Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 01:59 PM

29 posts, read 93,350 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody...
I am moving to San Diego in about 1.5 months and I am really excited. I used to live in LA and would come down on the weekends and preferred it to LA. I moved to NYC after LA, and that's where I am now. I don't like NYC at all and look forward to putting it behind me.
I will live in the Gaslamp/downtown area. I have a unique situation: I will work from home, so I will not have a daily commute, and many amenities will be within a short walk of the buildings I will look at, and thus I want to avoid buying a car as long as possible, for all the obvious reasons. I can rent on the weekends if I need one. My question is: how feasible/possible is it to bike from Gaslamp/downtown to OP/PB/MB? Distances aren't too bad but I am not sure if the streets will be unsafe (traffic) etc. Does anybody else do this? thanks, and I appreciate all the threads on San Diego, this is helping me prepare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:17 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
It's feasible but not fun. I did it for years. Safer and easier to take the trolley / bus. Not having a car in San Diego is not recommended. San Diego requires a car to experience all the area has to offer. This is Southern California - the birthplace of car culture.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:24 PM

agreed on the car long term. I want to see long I can hold out. The beach is the only thing I don't want to miss out on during my non-car "experiment". I'll try it a couple of times and report back. I didn't even think of the trolley to the beach...

Old 07-08-2008, 06:39 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,239 times
One option is to take the ferry from downtown to Coronado, a nice beach but not exactly PB, OB or MB. Otherwise, the best way I could find was to take Pacific highway (a marked bike route but not too pleasant) to the bike path that goes out to OB and MB. It's really not too bad and of course the weather is nearly always perfect, especially coming from NYC!

Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
One option is to take the ferry from downtown to Coronado, a nice beach but not exactly PB, OB or MB. Otherwise, the best way I could find was to take Pacific highway (a marked bike route but not too pleasant) to the bike path that goes out to OB and MB. It's really not too bad and of course the weather is nearly always perfect, especially coming from NYC!
I did PCH and/or harbor drive from City College up over point loma to OB every day for a year and almost got killed repeatedly before I started taking the bus. Bike path to Old Town + trolley would be better but not much better, you still have to navigate the deadly Midway traffic nightmare. I like the ferry to Coronado idea best.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:24 PM

I'm visiting Aug 7-17 to find an apt, so I will check out a few routes (in a rental car) and see how bad it looks. Anything with "highway" in it doesn't sound too good! Coronado will be done, but gotta hit em all...
thanks for the info, and I am def looking to head out there

Old 07-08-2008, 07:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I did PCH and/or harbor drive from City College up over point loma to OB every day for a year and almost got killed repeatedly before I started taking the bus. Bike path to Old Town + trolley would be better but not much better, you still have to navigate the deadly Midway traffic nightmare. I like the ferry to Coronado idea best.
ditto a space case with a cell phone in his ear and his foot to the floor almost nailed me 2 saturdays ago. trolley is ok. but biking it is high risk. im back in the car. you can't save gas if you are dead. its not about your driving its about them. ditto i just love the ferry ride.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 07-08-2008 at 07:43 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtosandiego24 View Post
Hi everybody...
I am moving to San Diego in about 1.5 months and I am really excited. I used to live in LA and would come down on the weekends and preferred it to LA. I moved to NYC after LA, and that's where I am now. I don't like NYC at all and look forward to putting it behind me.
I will live in the Gaslamp/downtown area. I have a unique situation: I will work from home, so I will not have a daily commute, and many amenities will be within a short walk of the buildings I will look at, and thus I want to avoid buying a car as long as possible, for all the obvious reasons. I can rent on the weekends if I need one. My question is: how feasible/possible is it to bike from Gaslamp/downtown to OP/PB/MB? Distances aren't too bad but I am not sure if the streets will be unsafe (traffic) etc. Does anybody else do this? thanks, and I appreciate all the threads on San Diego, this is helping me prepare!
Hahahha. I was in your situation 5 months ago. Lived in LA for a real long time, moved to NYC for a couple of years, and now back to California (SD). I am glad I am out of LA and NYC.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM

heck yeah! getting out of here before winter!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:38 PM

what if I took the trolley from downtown to Old Town (bike in hand) and then went from there. The bike map I received from ridelink seems to show more bike paths in that area, for all 3 beaches...

Last edited by newtosandiego24; 07-10-2008 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego