Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:45 AM

490 posts, read 1,555,827 times

Advertisements

Exactly We like to participate out here, not necessarily sit and watch. Interesting that the Tampa Bay Devil Rays are in first place, and only draw 10,000 fans a game- - all the players were on TV upset about that. Now THAT'S bad - -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:54 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solt530 View Post
I am from NJ originally and I have to say the sports fans here in San Diego overall are horrible. Now there are a few die hard fans who actually care about the Chargers/Padres and know what is going on, but overall most people don't care or know. I worked on gamedays are both the Paders/Chargers for the past two seasons and most fans go to the games to be seen there, or as something to do before going out downtown. They don't pay attention to what's going on, they don't clap or cheer for anything unless the scoreboard tells them to do it. Overall, they are pretty indifferent when it comes to sports. Everyone readily jumps off the bandwagon when the team does bad, and jumps right back on when things turn around. It's amazing how many Charger lightning bolts are on the back of cars and flags hanging from peoples houses when the season starts. Last year, when they started 1-3, all those things disappeared, everyone was walking around saying the Chargers suck and they're not a big fan and stuff like that. Then when the Chargers turned it around and made the playoffs, all those lightning bolts and flags reappeared and everyone acts as if they care. It's just something to do here and no one really cares about their teams.

Now I guess being from the East Coast, it's different. We don't have as many things to do outdoors to keep us distracted so we really care about our teams and support and follow them no matter what their record is. We actually boo our teams if they're bad, but we're still there at least.

I think overall San Diego fans are bad fans, but I guess that's cause there's so many other things going on here in San Diego that no one really cares about anything that doesn't involve them.
I agree. Having left San Diego in 2001 I learned what real sports fanatics are like. Moved to Springfield, MO and people drove 3 hours on a week night to watch the Chiefs in KC, freezing weather, and the stadium PACKED.
Here in the south, it's all about college football! Sports are BIG from children playing baseball/football, all the way up to college and pro. It's just way different here and I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego