U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:53 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,695,449 times

Advertisements

Oh wow, I think I mightve seen that. I remember seeing some kind of odd looking emergency vehicle once in Mission Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 06:44 AM

49 posts, read 78,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Oh wow, I think I mightve seen that. I remember seeing some kind of odd looking emergency vehicle once in Mission Valley.

>chuckle<

it "resembles" that remark -- & somtimes -- so do I

once had a CHP come up to me at a nighttime incident on the I-8 EB @ Waring where I was puttin gas in a VW Vanagan that was stranded in the CD in heavy traffic [ gas filler is on the passenger side of a Vanagan so I had to stand in the#1 fast lane to give him gas ]

officer said " you look like something from outer space -- I could SEE you a mile back!"

I said "it's workin ain't it?" [traffic was movin over to the #2 lane w-out comin near me as I stood there puttin in the gas ]

Nice officer -- he "lit up" so's the VW could git underway w-out gittin run over on leavin -- [ VWs aren't very fast on takeoff ]

anyways --

GOOD onya all

watch out fer me willya?

gimmie room ta work

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x278/theHighwayman_photos/ShotgunShela.jpg (broken link)

Shela says "wuff"

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,3591933.story

Last edited by theHighwayman; 09-06-2008 at 07:47 AM..

Old 09-06-2008, 09:40 AM

95 posts, read 343,243 times
This is so awesome! God, I love San Diego. Keep up the good work Highwayman (You, too Shela!)

Old 09-06-2008, 02:53 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,695,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theHighwayman View Post
>chuckle<

it "resembles" that remark -- & somtimes -- so do I

once had a CHP come up to me at a nighttime incident on the I-8 EB @ Waring where I was puttin gas in a VW Vanagan that was stranded in the CD in heavy traffic [ gas filler is on the passenger side of a Vanagan so I had to stand in the#1 fast lane to give him gas ]

officer said " you look like something from outer space -- I could SEE you a mile back!"

I said "it's workin ain't it?" [traffic was movin over to the #2 lane w-out comin near me as I stood there puttin in the gas ]

Nice officer -- he "lit up" so's the VW could git underway w-out gittin run over on leavin -- [ VWs aren't very fast on takeoff ]

anyways --

GOOD onya all

watch out fer me willya?

gimmie room ta work

Shela says "wuff"

San Diego Highwayman gets mileage out of his altruism - Los Angeles Times

Yup thats you! hahah.

Well, I didnt really know what the deal was, but it looks like a lot of people like what you are doing!
Youve become something of an urban legend.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:46 PM

jist so long as I'm not on a wanted flyer on the post office wall

Old 09-08-2008, 11:45 AM

258 posts, read 1,382,317 times
Default Range ?

Highwayman what is your travel range ?

How far out do you cruise looking for motorists in distress ?

All over SD County or just metro SD ?

Old 09-08-2008, 05:06 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,376,496 times
Wow, he's like a real life super hero!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Observer View Post
Highwayman what is your travel range ?

How far out do you cruise looking for motorists in distress ?

All over SD County or just metro SD ?

well, I usta go all the way north to San Clemente on the I-5 -- but it's been a while -- price of fuel and all

these days I usually range from the Sunrise Hwy out east on the I-8 to the "Dusty Rhoads" @ the beach end of the 8 -- [ that's the dog park where shela gits her romps ] go as far north as the 5 - 805 merge [ Carmel Valley ] and south as far as Chula Vista

do a lot of turns on the Coronado bridge -- had quite a few incidents there they're always excitin -- necessary to be quick there and to have yer chin strap snug on yer hat if ya wanta keep it

the SR163 through the park is often an adventure too -- both ways -- got some stories

anyways --

not any kind of hero -- jist doin what I can do well -- & plantin a few "seeds" along the way--

This here's onea my "incident" stories --

"My Garden's growin"
by the San Diego Highwayman

Rode in w my bro, in his car, to City Chev this afternoon to pick up my son's diesel 4x for him [ had some work done there *I* didn't want to do http://forums.mammothmountain.com/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif (broken link) ]

Passed by several stranded folks on the I-8 and felt pangs for not bein able to help em [ feel downright nakid w-o my trusty SAR rig or one of my other specially equipped vehicles ]

One gal was particulary poigniat for me as she had a flat and as we passed she was gittin out a stroller as if she was going to walk away from the car down a nearby off ramp -- anyways I made a mental note to check on her comin back -- and she was still there -- soooo I dropped my son's truck at the home 20, and returned to the scene w my trusty rig -- annnd Shela of course http://forums.mammothmountain.com/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif (broken link) --

Now there's a van behind her car, and a feller workin on changin the blown tire w *her* tools [ small stock jack, 1 arm wrench, ect http://forums.mammothmountain.com/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif (broken link) ] he's makin a go of it but he doesn't know yet the spare is FLAT http://forums.mammothmountain.com/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif (broken link)

I hand him my star wrench and proceed to air up the spare for him.

He allows as to how HE'D passed by this gal once previously as well and when he came back by she was still there and he remembered how his wife had had a blowout on the freeway about 4 months previous and someone had stopped to help *her* ===

"And

BTW",

he

said,

"THANKS!

For

helpin

MY wife when she needed it"

http://forums.mammothmountain.com/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif (broken link) http://forums.mammothmountain.com/forum/i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif (broken link) http://forums.mammothmountain.com/forum/i/expressions/rose.gif (broken link)

Old 09-08-2008, 09:35 PM

858 posts, read 1,869,381 times
Wow, just wow! It sounds like a comic book, a novel, an urban legend or something. It's just amazing how you have been doing this for almost 40 years. You're as close as Santa Claus in real life. My hat's off to you!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:48 PM

3,632 posts, read 6,748,629 times
That would be very freaky if someone pulled up in that vehicle when I was broke down. It looks like a hearse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego