U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,705,775 times

Advertisements

SD, don't listen to RatRace. He or she is obviously playing with you, when they say imagine a tarantula crawling out of your bed sheets it's obvious they aren't trying to help but just fooling around.

How many times have you come down here to visit? I think you will really enjoy it here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 14,062 times
just resurrecting this thread...hope you all don't mind...

have their been any differences in these past couple of years..
any input would be great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd california gal View Post
hola all!

it has been my lifelong dream to one day live in San Diego.. If I won the lottery, I would be there in a heartbeat.. but for right now, I am hoping to make my move in the next couple of years..when I tie up all loose ends, save enough $ , and leave here for good..
anyhow.....being that I know all that I need to know about San Diego..with years of learing and a lot of help from these boards... I have a question, I hope some of you may be able to answer..I can't seem to find the information anywhere..

how is the snake condition in San Diego?...
the reason for my question, is I have a huge phobia of snakes..

I understand that there are rattlers commonly found in the trails..
but for those who currently live in San Diego and surrounding area..
how often to you come in contact with snakes.. do you find them in your homes.. backyards.. on the beaches, when you go out walking.. etc...

any information would be greatly greatly appreciated...
I am sure there may be others like me that might want to know also..

I do have a request when replying to this post...
PLEASE DO NOT POST ANY PICTURES OF SNAKES HERE..... so sorry for the bold caps... but I can't stress that enough..I thank you kindly.. and I hope you understand...

thanks again.. and goodbye 4 now!

Old 06-20-2011, 04:34 PM

6,540 posts, read 14,878,411 times
We are not in a drought this year so expect to see more snakes.
More rain, more grass. More grass more mice. More mice more snakes.

I do see a lot more hawks this year, they eat snakes too.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:54 PM

8,786 posts, read 12,318,071 times
There are snakes everywhere, not just in San Diego. It just depends on where you are.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 PM

7 posts, read 14,062 times
well how often do you come in contact with one..

and do they trickle their way into apartments / homes on a regular basis..

Old 06-20-2011, 07:09 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,285,271 times
In 30+ years here, I've never seen a snake in a residential area. You may well run into snakes when out hiking, or out in the country, but if you have a phobia of them I assume you would stick to populated areas and/or the beach. You should be quite safe there!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 PM

15 posts, read 29,772 times
Hello!

I grew up mostly around Chula Vista and when I was very young east county. I don't ever recall seeing snakes when I was little until we moved into our new house. We were the first people to live there and it was a new area, lots of hills and mountains and trails over there. It was Ocean View Hills area by Palm ave. but they called it San Diego. Anyway, we definitely saw lots of wildlife over there, whether walking on a trail or just walking down the street. Lots of big spiders, lizards and even remember recieving letters in the mail about mountain lion sightnings nearby! Amazing. And snakes were there, too. Usually we saw them on trails but a few times I'd seen one in the street, or crossing in front of my cousin and I on the sidewalk. And in the backyard our lawn usually was full of tall grassy plants because my parents were too busy to keep after it. So lots of animals liked to hide in there and I saw areas in the grass where the grass was pushed down, as if something had slithered across it. Saw new ones every day. Had one almost bite me actually because I wasn't paying attention and was messing with a plant! I turned and saw the snake right in front of me, and managed to pull my hand away before it was too late! I wasn't scared though, I'd seen plenty of them before and they don't hurt you as long as you leave them be, much like any other animal might.

Since October we've been living downtown and all I see over here is lizards (which can be scary when they dart right in front of you when you least expect it) and some spiders, and the usual other insects. Never seen any snakes around here and doubt I ever will, 'less someone's got it in a cage. Don't think you have much to worry about! Keep in the residential areas. The suburbs and the newer neighborhoods as well are more likely to house snakes than downtown, etc. It's all about location. You'll be safe in new high rises but when you're in a new area, new houses/buildings etc, there is more than likely going to be a lot of wildlife because the nature hasn't been wiped out yet.

Good luck in California! : )

Old 06-20-2011, 10:04 PM

8,786 posts, read 12,318,071 times
Read about the snake house in Idaho........

Old 06-20-2011, 10:10 PM

15 posts, read 29,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Read about the snake house in Idaho........
I've seen things on the animal planet about houses being infested with snakes! Scary stuff

Old 06-20-2011, 10:42 PM

303 posts, read 408,145 times
I've lived in the suburbs of San Diego for most of my 37 years and saw a rattlesnake for my first time this year. We do now live along a nature preserve, so I'm not surprised. I actually walk through this preserve every day and haven't seen any snakes there yet. So, I really doubt that you'll ever find a snake in your house and probably not in your yard, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego