U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 PM

2,624 posts, read 2,654,327 times
Default SD birds

Moving on from spiders and snakes (remember the Glen Cambell song) and possums, what types of birds are folk's seeing and enjoying or not enjoying? Any seasonal ones?

I noticed an increase in hummingbirds now, but pretty bland not too colorful. Crows are annoying (and West Nile carryers) and frequent. The black phoebe is a neat, funky backyard insect diver (goes after fish too). The nocturnal mockingbirds seems to have gone away from its frequent songs of April to June. Some hawks. And those squaking wild parrots coming in at sunrise and out at sunset, though seems to favor different neighborhoods for weeks at a time. I like the pelicans (and lack of gulls) at the beaches here. I'm suprised there are not a lot of colorful birds here. Though lots of interesting and colorful butterflies, but I digress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:15 PM

No birders or bird appreciators here on CD. I'm the latter. I guess we'll stick to chatting of snakes, coyotes, palm critters, skunks, possums, scorpions, and of course spiders.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 PM

2,719 posts, read 4,453,719 times
I enjoy most of the birds we see around here, hummingbirds are great. I see blue jays every now and then to which is pretty neat.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 PM

Blue jays while nice lookin' can be annoying squawkers.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:38 PM

2,719 posts, read 4,453,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Blue jays while nice lookin' can be annoying squawkers.
What kinds of things do they do? I'm curious to know.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:45 AM

258 posts, read 987,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I enjoy most of the birds we see around here, hummingbirds are great. I see blue jays every now and then to which is pretty neat.
I see lots of Hummingbirds too. My wife loves to feed them.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 AM

28 posts, read 196,202 times
Bloom, I'm a "birder" and can't wait to get settled in and see what you have out there. Just have been so very busy packing!

The reason I have so many "critters" is because they are always eating the left over bird seeds. In Wisconsin we have only the Ruby Throat Hummer. I am thinking there are at least 7 kinds of hummers out west? How nice that you have pheobes and Wild parrots!

Where we are now is a main migrotory route. At our old house I had 60 different types of birds that stopped during migration. I had a decent sized garden pond, the sound of trickling water really attracts them. Here in the country we have several birds that migrate and stay all summer! 2 pair of beautiful Orioles, 2 pair of Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, 2 pair of Bluebirds and the ever beautiful Indigo Buntings and of course Robins galore! We also have several kinds of Woodpeckers, and many varities of Sparrows. Also, Wrens, Nuthatches, Chickadees, Gold Finches, Rose Finches, Mourning doves, Swallows, blue Jays, etc.. We have a family of 5 Crows. A mom, dad and the three kids. Every morning they come and caw making a huge racket. I go outside and throw them some bread. They make me smile because they are sooo smart. I'm sure they eat what I throw out and then go about making their rounds.

I have many bird houses and feeders, but have to totaly downsize for apartment living. I have already bought a small simple finch feeder and plan on getting a bird bath and humming bird feeders that I can clamp to the patio wall at the apartment.

The cawing and chatter of birds never bothers me. Makes me know that the world is still spinning.

Blue Jays are usualy quiet, almost secretive and you never really know they are around. Then in the late spring when the fledglins are a bit bigger they become very vocal for about a month or so..then quiet down again. They will eat sunflower seeds and bugs, and go GA-GA for peantus!!! They do eat other bird's eggs and their young.
If anyone ever buys peanuts for the birds make sure they are unsalted, as it is not always easy for them ot find water. the Jays were like the crows, calling me in the mornings for peanuts.

We also have a LOT of Starlings (year round) and Cow birds (summer). starlings were unwittingly imported from Europe in the 1800's. They lay their eggs in other bird's nests and have helped to reduce the population of songbirds in America.

Do you have Starlings where you are? What other kinds of birds so you see?

Old 08-07-2008, 06:33 AM

28 posts, read 196,202 times
BTW, Bloom.. you're not digressing, butterflies are always nice!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:01 AM

349 posts, read 1,020,398 times
I love hummingbirds! We have the black phoebe in our backyard often. Another speckled bird my daughter calls "grain" is also a frequent visitor. We used to having morning doves which I hated because they are like pigeons and were very messy. A few crows (or ravens?) moved into the neighborhood so now we never see them (good and bad news).

We also have owls and red tailed hawks. I saw a red tailed hawk drag a rabbit backwards on the golf course. It was amazing and sad all at once.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:03 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,377,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
Bloom, I'm a "birder" and can't wait to get settled in and see what you have out there. Just have been so very busy packing!
While I'm not a huge birder, I don't think you will be diappointed with what we have out here.

My friend's father (a birder) who visits often from NY, makes it a point to visit the various birding sites around the county. He was the one who told me that SD County has more species of birds than anywhere in the country, which is something I never knew.

Do yourself a favor and buy the San Diego Bird Atlas Book (http://www.sdnhm.org/research/birdatlas/index.html - broken link) when you get here. I have it and refer it when trying to figure out what bird hanging out in my birdbath (I know, how nerdy can I be?).

Check out the listing of popular bird sites from the San Diego Audubon Society

Happy Birding!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego