Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 9,097 times

Advertisements

I'm going to have to vote with the Downtown scene along with most of these other folks.

1. Downtown (Little Italy, Gaslamp - whichever) has a great, young (not too young) social scene which you'll love. Tons of variety of venues and a lot of energy.
2. If you can commute via coaster DO IT!!! The commute from ANY coastal area to Sorrento Valley is going to kill you unless you're coming from Del Mar. Even La Jolla, expect 45 minutes in the morning if you're going to live near the beach.
3. By 'sterile' we mean 'Stepford Wife' sterile.

Living near a nice, clean beach is expensive. So, there's 'old money' or 'lotsa money' near the coast unless you're in PB or OB where there's a huge young, hippie, and homeless population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 11:58 PM

4 posts, read 14,988 times
Well there's certainly a trend here. So here's my next ignorant question...

Many people in San Diego have a beach component to their lifestyle, yes? How do singles in the 20's/30's do the beach thing (I realize not all people do this)? If one lives somewhere other than PB, do you just drive to the beach all the time?

Thanks again for the comments. Just trying to understand the dynamics of living in the different areas.

Also, in addition to the COASTER option, if I wanted to commute from LI to Sorrento on my motorcycle, what sort of commute time should I expect during rush?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:59 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,417,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuskie View Post
Many people in San Diego have a beach component to their lifestyle, yes? How do singles in the 20's/30's do the beach thing (I realize not all people do this)? If one lives somewhere other than PB, do you just drive to the beach all the time?
If you want to go to the beach, you drive there. In fact, in San Diego, you get used to driving a lot.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:26 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,531,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuskie View Post
Well there's certainly a trend here. So here's my next ignorant question...

Thanks again for the comments. Just trying to understand the dynamics of living in the different areas.

Also, in addition to the COASTER option, if I wanted to commute from LI to Sorrento on my motorcycle, what sort of commute time should I expect during rush?
If you decide not to live in one of the many other San Diego beach communities then people generally drive to the beach. Public transit is pretty good to the beaches but not many locals with the option to drive seem to take it. If you live in Little Italy there are plenty of buses that take you to PB, MB, and OB and fairly often so if you don't feel like driving and having to park but want to live in LI then just take the bus to the beach.

The commute from Little Italy to Sorrento Valley is fine in the morning, you'll probably hit a little traffic on I-5 north until you get past the 8 freeway but it's not that bad. Coming home will be tougher though, there is a lot of traffic between the 5/805 split and Pacific Beach in the evening, it's not that long of a stretch but generally has some heavy traffic most days. BUT if you're in a motorcyle then you can just split the lane and drive in between cars so you'll never have to deal with the worst traffic.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:46 PM

130 posts, read 446,173 times
I DID do the 20's/30's beach thing (am now 38 so six years ahead of you) and did it by living there--primarily Crown Point (peninsula bordering/south PB) and then south Ocean Beach (OB is not for everyone, but south OB is on the quieter side...). I don't for a minute regret the rent I paid--or the extra commute time--to be in walking distance/etc. from the beach or bay. (There are actually a couple of ways to get in and out of OB, but it's not a quick "freeway" spot, though--IMO--quicker than north PB/Bird Rock area.)

I would say it really depends on how you want to spend your time. Note that the bar scene wasn't particularly important to me, but I did enjoy the occasional bar outing. For me, the smell of the ocean air and being able to walk to the beach, coffee shop, etc., run the cliffs, bike the bay trumped other considerations.

Little Italy is (IMO) a little more for the trendy/urban oriented--people also seem to like downtown, but it's too $$ and trendy for my taste. (I'm more of a flip-flop girl.) Encinitas might be worth checking out, but could (?) get to feel small after a while, though I have a friend (male) who lived there from 30 to 35 and loved it. In general, the north county beach areas have more of a sleepy-coastal feel. There's stuff to do but--as a previous poster said--only a couple of bars worth visiting in each.

If you like the outdoor fitness/running/biking thing, San Diego has a pretty good TriClub you might want to check out -- friend of mine met her husband there . North county beach areas seem to have lots of people into that... There's a nice volleyball constituent in San Diego too, if that's your thing...

Coaster/bike combo should work fine to Sorrento Valley.... Former OB neighbor regularly bikes to her job downtown (big hill involved) and another friend bikes from OB to the Old Town trolley stop (via bike paths) on occasion.

You might consider doing a short term rental until you figure out where you'd most like to be...?

Hope there's something helpful in there for you...

Old 08-11-2008, 04:55 PM

130 posts, read 446,173 times
Checking in for an update to see how your apartment-hunting trip went... Where did you end up?

(I hope you got my replies to your inquiry--your City-Data account did not accept a response here so I sent to your email.) In that, I sent the linke to the triclub, but I'll paste it here as well for others... Triathlon Club of San Diego

Old 09-18-2008, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,776 times
Default ........

I'm 37 and single I've been in San Diego for 3 years and still struggle with the same issues - unlike LA where you can live in Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica - which has beach and is professional, in SD you have to make a choice when you go to the beach. Either go to OB and live amongst the hippies, PB and live with the kids, La Jolla is extremely wealthy or Del Mar, which in my opinion is people with new money and lots of issues - loaded with spoiled kids, cougars and divorced old men looking for young as%.

- I agree with the others about Little Italy. Solana beach may be worth considering as well

Old 09-19-2008, 01:21 PM

37 posts, read 132,973 times
I don't know the area very well, but I was always seeing young professional living in the area aroudn Qualcomm stadium, on the western side. Is that Mission Hills?

I loved living "professionally" in Pacific Beach, but I did that when I was in the mid-20's. If I had to live somewhere now, it would be Point Loma or eastern Ocean Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego