Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 10,079 times

Advertisements

Just felt like westchester, ny is getting old fast and need a change. Got the idea in my head of moving to san diego and now im running with it. Got a friend to move out there with me and looking to buy a decent condo and do what 25 year old single guys do.

Would like to have a job before i go out there but that probably isnt likely to happen. Going out there with a B.A. in business management

any help on where to look for a place/ tips/ any type of feedback

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 08:41 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Well, you're not giving us much to go on here. We don't know what your budget is, what you like, dislike in a neighborhood. And of course you don't know where you are going to end up working.

I would try Clairemont or Mission Valley for your first apartment. You'll need to wait before you buy a condo (you'll need to establish your employment history before lenders will touch you. Both CM and MV are centrally located. They both have plenty of apartments, are midpriced, mid-everything. Mission Valley has trolley access to downtown which may be a plus, while Clairemont is further north, and chances are your employment will be north in Sorrento Valley/Mesa or Kearney Mesa. The other major employment area is Downtown, but as of yet you don't know where you'll be working.

Pacific Beach is a more young and hip kind of place, but you'll pay for the proximity to the ocean. Better to save your money first, get a job and see what your commute is like and in which direction.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:59 AM

77 posts, read 405,139 times
25 year olds can work at Mission Valley, Kearny Mesa, Downtown, Rancho Bernardo, down south, up north, etc. They may live in Pacific Beach, Hillcrest, North Park, downtown, etc. Those are the hip and fun living areas for the young single adult!!

25 year old single guys can work at Sorrento Valley, too. Many of them do!

If I can remember this in the late 80s and early 90s, all the 25 year old guys and gals did were establish their full-time professional career and made money - lots of money. It was a rat race for money. Some of them went on to pursue their master's degrees at UCSD or elsewhere.

Some lived in the condos and apartments of Mira Mesa because of affordability and some of them rented homes and had roommates. I didn't like the rented home part. We have a bunch of young lads in a home across from us moved in and at 1 am till about 4 am on Friday nights, they are loud and partying. Ugghhh.

But most of the action for the 25 year olds happened Friday night to Sunday. The rest of the week were mostly reserved for making money. They also form softball teams here and they play at the MM rec center and hourglass park. Some look for tennis partners at Craigslist and play tennis at Miramar or the tennis courts of their condos, etc. They probably go to the La Jolla shores on weekends to surf, dive, sail, etc., go play golf and enjoy the money that they earned.

Okay, okay. I have lived in Mira Mesa since I was 21 and worked at Sorrento Valley during that time.

MMs 1-2 bedroom apts/condo are more for the professional young adult and they probably go wild somewhere else in San Diego on the weekends. I have never seen the wild partying with booze/smoking in Mira Mesa. None of that here. The only partying I hear is lots of guys/gals shouting and playing some yard/table games and possibly video games. No smoking at all. Lots of UCSD students live in MM apts/condos, I heard.

So if there are any 25 year old single guys in MM, they are usually the non-wild ones during the week. Majority are non-smokers. In our neighborhood here, no one smokes at all.

So if you are young and hip, Clairemont, Mission Valley, North Park, Hillcrest, Downtown, Pacific Beach may be the best options.

Last edited by Mira-Mesa-Resident; 09-15-2008 at 01:44 AM..

Old 09-15-2008, 09:06 AM

14 posts, read 55,274 times
I'm 29, born east but grew up in SD. Condo? I guess it all depends on how much you have, being in close proximity to NYC, I'm sure you're familiar with higher costs of living. Condos are in the 600K+ range in SoCal, probably into the millions near the water.

There is less expensive community South of SD just north of the Border that might be and interesting look? Seems cheaper anyway. If I had to pick a spot, it would either be in just south of Hillcrest or Pacific Beach north of Tourmaline (too far south in PB and you're going to hear "WOOOOooooooo!!" on night when even you're not in the mood to storm the beach naked). Yes, that and you are just south of La Jolla where the sun only shines on 6+ figure incomes so you'll never be in danger of wearing the wrong color.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 AM

490 posts, read 1,555,289 times
Sorry guys, most replies on here aren't very helpful Let's see, you would probably like Pacific Beach, (college kids), North Park (funky, hipster), South Park, ( tatts & dive bars), and areas of downtown: Little Italy, Gaslamp ( tourists, young hot guys/ gals workin' in the clubs), East Village ( funky/ fun) . Condo prices are falling, probably get something for under $300,000 in these areas. Hundreds of high-rise units have been built downtown over the last few years, you can negotiate.
Jobs, you'll have to pound the pavement when you get here, but you guys should be fine if you present yourselves well. Good Luck
( good way to chat with young locals is Meetup.com & Yelp.com)

Old 09-15-2008, 10:51 AM

77 posts, read 405,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
Sorry guys, most replies on here aren't very helpful Let's see, you would probably like Pacific Beach, (college kids), North Park (funky, hipster), South Park, ( tatts & dive bars), and areas of downtown: Little Italy, Gaslamp ( tourists, young hot guys/ gals workin' in the clubs), East Village ( funky/ fun) . Condo prices are falling, probably get something for under $300,000 in these areas. Hundreds of high-rise units have been built downtown over the last few years, you can negotiate.
Jobs, you'll have to pound the pavement when you get here, but you guys should be fine if you present yourselves well. Good Luck
( good way to chat with young locals is Meetup.com & Yelp.com)
These are good points. That one that gets me wondering are the following:
1) Got a friend to move out there with me
2) looking to buy a decent condo and do what 25 year old single guys do.
3) Would like to have a job before i go out there but that probably isnt likely to happen.
4) Going out there with a B.A. in business management

Assumptions:
1) Westchester is suburbia with more Whites
2) He probably wears a suit to work
3) Ambitious with a bachelors degree by the age of 25
4) Probably looking for dates, then be ready to settle down with a girl and get married eventually
5) Median income of individuals at Westchester is $75K

We probably don't want him around people who do not have bachelor's degrees. We probably want him with people who are career-oriented but can have great fun with the money that they earn. He said he can buy a condo, so this guy has money. We probably don't want him at a place where there are too many ethnics so it would not be a big culture shock. We probably want him around some hot chicks under 25 years old looking for young professionals. He sounded bored at Westchester maybe because it's like suits, politics and work. He probably wants to enjoy the water, beaches to see people that are not in suits.

Pacific Beach would be heaven for this guy to meet hot girls that are younger than him. That place is becoming more professional and affluent probably because of the alcohol ban at beaches and the higher rental costs. I say rent there first then move to downtown/gaslamp if the area gets too young for him.

About Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach, San Diego, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pictures
"pacific beach" "san diego" - Google Image Search

Then he can work at Downtown, La Jolla or Mission Valley with his suit on.

Last edited by Mira-Mesa-Resident; 09-15-2008 at 11:51 AM..

Old 09-15-2008, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 10,079 times
thank you all so much for the replies

really appreciate the feedback!!!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 PM

138 posts, read 1,001,933 times
I don't know about straight up moving here and buying a place. You may want to rent for a year out here just so you know a good area you want to live in. Plus, it might be nice to rent in an area for a year, but I wouldn't want to buy property there (i.e. Pacific Beach)

Old 09-19-2008, 01:26 PM

37 posts, read 133,333 times
SD is known for Telecom, Bio-Med and Web. Those are the big three industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: