Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 PM

10 posts, read 25,884 times

Advertisements

Other than housing, what makes SD expensive? I live in Chicago's northwest suburbs and I feel that prices of things are fairly comprabable to other big cities in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:37 PM

190 posts, read 704,761 times
Combo of factors.

CA in general has a higher cost of living than most other states.

Being on the beach, and especially the center city right by the water doesn't really help.

Higher paying jobs in the tech sector, biotech and communications also attract alot of professionals who are fighting over the diminishing housing stock and it just compounds the problem.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:43 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,481 times
I personally think that "Housing" is the only big difference in expense to some other cities outside of California.

Other than that I don't see much difference, gas price are higher than the rest of the country, but they have been in San Diego area even before the fuel prices went so crazy.

The secret IMO to starting fresh in the San Diego area is to have your housing set up way ahead of time and shop, shop,shop around there are bargins out there. I wish we were staying I wanted to get in on the San Diego Market badly but can't afford a house in DC and San Diego.

Well yes also the location and the great weather that draws people in as well.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:54 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
IL has notably lower state inc tax than CA...

Chic, esp areas like Winnetka/Hinsdale/Naperville, has excellent public schools....most of CA has relatively academically-weak/physically-unsafe public schools, so many opt to pay for pvt schools...

Suburban Chic houses typically are on >0.4ac, so much more room/privacy away from neighbors...unlike most CA houses which have nr-zero land b/c of high land costs...

Conversely, nr-perfect weather of CA means one can save on travel costs/hassles of trying to escape cold/snow/salt or heat/humidity....

Old 08-09-2008, 07:28 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunky3301 View Post
I personally think that "Housing" is the only big difference in expense to some other cities outside of California.
I agree, housing is the most major expense. Other things may cost more in some ways, but it's still fractional compared to housing.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
I agree, housing is the most major expense. Other things may cost more in some ways, but it's still fractional compared to housing.
Yep, housing is the biggie. But considering that housing is typically a person's single biggest monthly expense, its a big problem. Its not like the cost of bread is double in SoCal but only amounts to $10/mo difference. Doubling your housing expense can make the difference between a comfortable life with money in the bank and living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:43 AM

527 posts, read 1,281,969 times
Yeah, I agree with what everyone said here. Housing is expensive. Unfortunately, a lot of homes in San Diego are pretty small for the asking price.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:11 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Quote:
Yep, housing is the biggie. But considering that housing is typically a person's single biggest monthly expense, its a big problem. Its not like the cost of bread is double in SoCal but only amounts to $10/mo difference. Doubling your housing expense can make the difference between a comfortable life with money in the bank and living paycheck to paycheck.
If housing is the biggest contributor to high cost of living in CA, how come there are many long time residents who have owned their homes for more than 10 years who still complain about how expensive the state is and are planning to move out? There are numerous posts on this forum from these people.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
If housing is the biggest contributor to high cost of living in CA, how come there are many long time residents who have owned their homes for more than 10 years who still complain about how expensive the state is and are planning to move out? There are numerous posts on this forum from these people.
Very often, people who've owned their homes for a long time are also doing well financially and pay a lot of taxes because the system here is so anti-wealth. Every state has their way of getting their pound of flesh from the taxpayer. One state may have no income tax but makes up for it in property tax. California is in a small club of states that taxes the people in every way imaginable. Its a state where you get to pay 9% income tax, $6000/yr property tax, $400/yr car tax, 7-9% sales tax, $0.04 extra on every beverage container, and a million other hidden taxes that show themselves through higher costs for everything. I don't like it, but I can deal with all the other expenses in California. The deal breaker is the cost of housing.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:26 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Some people just like to complain in general, that's not to say this is the case for everyone, just saying it's one example. Also some people follow the crowd basically, they hear everyone else complaining about the cost of living, and how it's cheaper to live in Texas or some place like that, and so they start the same complaints and follow the trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego