U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:25 PM

14 posts, read 22,012 times
Default South Park?

I'm moving to San Diego soon, and I've been looking around at different neighbrohoods (yes, I've posted before). I found lots and lots of information on Hillcrest and North Park (thanks!) and several posters mentioned South Park in passing, but I can't really find much information on it. Is it a safe neighborhood? Are there things to do? Is it pedestrian-friendly? Any information is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 12:50 PM

810 posts, read 2,660,556 times
I'm a fan... probably my favorite non-elite inner-city neighborhood. It's got a great stock of preserved craftsman homes and a population that really cares about their historical relevance. It has undergone a bit of a renaissance, and for a while you could drive through two weekends in a row and something else was bound to be undergoing restoration. Kind of a bohemian, indie vibe there now, so get some cardigans (I kid). It's old, grid-style, so has that early 1900's walkability with a pretty nice boutique-style business strip on 30th/Fern, but for the big shopping you'll have to go elsewhere. It's a bit quieter than Hillcrest or NP because it's a bit of an island, with access really only coming from North Park or Golden Hill, as it's bordered by the canyon that the 805 runs in to the East, and by the park on the west. On one side its isolation keeps it unheard of, as many San Diegans don't even know about South Park, but on the other hand, it keeps the cruddy main drags far away.

Overall, a desirable inner-city place, and moreso every day. The downside is that if you're planning on buying, affording it is often not enough since people really don't like to leave, and the rehabilitation has seen much of the area buck the home price tend.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:30 PM

240 posts, read 620,173 times
I like South Park a lot, but the biggest drawback to me is the noise from airplanes - mostly landing, which I guess is better than the noise from planes taking off, although they take off in that direction sometimes too.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:18 AM

190 posts, read 441,395 times
I wouldn't call South Park non-elite. I always got the impression that they were, until recently part of Golden Hill, and broke away so they their home values wouldnt be affected by the ghetto areas of GH immediately south of them.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:48 PM

810 posts, read 2,660,556 times
Well, non-elite may sound like scraping the bottom of the barrel which isn't what I meant, but I'm saying I wouldn't group it with Mission Hills, Kensington, or Burlingame, although Burlingame may as well be in South Park. There's a bit of difference between the three and South Park, which was the more "upper middle class area" whereas the former three were for the swells. SP is more of a neighborhood for people - perhaps never the laborers, but not so elite as to only the city fathers.

I'm no expert on the GH vs South Park split, but I was under the impression from what I've read that it was originally marketed as South Park back in the day, but as the city grew, the borders mushed together, and was re-split later for the reasons you mentioned.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:01 PM

7,101 posts, read 17,921,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Well, non-elite may sound like scraping the bottom of the barrel which isn't what I meant, but I'm saying I wouldn't group it with Mission Hills, Kensington, or Burlingame, although Burlingame may as well be in South Park. There's a bit of difference between the three and South Park, which was the more "upper middle class area" whereas the former three were for the swells. SP is more of a neighborhood for people - perhaps never the laborers, but not so elite as to only the city fathers.

I'm no expert on the GH vs South Park split, but I was under the impression from what I've read that it was originally marketed as South Park back in the day, but as the city grew, the borders mushed together, and was re-split later for the reasons you mentioned.
That is a good description. The northern portions of South Park were housing for wealthy families and still is today, that includes Burlingame and the neighborhoods just east of it, as well as the neighborhoods south of switzer canyon and east of the park. As you move south (golden hill) it became more working class, but remember in the turn of the century blue-collar housing was typcially apartments, not single family homes.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:27 AM

14 posts, read 22,012 times
This is great information, thank you all!

Old 08-16-2008, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,315 times
Default South Park has it's drawbacks

I live in Golden Hill, just right off of South Park and near the highway entrance. We just moved here (my husband and I) from the Bay area a little over a year ago. We were impressed with the great South Park neighborhoods fantastic architecture and gardens and it's hip walkability, restaurants and cafes, and it closeness to Balboa Park. It is most definitly a "nice" neighborhood, in the non-elitist sense. With a sense of "transition" on the Golden Hill side, where you can still get a decent rental. Unfortunately the noise from the planes coming in for a landing drives us insane. All hours of the morning through the night the planes come in, especially on the weekends, just when you want to have some peace and rest, and it is much worse when there is any cloud cover. The planes decelerate just a few feet over the roof of your building and you have to a) stop your conversation completely until they pass or b) if you are watching TV turn the TV way up or if you have a DVR, pause your show. We are looking to buy, and we are saddened that this will prohibit us from looking anywhere in this area. I guess a lot of Southern Califonians are use to this and have grown up with this noise pollution, but if you can't tune it out it kind of lowers your quality of life.

Last edited by Bayhine22; 08-16-2008 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-16-2008, 05:05 PM

240 posts, read 620,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayhine22 View Post
Unfortunately the noise from the planes coming in for a landing drives us insane. All hours of the morning through the night the planes come in, especially on the weekends, just when you want to have some peace and rest, and it is much worse when there is any cloud cover. The planes decelerate just a few feet over the roof of your building and you have to a) stop your conversation completely until they pass or b) if you are watching TV turn the TV way up or if you have a DVR, pause your show. We are looking to buy, and we are saddened that this will prohibit us from looking anywhere in this area. I guess a lot of Southern Califonians are use to this and have grown up with this noise pollution, but if you can't tune it out it kind of lowers your quality of life.
Yep. I'm with you. I had hoped that the people of San Diego would have voted to move the San Diego Airport to a less congested location, but that didn't happen. I guess South Park and Park West will be stuck with airplane noise for decades to come.

If it were ever decided that the airport would be moved, I think the home values in South Park would go up by at least 10% overnight.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:29 AM

190 posts, read 441,395 times
We were looking into renting a property on Hawthorn St in Banker's Hill not too long ago. Absolutely beautiful inside and walking distance to Balboa Park. We ended up in Hillcrest in a not so nice house because the plane scared the **** of of the boyfriend when we were looking inside the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego