Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 04:53 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times

Advertisements

We're trying to figure out where to live so looking for some more opinions:

We told our realtor that my husband's office is off of El Camino Real in Del Mar. I will have to travel to Temecula a few times a week. We are looking for excellent schools and we've been told to stay in the Del Mar district for that.

So far, we've looked at Carlsbad and Carmel Valley. We drove through Poway and didn't like what we saw. We really like the Torrey Highlands area but are concerned about the school over-crowding. Today, someone told me we should look around Via De La Valle but I've never been to that area. The realtor sent us some listings on 4S Ranch and Santa Luz. They all look nice and new but for the same price--I could live closer to the ocean(?). In an earlier thread, I requested info and was mostly directed towards 4S ranch, The lakes and Carmel Valley. Is this it? Are there specific subdivisions to look at or stay away from? I haven't really gotten much guidance and don't really want to randomly pick a house that looks decent but is not in a desirable location...If we want to stay in the height of "stuff" (and I mean children's activities, restaurants, shopping -- I mean the closest Target is in Escondido??) should we just stay around Del Mar and Carmel Valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 05:17 PM

213 posts, read 744,885 times
Ya Carmel Valley and Del Mar are both great areas. Del Mar probably has more of the stores and such just because more people go to visit there. But Carmel Valley is still very nice so just check out both areas.

Best of Luck!

Old 08-06-2008, 05:54 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
I'm guessing you are looking for a brand-new upscale development? My brother lives in Ladera Ranch in OC and I'd say the comparable areas here would be Carmel Valley, 4S Ranch, Del Sur- basically, anywhere along the 56 freeway. There's also Bressi Ranch and Aviara in Carlsbad and La Costa.

Nice, older areas to consider are Rancho $anta Fe, Fairbanks Ranch, Olivenhain and Coronado.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:13 PM

786 posts, read 3,925,153 times
There are no subdivisions in 4S ranch to stay away from. The closest Target is on Pomerado Rd. (only 15 min. away). You really aren't that far away from the ocean, but you are away from the crowding near the ocean. If you have specific questions on 4S ranch feel free to DM me.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 PM

384 posts, read 980,913 times
I live in a condo (one of the few) in Santaluz. It's very nice here. There is tons of open space that's been preserved and the houses in Santaluz have a very unique feel. There are rules for landscaping that prohibit tropical plants and emphasizes natives. There are ornamental grasses, agaves, native bushes, and such all around. Even the long road into the area is painstakenly landscaped grasses that give a rural feel. 4S ranch is much denser and more suburban-feeling. Some people might prefer this to Del Mar because Del Mar is pretty dense, too. There isn't much open space except for the coastline. I should say that Del Sur is of a high caliber, too, but also not as much open space as Santaluz and closer houses.
Another smallish development right next to Santaluz is Verrazzano. It's more affordable than Santaluz and tries to have an Italian look as opposed to Santaluz carefully cultivated wildness. There's a new elementary school opening up in Santaluz/Verrazzano called Willow Grove: Willow Grove Elementary School ~ Poway Unified School District, San Diego CA. It's in the Poway school district, which is very good. I agree that the city itself of Poway isn't very desirable along Poway Rd.
Oh, there is a Target in Poway that is easy to get to. Go straight on the 56 heading east and it turns into Ted Williams Parkway-- it's right there. There's a nearby Trader Joe's in Carmel Mountain Ranch off of 15 and Carmel Mountain road, too.
Janine

Old 08-06-2008, 11:05 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
Thank you so much for the information. It's been very helpful. I'm not sure if we're new construction type of people. We've actually never lived in a new house. We usually like newer or need to be updated type of houses. For right now, we're going to lease and figure it out for a year. Sdurbanite mentioned Ladera Ranch in OC and we actually live close by but do not live in there. The subdivision makes us nervous. If 4S or Santaluz are anything like Ladera--we don't want to be anywhere near there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego