Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:05 PM

200 posts, read 1,021,613 times

Advertisements

Aloha

For any considering a move to Hawaii from SD....think again. We recently left SD for Maui and are now doing all we can to get back! We have lived in Hawaii for many years prior but our kids were much younger than. The schools here are horrible, the culture is questionable, weather is much hotter here, expensive, beautiful beaches, people are sketchy, lots of outdoor activities, list goes on and on.

-San Diego has great schools, perfect weather, is expensive, normal people for the most part, conveinance everywhere, kept up communities, very populated and busy, more opportunity to advance, etc.......

-Just wanted to vent! San Diego here we come.....again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,489 times
Yes, you are right. I lived in Hawaii and would never live there again (with kids anyway). But, it's still one of my favorite of all places to visit! I love the culture, the beauty and that it's such a melting pot.

My dh was horrified at the largest newspaper in the islands, written at below an 8th grade education.

I went to public school there for awhile, we were taking spelling tests in the 10th grade! Our teachers were pot-smoking surfer dudes. Everyone carried pot around at school in little baggies and in the form of leis. They would go in the bathroom to smoke it and then pass it through the windows when the principal made their rounds.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:14 PM

Default that's funny

Yeah, I know all about the pot. My oldest who has never been exposed to any of that stuff saw it on his first day here at public school. The cops were at his school at least 2 days out of the week for fights, drugs or alcohol!

People who move here with kids are horrified by the schools and they will never get any better. Todays paper had Hawaii schools at the lowest levels again on the front page!

It's beautiful here but not worth the trade offs for sure for living full time.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:20 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,572,690 times
Ohhh man.I have an uncle that has lived in HLU(Saint Louis Hgts) area for the last 30 years and almost a year ago he had to get out of Hawaii.He also was a teacher and the schools in Hawaii suck so bad it's not even funny.Could not take it anymore.Now he lives in PHX and the people are "crazy" to him.He is considering San Diego but is leaning away more as a place to visit rather than live.Though I call San Diego a "postcard city"(dressed nice for visitors but an ok or not so great place for locals) Hawaii is the biggest "postcard" in the US by far.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:02 PM

365 posts, read 1,418,878 times
I wouldn't mind retiring in HI, but when I lived there I got bored and I didn't see too many opportunities for work and growth as a youngin' in his early 20s at the time.

Come on back to SD!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 02:27 PM

188 posts, read 919,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
Yes, you are right. I lived in Hawaii and would never live there again (with kids anyway). But, it's still one of my favorite of all places to visit! I love the culture, the beauty and that it's such a melting pot.

My dh was horrified at the largest newspaper in the islands, written at below an 8th grade education.

I went to public school there for awhile, we were taking spelling tests in the 10th grade! Our teachers were pot-smoking surfer dudes. Everyone carried pot around at school in little baggies and in the form of leis. They would go in the bathroom to smoke it and then pass it through the windows when the principal made their rounds.
ROFL about pot-smoking surfer dudes, everytime there was a swell on the northside I knew I would have all subs that day. The teachers were nice, but complete space cadets when it came to teaching material. Sometimes I miss living Hawaii, sometimes I wonder how I made it out.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:09 PM

10 posts, read 35,376 times
I currently live in Maui and feel the same way. We have a 10 mo old and are trying to find somewhere to relocate. I would never raise my son here but we are trying to get ahead. Is san diego the place?
After reading the forums, it seems well suited.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:08 PM

Default San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by josfari View Post
I currently live in Maui and feel the same way. We have a 10 mo old and are trying to find somewhere to relocate. I would never raise my son here but we are trying to get ahead. Is san diego the place?
After reading the forums, it seems well suited.
Aloha

We feel like San Diego is the best place on earth to live. We have lived on the east coast, midwest, west and pacific regions at different points in our lives....San Diego by far has the most to offer and the only real negative we have found there is the cost of housing which seems to be declining more and more in todays market. The weather and schools are perfect. Weather is always in the 70's with an occasional hot day here and there in the 90's during the summer with cool nights....schools are all top rated as long as you stay closer to North County San Diego. Crime to pretty low compared to other cities but again, stay in North County and things are much better.

We have decided to give Maui one year. We just got back here for the third time and hated the idea of packing up and moving so quickly even though we all long to be in San Diego again. Maui is great but the weather is too hot for us and the schools are just plain horrible. -Lots of talk about improving school system here but nothing ever gets done. Changes here on the island of any kind are rarely seen or followed through with.

Good luck

Old 08-14-2008, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,873 times
I had thought I wanted to teach in Hawaii but after all the horrible things that have been posted I don't think it would be a good fit. I am hispanic and my husband is white and we have two school aged daughters. It seems like Hawaii would be a hostile environment for our young family because of its disorganized school system with subpar education made worse by racisim.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:50 PM

190 posts, read 704,416 times
North County is part of the metro region but is not part of the city at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego