Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2007, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 12,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Well, I gotta say that I'm a bit surprised at all of the recent criticisms posted here.

Just so you know, I haven't posted pics of strip malls, big box centers, sprawling suburbs and run down apartments, etc, because I didn't think anyone wanted to see them. I'm sure those things look the same in every city across the country. We all know those things exist here as well.

The purpose of this photo thread is to show stuff uniquely San Diego. I thought I've done a nice job of sharing stuff about this city that are off the beaten track. It can't be helped that many places happen to be located in the nicer parts of town. Remarks like what about the poor people and showing only "fancy" or rich places isn't true. You don't have to be rich to go to the beach, shop downton, watch a baseball game, walk the boardwalk, hike a mountain, etc. Except for shopping and watching the Padres - everything is FREE

This thread is open to anyone, if you have pics to share - please do!

I've noticed that I seem to be the only one posting pics here regularly in order to keep this thread alive. Perhaps this thread has lived on longer than it should, and that I should just let it go and have the moderator remove the sticky so it will go away.

Sorry if I sound defensive, but I just never expected people to be offended by my pics. I just thought pics would tell a better story about places than just reading about them.
I love your pictures of paradise, I have lived in Coronado since 88, I don't live in a big fancy house. I moved from another part of san diego where gangs stood on every corner but I had a big beautiful house, I fell in love with Coronado and switched my big beautiful house for a run down shack of a house, location was my priority, Coronado is very safe as far as crime goes, its flat and you can walk everywhere it reminds me of England and being a person who likes to make dreams a reality I settled there with my 2 children knowing they where safe from guns drugs and gangs.
Your favourite house is a one off, presidential candidates stay there, it sold about 2 years ago for around 14 million and it is ocean front right next to Hotel Del, most of us sacrifice space for location. There are no strip malls there a few run down places its like every other beach town city ordinances are very strict on commercial enterprise, I could go on but that is all for now!!!
Elvee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 03:29 AM

196 posts, read 767,917 times
Thank you for the beautiful pics. I've been invited to visit and can't wait to go. It looks so clean and well cared for. Happy New Year

Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Thanks again for the compliments above. It's because of them that I keep posting more pics in this thread.

It had been awhile since I watched the sunset from the top of Mt. Helix (elevation 1,365 feet) so I decided to go this past weekend. And Holy Moly, am I glad I did. The view from up there was absolutely beautiful. If you must live in the East County, then make this area your address.

**I may be off on some of the cities/neighborhoods that I'm trying to point out, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The El Cajon Valley. I've never been sure of the name of the mountain in the middle - El Capitan? Stonewall?

Calavo Gardens and Rancho San Diego?

Fletcher Hills area and Cowles Mountain in the center-left. The highest peak in the distance is Mt. Woodson in Ramona.

Towards Spring Valley and Casa De Oro, and a close-up of San Miguel Mountain (elevation 2,565 feet)

Some of the houses below would blend into Rancho Santa Fe very well.

On the other side of the mountain range is East Chula Vista (Eastlake, Otay Ranch, Rancho Del Rey, etc)

Like Mt. Soledad in La Jolla, a cross stands at the top

This site has been holding a Sunrise Service on Easter since 1917, even before amphitheater was built in 1925. Read more about it in the link provided at the top.

Looking down from the highest row

The Marker

This was the best shot I could get looking towards the rest of San Diego without catching the glare of the sun.

The drive back down. Look closely and you can see downtown, Pt. Loma and Coronado in the far distance.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:53 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
sdurbanite, your pictures are truly breathtaking. They exemplify the statement that pictures speak a thousand words. Thank you most kindly for taking the time to take the pictures and post them.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:25 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,202 times
Thumbs up Beautiful landscape...

Very nice pics...Mt.Helix Park--what a beautiful landmark with amazing views!
Looks like an excellent "think" spot...The amphitheatre looks pretty cool.
Since it's not government funded I hope they can continue to receive sources of funding to maintain it.

The last pic of the sun setting came out nice...

Last edited by citybythebay; 01-04-2008 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling whoopsie....lol

Old 01-05-2008, 02:45 AM

213 posts, read 823,033 times
I never looked into this thread until now, and just looking at those photos makes me so proud to live in such a beautiful city. I am now compelled to just go on a picture-taking frenzy during my little expeditions around the whole city.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:51 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,145 times
When did the cross start growing brush around the fence?

Old 01-06-2008, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 10,398 times
The photos are very beautiful and I am feeling very homesick right now. Although I was born and raised in San Diego I no longer live there; but I live in Northern California and visit occasionally. I love where I live, but I do miss San Diego.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:47 PM

24 posts, read 104,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashell View Post
These are great vacation pictures but hardly representative of what it is like to really live here day to day. Take out the ocean shots, the views from multi-million dollar neighborhoods and of Balboa Park.
These pictures encourage unprepared people to move here thinking this is how it's going to be. Why not post photos of what it's actually like for most people to live here day to day? IN debt. Scraping to make ends meet. What most qualities of housing are? How about photos of some of those half million dollar "condos" that are old rentals converted, with views of alleys, or parking lots, or phone lines? Get REAL.
Wow. Very bitter. I believe he has already answered that several times. If you distain San Diego so much you should really look into relocating to a different state.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 PM

24 posts, read 104,983 times
Not only are your pictures amazing but you seem like such a truly nice person too. Thanks for taking the time to post all of this. Do you have any pictures of Olivenhain or Leucadia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego