Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 02:18 PM

10 posts, read 21,108 times

Advertisements

Hey Sassberto, just want to say thanks for your previous help! Okay, this is my final plea for your assistance. Unlike many of the threads on here I am actually further along than most people. I have a job lined up down in Mission valley starting in September. I have settled on apartments in La Mesa. The SDSU area below 70th seemed like the pits to me! I drove there last week and found that the area near grossmont center is prime choice on the north side of the 8 freeway. I did stay at a motel on el cajon blvd and 70th and the area looked okay...but not great. I now have a list going of several apartments on either side of the 8 (for example some listed on spring street and saranac st). I would like to have a lease signed by this wednesday. What i am wondering is if you would recommend the area that is near university and baltimore or spring streets. Or is the area good near 70th and el cajon? Or basically should I just attempt to sign a lease with a property up near jackson and lake murray? I have gone on apartment ratings and some of the reviews are decent and unfortunately others are flat out liars. I guess its a matter of visiting in person? Your thoughts...and any suggestions on particular properties you find that are pretty good. Also didnt really notice gangs in area but did see signs posted at grossmont wal mart about vehicle theft.

Oh yeah and one last thing... your input on having the Ravelco installed on my honda before moving out. Worth the money or not? Vehicle theft is high, honda cost me 16k and for 400 dollars dont want it stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 02:26 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaBarbaraBoy1 View Post
What i am wondering is if you would recommend the area that is near university and baltimore or spring streets. Or is the area good near 70th and el cajon? Or basically should I just attempt to sign a lease with a property up near jackson and lake murray?
Lake Murray is the better area. University and Baltimore is OK too. I would not rent an apartment anywhere around ECB & 70th. As for the question regarding the car, I can't answer as I am unsure what you are asking about. Just get a club.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 07-22-2008 at 02:36 PM..

Old 07-22-2008, 04:27 PM

10 posts, read 21,108 times
The ravelco is an engine, gas line, alternator immobilizer that has never been beaten and endorsed by police agencies over the lo/jack. Have heard that the "club" is useless and has been for quite some time now. Anyway, just curious how much farther east of baltimore on the SDSU side toward the 125 interstate should I be looking for apartments. Better yet, what about past the 125 around lemon ave and beyond? And yes you are right I stayed at the Days inn on ECB and 70th...nothing happened but as you go down 70th it starts to look like little TJ.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:35 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaBarbaraBoy1 View Post
Anyway, just curious how much farther east of baltimore on the SDSU side toward the 125 interstate should I be looking for apartments. Better yet, what about past the 125 around lemon ave and beyond? And yes you are right I stayed at the Days inn on ECB and 70th...nothing happened but as you go down 70th it starts to look like little TJ.
Anywhere in that area is fine. In these areas the apartments are often pretty dumpy. Almost everyone lives in a house. Once you get down into lemon grove and beyond it's not as nice. The neighborhoods off 70th are actually fine but they are mostly homes and not apartments. You have to go into the neighborhood instead and away from the main streets. It's more of an area for someone looking for a cheap house to buy than for a rental apartment. The apartments attract some pretty sketchy people and that is kind of a problem all over the east side of SD and La Mesa. Overall though it's nothing to be afraid of.

If you are really concerned about how the neighborhood looks I would stick with Lake Murray. It is a really nice area. San Carlos to the north is also good for rented apartments. Tierrasanta, Mission Valley, that whole east / central area is good too.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:21 PM

28 posts, read 108,182 times
Just a thought- have you looked at downtown La Mesa? There are plenty of rentals and the area is very nice. It is the older part of La Mesa with a lot of charm. I have lived here for 12 years and have never had a problem. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:02 AM

11 posts, read 124,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
If you are really concerned about how the neighborhood looks I would stick with Lake Murray. It is a really nice area. San Carlos to the north is also good for rented apartments. Tierrasanta, Mission Valley, that whole east / central area is good too.
Sassberto, I generally agree with you but in this case I think you need to make a distinction between apartments near Lake Murray itself or those on Lake Murray Blvd. There's a huge difference.

The apartments in San Carlos on Lake Murray Blvd between Jackson Dr and Navajo Rd and pretty awful now. Some are apartments and some are condos, but drugs and crime are on the rise and the people walking across the street to Albertsons look pretty sketchy to me. These apartments used to be predominately occupied by students, but now they seem to be more lower income families.

Apartments and condos in San Carlos that are west of Cowles Mtn are still nice. Anything along Baltimore Dr is nice too, but that is La Mesa, not San Carlos. Downtown La Mesa is also fine, and has a lot of things within walking distance.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:44 AM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times
I have lived in La Mesa for 5 years now while I went through college. My suggestion: Stay NORTH of the 8. I current live on El Cajon blvd south of the 8. While its a great straight shot to school and my townhome is brand new, the area is a little dumpy. Downtown La Mesa is alright. But by far, my favorite place was on Baltimore right on the lake in the private condos. You can find some for rent or look at property management companies like MTM- they do a lot in that complex. Here is one for example: San Diego Real Estate, La Mesa Real Estate, San Diego County Real Estate, MTM Property Management & Real Estate Sales (http://www.mtmrentals.com/ListNow/Property.aspx?PropertyID=1799005 - broken link). Anyways, good luck on your search and DM me if you have any questions. I might be leaving for Austin Texas soon, but I am still happy to help someone who wants to move to San Diego.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 12,193 times
I grew up in La Mesa most of my life and the Grossmont area is very nice and mellow. Most of La Mesa is nice for the most part. El Cajon Blvd in general has always been rough around the edges within the last 30 yrs. It has had a known reputation amongst SD natives of high prostitution throughout the years of illegal drug dealing and distribution. It's always been a shady vibe there from West La Mesa where it starts, to far West SD near park blvd where it ends. It's scuzzy for the most part to be honest. I'd definetly go for the grossmont area. Real nice area and direct access for shopping and restaurants. Plus has a real low crime rate. That's just my opinion tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego