Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:10 AM

130 posts, read 446,836 times

Advertisements

Hi 5Flgirls!

Seems like you have had a lot of change recently... (I peeked at the moving thread, too...) One option you might consider--probably not for long term but as a short term (six months/year?) approach--is staying where you are in South OC (San Juan Capistrano?) and then your husband commuting to his job in Del Mar. This could allow you to stay in your current area and give your husband a chance to check out the job and make sure its a fit without too much upheaval on you and the kids. If it's a fit, you could move down here next summer or during the winter (school) break.

Of course, this means a long (and sometime awful) commute for him, which also means he will be home less... My boyfriend currently does this in the opposite direction, from Carlsbad to Irvine (about the same distance). He generally takes the train from Oceanside to Irvine--1 hour 10 mins doorstep to doorstep, but no traffic stress. Amtrak has a stop in San Juan Capistrano and also in Solona Beach (just north of Del Mar) so depending on your locations and times that could be an option too (the train provides some "downtime" before getting home ). Some San Diego employers are pretty flexible with start/end times and also provide some telecommuting options... Some employers also allow you to "work" on the train...

Of course, if you think you're going to end up down in the San Diego area it might make sense to just go ahead and get here. You might also consider Carmel Valley as an area--I have friends with kids (ages 6 and 8) who really like it there (safe, good schools, lots of kids/moms, etc.). It reminds me of a little "OC pocket" in San Diego. Very close to Del Mar--zip is 92130.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 PM

895 posts, read 4,247,796 times
I completely agree on the commute and checking it out...but my husband is not in agreeement. My husband is supposed to be working for a company that rented office space three weeks ago in Del Mar (their coprporate offices are in NYC) so telecomutting is not too much of an option right now..but I tried!

We spend the day in north SD county and were a bit disappointed. We've been researching all night and my husband is feeling a bit exciting (one of us has to, I guess). Thanks for the advice on Carmel Valley--we are definitely looking into it.

One other thing I didn't mention before is that my daughter will be going to gymnastics in Poway so I probably need to live halfway between Del Mar and Poway -- which is most likely the Carmel Valley area...

Other areas we are thinking about:
Rancho Santa Fe (a bit tooooo pricy)
Fairbanks?
Pacific Highlands
Scripps Ranch?
What is the story with The Grand Del Mar golf club??????

Thanks

Old 07-30-2008, 10:34 PM

35 posts, read 125,937 times
Fairbanks Ranch is part of Rancho Santa Fe and homes run 2 million plus
Eastern border of Rancho Santa Fe has some beautiful new homes that are actually start under a million. Neighborhood is called the Lakes. It has 4 subdivisions within the development, two of them starting in the 900's and the other two starting in the 1.4's

Old 07-31-2008, 06:55 AM

786 posts, read 3,923,547 times
How about Carmel Mountain Ranch? It is closer to Poway and pretty easy to get to Del Mar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego