Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 05:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,468 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

So basically I've decided that it's time for me to leave Chicago. I've been out here my whole life, and I feel that if I don't break away now, I may never.

So I was wondering if you guys could help. I'm looking for the right areas to be apartment hunting in San Diego.
I'm 21 years old, and currently not attending school.. So, I guess I'm probably looking for some more lively, yet safe areas.
After reading everyones suggestions, I will be bringing my car, so I'm thinking somewhere thats car friendly (more like parking friendly) too.
As far as for what I'm looking to spend in rent, something around $800 will top it off.
Now a friend of mine just moved from out here to Clairemont, is that a good place for me to be looking?

Also, as for as the beach neighborhoods, is Pacific Beach alright?

Thanks guys for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 01:09 AM

31 posts, read 126,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollister902 View Post
Hey everyone.

So basically I've decided that it's time for me to leave Chicago. I've been out here my whole life, and I feel that if I don't break away now, I may never.

So I was wondering if you guys could help. I'm looking for the right areas to be apartment hunting in San Diego.
I'm 21 years old, and currently not attending school.. So, I guess I'm probably looking for some more lively, yet safe areas.
After reading everyones suggestions, I will be bringing my car, so I'm thinking somewhere thats car friendly (more like parking friendly) too.
As far as for what I'm looking to spend in rent, something around $800 will top it off.
Now a friend of mine just moved from out here to Clairemont, is that a good place for me to be looking?

Also, as for as the beach neighborhoods, is Pacific Beach alright?

Thanks guys for all your help!
WOOOOOOW!!! you're basically me! i too am moving from chicago to most likely San Diego by spring of next year , and im looking for something in ur price range also, but somewhere near everything... BUT you have a HUGE advantage-- you will be driving!

the areas im looking into will be Downtown Gaslamp/Core/Horton Plaza/East Village/Cortez Hill areas and also North Park {above balboa park}, but i heard downtown isn't very good with parking-- some other areas i heard were great were basically all around Balboa Park just don't go towards East SD because it's a bad area!

[im just telling you what i already know/heard from my research, but then again we are floating in the same boat ]

Old 07-11-2008, 01:34 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
For liveliness, Pacific Beach is where you would want to be, but I don't see your being able to afford it. Clairemont is not lively, but it is close to Pacific Beach. The various neighborhoods of downtown might also work for you, again except for the price. Parking really wouldn't be a problem downtown if you were living in some of the newer apartments built in the last 20 years because they were built after the zoning laws mandated parking. Parking in Pacific Beach can be more problematic because more of the apartments were built before the design standards were changed.

You might enjoy Ocean Beach, but again that area does pose some parking issues, and I doubt you could find anything in your price range, but give it a look.

Therefore, given your price range and your desire to be somewhere nearer to nightlife, I would look to the basic square bounded by I-8 on the north, I-5 on the west, I-805 on east, and the southern boundary of Balboa Park to the south. This area includes the neighborhoods of Hillcrest, Mission Hills, Little Italy and Park West, which will probably be out of your price range, plus the neighborhoods of North Park, University Heights, and South Park where you should be able to find something in your range. You should also consider Normal Heights which is just east of the 805. All of these areas will have a selection of mostly older apartments which just might be within your price range. This issues with older apartments are that they won't have dishwashers, probably won't have A/C, and may not even have a laundry room on site. They probably should have at least one assigned parking space for you, but that's not always true either. Be sure to ask about the parking and laundry facilities.

Your very BEST choice would be for you and your Clairemont friend to share an apartment and split the rent. That would open up a LOT more possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: