't know whether that's true or not.

One cat moved in after three months, the other after four years. Neither of them have any desire to go outside again. And there are "extras" that come around, that would love to move in, too!

Awww...what a big heart you have! Thanks for being so kind!

AND...just to keep this thread on tract....another coyote trotting across the back property early this morning around 7ish. I went out the back door and as soon as he heard the door open and saw me, he ran away like his tail was on fire! He/she was very small.....maybe 30 lbs. If nothing else, our Golden out weighs, this guy anyway, by 70 lbs!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 PM

I live in the city, and don't live close enough to where the coyotes are, and I haven't seen or heard any since I've been here. But when I lived in Tucson, they would walk across the street in the downtown areas in the middle of the day. When I lived in Sacramento, I worked in an office building in an area that wasn't totally built up yet, and I used to see and hear the coyotes, along with wild turkeys, pheasants, rabbits, and of course, stray cats.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM

This comment was posted on the Channel 8 news website. It's from the son of the woman that owned the dogs.

My mother was the owner of these dogs so I thought I should leave a comment: First of all, I agree 100% with some of you that people like my mom should not own dogs. My mom actually has a history of getting dogs and then giving them away months later when they become too burdensome for her. I hate to say it, but she's just kind of an irresponsible person. A couple corrections: This attack happened in Rancho Santa Fe (where my mom lives), not East County. Secondly, my mom's property is surrounded by a pretty tall fence (probably 6 feet, but not certain), but my sister told me she saw the coyotes jump over the fence! My sister was the one who ran out of the house and saved the dogs. Anyway, I hope Sophie and Leni find a loving home (Lulu was actually Leni's twin, which my mom discarded about a month ago. I guess now they're both at the same shelter?)

Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
This comment was posted on the Channel 8 news website. It's from the son of the woman that owned the dogs.

My mother was the owner of these dogs so I thought I should leave a comment: First of all, I agree 100% with some of you that people like my mom should not own dogs. My mom actually has a history of getting dogs and then giving them away months later when they become too burdensome for her. I hate to say it, but she's just kind of an irresponsible person. A couple corrections: This attack happened in Rancho Santa Fe (where my mom lives), not East County. Secondly, my mom's property is surrounded by a pretty tall fence (probably 6 feet, but not certain), but my sister told me she saw the coyotes jump over the fence! My sister was the one who ran out of the house and saved the dogs. Anyway, I hope Sophie and Leni find a loving home (Lulu was actually Leni's twin, which my mom discarded about a month ago. I guess now they're both at the same shelter?)

SMH I have no words......except that: the dogs are so much better off.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 PM

24 posts, read 40,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The best is actually a wolf hound/greyhound mix We used to hunt Coyotes with greyhounds and a couple of the mix thrown in. They are slower but when the greys roll the yote long enough for the wolfs to get there it's game over pretty fast.
Well, I wouldn't know, but you are probably right- especially if you are hunting yotes. But to just be left alone, a pyr is a great bet too!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 AM

17,177 posts, read 13,095,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps16 View Post
Well, I wouldn't know, but you are probably right- especially if you are hunting yotes. But to just be left alone, a pyr is a great bet too!
No sane yote would mess with one of those. Not even a pack. Too much risk of getting injured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego