Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:14 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Overall El Cajon is not that dangerous or bad. It's got some character and has people that carry themselves like they're tough, with a sort of wannabe gangster style. But overall it's not a very dangerous place to be, no worse than most parts of SD and better than a lot of them.

I ride my bike through El Cajon at night all the time and I encounter less problems than I do in the city of SD. In fact as a bicyclist, in El Cajon people leave me alone for the most part. In SD people yell at me all the time and just try to be smarta$$es. Also in SD people just won't move out of the way of a bicyclist, they do that egotistical "You gotta get out of MY way" thing. People in El Cajon seem to more more respectful in that regard.

There's a big mix of all kinds of people here, so everyone tends to be accepted regardless of how unusual. I see this as a good thing. It's got a socially liberal feel, and you see a lot of "interesting" stuff out on the streets.

El Cajon gets a bad reputation from SD because El Cajon is a mostly working class city. The people of El Cajon are a little more country and more bluecollar overall. In SD many of the people have a high-class superiority complex against the working class. They see them as "unsophisticated" or "ghetto" etc. But it's really just their snobby, elitist attitude talking for them.
riding a bike in that SD county is a death wish, very bad drivers. all my bicyle friends got screws & plates in their body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 02:45 PM

32 posts, read 203,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
riding a bike in that SD county is a death wish, very bad drivers. all my bicyle friends got screws & plates in their body.
San Diego drivers are nothing compared to other major metropolis cities throughout the U.S

Think SD drivers are bad? Go to LA or SF and then come back and tell we are bad drivers.

I think your friends are the ones that do not know how to operate a bicycle and may need training wheels on them :P

Old 02-23-2009, 12:42 PM

31 posts, read 142,415 times
Hi Y,
Fletcher Hills is close to 2 malls the first is Grossmont Mall and the second is Parkway plaza. There you will find movie theaters etc. I like Marietta's great mexican food. I am not a seafood person so I can not help you there. There is a Vons on the corner of Navajo and Fletcher Parkway for groceries. Depending on the age of your kids, Grossmont college is nearby. Beef and Bun is a whole in the wall spot for a great burger. There is a community pool off of Garfield. I am not sure of the street. Temecula is about 35-45 minutes away and there are vineyards there, wine tours, and hot air balloons. Feel free to email me all your questions or if you need anything once you are here.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM

4 posts, read 27,757 times
Smile "Thanks so much for your help"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQSellsHomes View Post
Hi Y,
Fletcher Hills is close to 2 malls the first is Grossmont Mall and the second is Parkway plaza. There you will find movie theaters etc. I like Marietta's great mexican food. I am not a seafood person so I can not help you there. There is a Vons on the corner of Navajo and Fletcher Parkway for groceries. Depending on the age of your kids, Grossmont college is nearby. Beef and Bun is a whole in the wall spot for a great burger. There is a community pool off of Garfield. I am not sure of the street. Temecula is about 35-45 minutes away and there are vineyards there, wine tours, and hot air balloons. Feel free to email me all your questions or if you need anything once you are here.

Hi again KQ,

I am so grateful for your response. I have 3 kids under nine. Which beach is the nearest and safest? Are there any state fairs, if so when? Do you know if they give swimming lessons in Grossmont College or any other place? Which banks, that are still stable, do you have around? Are there any festivals (culture, art, fruits, food, beach, etc.) or downtown celebrations like, for Halloween, July 4th, etc., (maybe there is a website for city of El Cajón? but I guess there should be activities in nearby cities as well)?
Ooh and downtown antique shops, and flee markets? Which is the nearest and best hospital? Do you know of any latin food places, cuban or puerto rican? And if you know of any state parks around, (I think I saw one in MapQuest, and a big camping ground), or amusement parks, please let me know as well.
I will definitively keep in touch and if you have any questions about Florida or Puerto Rico, please let me know. I'll be glad to help you out.

Take care, all the best,

Y. from FL

Old 03-31-2009, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,165 times
Default im moving to san diego area in augest

hey im 19 moving down to the san diego area in augest and i wanna know some of the better areas to live ive been looking at apartments in El Cajon, also in poway those seam to be the places i will be able to afford i wanna know if these are safe places to live or not? maybe even some tips on actuall apartment complexes im from sacramento

Old 03-31-2009, 04:39 PM

157 posts, read 642,640 times
i read somewhere that ElCajon means -"the box"

they bein' funny or what ?

Old 03-31-2009, 08:17 PM

239 posts, read 720,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakazdog View Post
i read somewhere that ElCajon means -"the box"

they bein' funny or what ?
Close! El cajón in Spanish means the drawer; the box would be la caja.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,236 times
My sister and her family lived in El Cajon for a few years before my brother-in-law was transferred to Houston. They had a beautiful, large home up in the hills and enjoyed it very much. The homes near them were all large and on big lots. It was apparent that their neighborhood consisted of well to do people. The flat area of El Cajon was not all that bad, but it wasn't great either. Aside from this area up in the hills, El Cajon seemed to be a lower income/blue collar community. If you are interested, I have a realtor in the area who is unlike any other. He is retired military and THE BEST REALTOR! Not pushy, but will work his butt off if you want him to. He knows the area and is up to the minute with market trends. He won't forget you when you are done with him either. I still get a monthly newsletter from him and it's been 5 years since I bought my condo down there! His newsletter provides information on recent comps, current real estate data, and he tells it like it is- no sugarcoating! If anyone can tell you about an area, it's him. And he'll give it to you straight.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,236 times
Carlsbad and Poway are both VERY nice. There are some wineries not far from that area, but nothing compares to Napa! Go to the wineries down there 1st so you don't get disappointed after spending a little time in Napa. Some advice for you- do not try to do the Napa/Sonoma winecountry in a weekend. You will only be frustrated by how many wineries you didn't get to. I live an hour from Napa and still, I go several times yearly for the weekend. You will need at least a week or two (more if you can) to even see a small percent of the best of Napa and Sonoma. When you leave Florida, take a long hard look and say good-bye because you probably will not go back once you've lived in the San Diego area. Or Napa...

Old 04-05-2009, 07:54 PM

139 posts, read 250,014 times
I was looking at a house on Long Shadow in the Granite Hills part of El Cajon 92109, any comments good or bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego