U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 11,310 times

Advertisements

I know there are many existing threads from other to-be SD people, but everyone's situation is slightly different. I'm hoping to get some neighborhood advice for renting my first year before deciding to buy or not. Here's the quick rundown:

- I'll be working in Sorrento Valley, but I expect most SD commutes will be reasonable compared to my Chicago traffic experience
- I'm 32 (male) and would prefer a decent amount of 26-34ish other single folks to be around...preferably with a female contingent.
- Mostly interested in a beach community since I won't be able to afford buying in one...I figured I should rent there. It's a cliche...but I'm coming to San Diego and want to get into the beach culture.
- Looking for a "scene"...but not the "I'm 24 and wanna get hammered" scene. Basically I'd like to be in an area where it's possible to walk to food/bars, be social, and date.
- I like all the outside fitness stuff...running, biking, etc

My impressions of some of the areas so far are:
Del Mar - older than what I'm looking for.
PB - younger than what I'm looking for and perhaps too high of a B.A.C.
LJ - I'm a couple million short and not fancy enough for this area

Any thoughts on:
Solana
Encinitas
Little Italy (not beachy, but I've heard it's an interesting area)
Point Loma
Mission Beach
Cardiff

Also, if I were to live somewhere in the city (LI, MB, PL), would it be reasonable to bike to the Coaster and then bike from the Coaster SV stop to my office in Sorrento Valley? Or taking it down from one of the areas north of Sorrento?

Any thoughts/advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 12:14 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,496,804 times
Hi Zuskie!

From what you have described so far, I think you would be impressed with Little Italy. In fact, I was just there tonight to have dinner for my birthday and got lots of video footage in my Canon Powershot. I am about to upload it to my PC, edit it and place it on my blog. I will provide a link here once I have done so. Hopefully that can give you a visual idea of the ambiance of the place without my having to describe it with subjective adjectives. It is true that it's walkable, has a scene but not too young (or old) nor too alcoholic. I've seen some beautiful young Italian women there as well... Not beachy but close to the water.

Anyway, I'll get that video posted and show you.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:24 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,496,804 times
I am surprised no one has responded to your question since the last time I posted on this thread... 56 views and no reply huh?

Common people, help this guy out and give him your wisdom!

Anyway, here is the video I mentioned before. I am proud to present this to you:

YouTube - Little Italy (San Diego) - On A Thursday Night

And please visit my blog here: The San Diego Turtle (http://www.sandiegoturtle.blogspot.com/ - broken link)

Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 PM

15,161 posts, read 23,770,686 times
You might want to look into North PB around Turquoise St or the Bird Rock area of La Jolla. Nice little main street types scene with older professionals compared to central and southern PB.

Mission Beach has lots of USD students, retirees, and vacationers. The apartments are incredibly small and cramped and the parking situation pretty bad. But not a bad option overall.

OB doesn't have quite the raging party scene as PB but is more hippy, funky type vibe. Fair amount of burnouts, people with tatoos, and those types.

All the North County coastal suburbs are nice but kind of quiet and sterile for my tastes.

Little Italy or somewhere else downtown probably has the scene you want most but is not by the beach. You can take the Coaster from the Santa Fe Depot station right next to LI. Probably would have to then take a shuttle from the SV station to your job b/c it's uphill and not exactly very bike friendly from the station to the office parks. PL and MB would be quite a ride to the Old Town Coaster station, but if you're a serious biker then maybe not that bad.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:36 PM

490 posts, read 1,335,303 times
Downtown would be good for you, could take the coaster up to work in the AM. Maybe take a look at some funky , fun urban areas like North Park, South Park, Hillcrest, University Heights. Carlsbad is nice, with a cute downtown- -shops, restaurants, etc.-- Good Luck

Old 07-25-2008, 02:03 PM

3,796 posts, read 9,908,123 times
I think you should continue to consider Del Mar. It's older than PB but there is still some good activity in the area.

Regarding the biking option, Little Italy and Downtown itself would be easy to bike to the Coaster station. The ease with which you could bike from the Sorrento Valley station to your job would depend on whether your employer is located in the valley itself or up on Sorrento Mesa. And even if it were on Sorrento Mesa, it would be depend how far into it and how serious you are of a biker.

Point Loma/Ocean Beach may have a lot of the feel you want, but the commute into and out of OB is difficult. It's essentially one way in, one way out, and always slow moving. The surface streets of OB could equal 10% of the distance traveled and 70% of the time taken.

My opinion of Solana Beach, Encinitas, Cardiff, (the North County beach towns) is similar to sav858. They seem rather sterile. And they are definitely sterile if you are living east of I-5, so that means there not much there that's won't be suburbantracthome land.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:56 PM

8,089 posts, read 25,263,404 times
+1 Little Italy, North PB, Crown Point, Bird Rock, possibly Del Mar

Little Italy is the most hoppin' of those in terms of bars and restaurants, beach areas will have more beach stuff to do.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:33 PM

4 posts, read 11,310 times
Cool. Thanks for the replies.

A question though...I'm trying to figure out why all the beach areas (except PB) would be a bit sterile and not have some action. Aren't there other single folks who want to be near the beach? Or is it simply a case of the beach areas being too expensive for those types? Though I'm not sure that makes sense because I doubt LI is all that cheap either.

Say I chose to live in Solana (or some other North County area), would I have to expect to be driving into the city to socialize?

Regarding the biking, having the bike a few miles that include some uphill doesn't bother me much. Thanks for the specifics on this.

Thanks again for all the inputs.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:42 AM

8,089 posts, read 25,263,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuskie View Post
Cool. Thanks for the replies.

A question though...I'm trying to figure out why all the beach areas (except PB) would be a bit sterile and not have some action. Aren't there other single folks who want to be near the beach? Or is it simply a case of the beach areas being too expensive for those types? Though I'm not sure that makes sense because I doubt LI is all that cheap either.
North County beach cities have very small downtown areas. They are mostly populated with an older, wealthier residential population who is very careful about what businesses get in. If you are OK with going to one of 2 bars then it's fine. Otherwise you are driving around which kinda sucks, especially once you get a few beers in you.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:54 AM

15,161 posts, read 23,770,686 times
Ocean Beach and Mission Beach are not sterile at all, OB is probably the opposite of sterile. OB has a nice bar scene and so does downtown La Jolla, but downtown LJ is probably fairly pricey. Carlsbad Village has a pretty good bar scene too but it's a lot of marines from what I hear. North County is just where the sterile, white bread suburbs are. The coastal areas with little downtowns aren't as bad as the mind numbing tract home/strip mall sprawl east of the 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or