Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:06 AM

6 posts, read 25,317 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been living in Eastlake for only 3 years and would like to know how this neighborhood was like around pre-2000. Except for knowing Eastlake was ranch land before the homes were built here, I don't know anything else.

This thread is mostly open to residents of Eastlake but others can answer too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 03:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,341 times
Well until about 1991 it was all open space full of cows and stuff.Then in 93 the High School,Vons,Rite Aid began to take shape.The only streets where Eastlake,Greensview,Otay Lakes,and Clubhouse.That's it.Then in 1999 Hunte,and the middle section of Eastlake Pkwy opened.Then in 03 the northern edge where Islands(ohhh so good)Target,Lowes,Kohls was built.05 Saw the opening of one strip mall at Olympic and Eastlake and the mall opened in 06.Eastlake then went past Olympic and now connects to Hunte at it's southern terminus with about 5 streets that go across east to west from Hunte to Eastlake.

I don't live in the development but I frequent the area,my brother was an EHS grad in 97,and I kind of know the history because well it pretty much started 20 years ago.I live in Rancho Del Rey.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,467 times
JK summed it up very well. I've been there since 1993 and have seen a tremendous amount of change. When I moved there in 1993, all the strip malls, etc. that are there now were already planned as was the 125 toll road, but there was nothing there. Everyone still drove into Western Chula Vista for shopping, restaurants, etc. The closest grocery store was a Ralph's near Southwestern College. There was supposed to be a Kaiser Hospital (larger than Zion S.D.) where Target/Lowe's now is but for some reason they pulled out. There were cattle grazing where L.A. Fitness now is on Otay Lakes as recently as '95 or '96! Many preferred the more "countrified" days of Eastlake, but with all the new shopping, eateries, etc. all nearby, I have to say I am loving that area now more than ever!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:25 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
JK summed it up very well. I've been there since 1993 and have seen a tremendous amount of change. When I moved there in 1993, all the strip malls, etc. that are there now were already planned as was the 125 toll road, but there was nothing there. Everyone still drove into Western Chula Vista for shopping, restaurants, etc. The closest grocery store was a Ralph's near Southwestern College. There was supposed to be a Kaiser Hospital (larger than Zion S.D.) where Target/Lowe's now is but for some reason they pulled out. There were cattle grazing where L.A. Fitness now is on Otay Lakes as recently as '95 or '96! Many preferred the more "countrified" days of Eastlake, but with all the new shopping, eateries, etc. all nearby, I have to say I am loving that area now more than ever!
Long time no talk to buddy.How are you?I didn't know you lived there since 93.I forgot about the Kaiser thing.Same here,I love it.I did picture this coming though.I sort of wish there was more because a lot of the extras are settled at the OL@Eastlake or Olympic@Eastlake intersections.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Long time no talk to buddy.How are you?I didn't know you lived there since 93.I forgot about the Kaiser thing.Same here,I love it.I did picture this coming though.I sort of wish there was more because a lot of the extras are settled at the OL@Eastlake or Olympic@Eastlake intersections.
Yep JK--a lot of changes since 1993--all the cows are GONE! I wish the Kaiser thing had gone through as I think we could use a larger hospital down here--I think we needed that more than a Lowe's. You're right - most of the shopping is crowded at those two intersections. I think "The Walk" (with Henry's and Trader Joe's)is the nicest of all the new shopping--very pretty with the fountains and restaurants. I am not real keen on the Otay Ranch Town Center, though I'm glad to see Best Buy and other slightly more affordable stores going in there--smart move on their part. This just is not an "I'm off to the spa" type area IMHO--too many people are struggling to keep their homes.

Last edited by jkoz; 07-02-2008 at 01:04 AM..

Old 07-02-2008, 01:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 12,400,459 times
Thanks for the brief history lesson on Eastlake. I'm kind of embarrassed that I've never driven through there - either when it was a country or now that it's been suburbanized.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,176 times
Thanks "jksouthbay88" and "jkoz" on the history lesson of Eastlake. My wife is Navy and we live off Telegraph Canyon near the 805 right now. But we do almost all are shopping in Eastlake.

I take my kids to the park next to Eastlake Highschool and to Mountain View park as well....you can't beat the scenery at Mountain View.

We have only been in San Diego area for a little over a year now and the Navy is shipping us back east to Maryland (DC area) and we're not happy about it at all. We knew this could happen because my wife was just here to go to school for a year ( its just part of being military).

But in the mean time we really fell in love with Chula Vista and especially the Eastlake area. When the time comes and she's up for orders again we are going to try and come back , but this time we plan on staying for good and making it our home and raising our family here.

Of course the weather is a big draw for most people , but for us we found that we are really going to miss the people and the low crime. Also everything else the whole San Diego area has to offer as well. Hiking, beaches , boating etc.

We leave in August and have to be in DC for three years and although we haven't left yet....we already miss it.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:55 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
I think "The Walk" (with Henry's and Trader Joe's)is the nicest of all the new shopping--very pretty with the fountains and restaurants.
I agree, "The Walk" is my favorite shopping center. I love the fountains, Frank Sinatra music, the walkways and outdoor eating. Otay Ranch is still a nice mall but I understand what you're saying, many of the "boutique" stores are very pricey. But, the other malls aren't too far away.

I miss the cows grazing on the ranch land but there are still red tail hawks and owls around. We take the backcountry roads out to Barrett Junction, Dulzura, etc...and it feels like you are getting away from it all.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:26 PM

6 posts, read 25,317 times
Thanks so much for the replies, jksouthbay88 & jkoz. Lately, I've been interesting in knowing about the history of my neighborhood so therefore, that's why I asked.

From both of your answers, it makes me want to go back in time and actually see how Eastlake was like back when it was just getting under way. It makes it seem like if it was a different place back then. THERE WERE COWS BACK THEN! That must been cool to live back then with cattle. Nowadays, there is no cattle, at least I don't think. There could be some in the outskirts of Eastlake.

But still, I appreciate the convenice of Eastlake and all it has to offer. I love how everything you need is at your fingertips almost. Yes, the malls are nice but there are at least 7 alone in Eastlake- too much for one area.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconhead View Post
Thanks so much for the replies, jksouthbay88 & jkoz. Lately, I've been interesting in knowing about the history of my neighborhood so therefore, that's why I asked.

From both of your answers, it makes me want to go back in time and actually see how Eastlake was like back when it was just getting under way. It makes it seem like if it was a different place back then. THERE WERE COWS BACK THEN! That must been cool to live back then with cattle. Nowadays, there is no cattle, at least I don't think. There could be some in the outskirts of Eastlake.

But still, I appreciate the convenice of Eastlake and all it has to offer. I love how everything you need is at your fingertips almost. Yes, the malls are nice but there are at least 7 alone in Eastlake- too much for one area.
Here's a link, complete with pictures, of the history of Eastlake ("Rancho Janal") from pre-1846. It's interesting and strange to see the land sans the thousands of homes. Estudillo would be shocked to see his "ranch" today!

Click below:

Eastlake Timeline

Last edited by jkoz; 07-03-2008 at 12:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego