Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 07:46 AM

22 posts, read 72,233 times

Advertisements

We've given up on Fallbrook.

It WAS too far.
It WAS a nice home, but you must chose quality of life over quality (meaning size) of house.
Thanks everyone for taking a moment to reply. I will keep checking this list, feel free to suggest neighborhoods. We've got NO Kids, so we dont need the 'burbs--yet!!

:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 05:57 PM

138 posts, read 544,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euseys View Post
We've given up on Fallbrook.

It WAS too far.
It WAS a nice home, but you must chose quality of life over quality (meaning size) of house.
Thanks everyone for taking a moment to reply. I will keep checking this list, feel free to suggest neighborhoods. We've got NO Kids, so we dont need the 'burbs--yet!!

:-)
Great choice! I lived in Lake Rancho Viejo while we were looking for a home. I got a job in Del Mar, so I commuted from Lake Rancho Viejo for about 5 months. It was HORRID. It took me over an hour each way on the good days. Commuting wears you out terribly. Lake Rancho Viejo was not good...We were considering buying there until we lived there for about a week. To get groceries you have to go into town which takes 25 minutes, or to Temecula which takes about the same. There is nothing close to you. Every time I came home at night I felt like I was disappearing into the boondocks. I could see enjoying the place if my job was up the road, if I grew my own produce, and if everyone I knew lived there. The new homes they are building are beautiful, but there is a reason the prices are so low. I am so glad that you did not buy there.There are lots of great places to live. I would say to drive everywhere and spend lots of time looking before you take the plunge. I am so glad that I finally found the perfect place for me after 6 months of looking.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:27 AM

In case anyone reads the thread through, here is the happy ending...

A forclosure home in Terracotta community, part of McMillin Lomas Verdes, part of the suburb near the Otay Ranch Town Center. Got a good deal, and will close in late December.

Only 25 mins to work (thats with normal traffic), and a nice place for eventual resale values.

So Chula Vista won in the end, the Good Commute and Good Home were both found.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,481 times
Default Good Job....What a great area !!!!!!

Quote:
In case anyone reads the thread through, here is the happy ending...

A forclosure home in Terracotta community, part of McMillin Lomas Verdes, part of the suburb near the Otay Ranch Town Center. Got a good deal, and will close in late December.

Only 25 mins to work (thats with normal traffic), and a nice place for eventual resale values.

So Chula Vista won in the end, the Good Commute and Good Home were both found.

Good job....that a great area. Umm your husband would have hated that drive from Fallbrook.My wife is Navy and we left Chula Vista (Eastlake) back in August and we miss it sooooo bad and we we're only out there for 2 years.

We loved that area of Chula Vista (Eastlake/Otay) for the sense of safety, ammenties nearby, sense of community and the commute for my wife to Balboa Naval Hospital was very short.

We're stuck here in DC (Bethesda,MD) for 3 to 5 years (ahhhhhhhh cold weather !!) but will endure for now.

Very glad you found a good buy and "Envious" it was in Chula Vista !!
Go Navy !!

PS- Just a hint for you , we would shop the Imperial Beach commissary instead of the 32nd Street one. Yes the one at 32nd Street is nice and new but always crowded....just an FYI for you and again congrats on your home purchase.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:03 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,766 times
Quote:
Hi all,

We're a US Navy family, coming on orders.

Now the major decision we face:

Get that brand new, custom built home in the planned community outside Fallbrook, (complete with 75-90 min. commute to the Naval pier every day)

OR, Pick a smaller home somewhere inside the actual city to get a healthy, short commute and live in a smaller house, but closer to city ammenities and action, and fellowship of Navy families while the hubby is deployed?

WHICH do you pick?
THE dream house with the nightmare commute
...or the dream commute in a house that will make do?

(Believe me, we cannot afford the identical home from Fallbrook within a closer distance to Naval pier!)

Euseys,

Hello! We are a Navy family as well in your same position. My husband got orders to Camp Pendleton so we are looking in the Carlsbad/Oceanside area for a house to buy. Who are you going with for your mortgage? We were going to use Navy Federal since they were wonderful last time, but we are also going to check out USAA and see which one is better.

Good luck on your house hunting!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 05:23 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 692,124 times
Just read your choice! CONGRATULATIONS!

Old 11-16-2008, 10:33 AM

We went with USAA. They have our property insurance/car insurance so why not make them our entire life company. Good luck with your new home!!! Come by for coffee when your hubby has been gone for too long, and you need a friend!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:43 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,977 times
Good choice. Otay Ranch is a nice community with great schools, parks, pools. We live in Eastlake but also love Otay Ranch and Rolling Hills Ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego