U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 PM

48 posts, read 74,755 times

Advertisements

>chuckle<

well -- sofar -- only live folks have rode in it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 11:04 PM

258 posts, read 1,357,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
That would be very freaky if someone pulled up in that vehicle when I was broke down. It looks like a hearse.
But you would be damn glad to see the Highwayman no matter what he was driving if he was there to help you out of trouble!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
That would be very freaky if someone pulled up in that vehicle when I was broke down. It looks like a hearse.

>chuckle<

this gal thought somethin different

funny & talanted gal, jane --

I go back an read this whenever I *need* a chuckle

, February 06, 2006

The Highway Man

by Jane Lui

according to a chinese oracle who calculated my birth and numbers, whenever i run into an issue, someone will be near to lend a hand. it's translated as "royal guest through grand gates."

i got a flat tire yesterday on the 163. so i called road side assistance.
while on the phone with a very nice lady... i saw in my rearview mirror: the Ghostbuster mobile drove up.
i swear.
but on the front it said, "search & rescue."

i pulled my phone away from my ear, looked at it with a raised eyebrow, looked back at the mirror, a man was already walking up to me.

"Hi, i'm here to help. we'll get you on the road in no time."
"what? are you asking for money?"
he hands me a card with the greatest smile.
"no. i do this for fun. i saw you from the other side of the highway, turned around and stopped here."
"wh..what do you mean...you..you do this for FUN..."
while the lady on the phone says, "well... it seems like you're ok..."
"yeah..mm... thanks.. i'll call you again if i need anything..."
he had me hooked.
"it's what i do.. i look for people like you and help them get back on the road. they call me The Highway Man." i then looked for his cape.
while getting my spare on within 5 minutes, he had me standing on the hill incase some drunk didn't see us around the bend. my job was to Scream, if.

i stood there... stunt.
he's been doing this for 20 years. his partner in crime, Shela, had her chin out the window just waiting patiently in her black and white blotches.
his business card says, "Assisting you has been my pleasure. I ask for no payment other than for you to pass on the favor by helping someone in distress that you may encounter."

Today. i am a believer.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:35 PM

Default To "Highwayman"

Did you ever have an experience where you attempted to help but your help was not wanted ?

Has anyone ever become belligerent with you or tried to harm you ?

There are some loonies out there and you never know if you are assisting an escaped felon or a tweeked out kook !

But I'll bet that most people do appreciate your help.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Observer View Post
Did you ever have an experience where you attempted to help but your help was not wanted ?

Has anyone ever become belligerent with you or tried to harm you ?

There are some loonies out there and you never know if you are assisting an escaped felon or a tweeked out kook !

But I'll bet that most people do appreciate your help.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

it's happened -- I jist go on my way -- don't force mself on anyone

had 3 serious incidents in 35 years -- one in the 70s where a group of less then lawfull fellas w a broken down mustang on the I-5 tried ta take MY vehicle when I'd stopped to help em -- let's jist say they was some surprised and they didn't GIT it

turned out afterwards -- the mustang was stolen, and there were warrants out on a couple of em

recently, I stopped to help a feller on the 163 SB JNO the 5th St off -- down from Mercy hospital --
fella looked like onea Clint Eastwood's "salty lookin dude" w jailhouse tattoos, bulgin muscles, shaved head -- had a beat up earliy 90s Tbird w a BO tire & no spare -- been asittin there fer several hours in the heat -- he'd called a friend to bring him a spare -- didn't fit the hub he was from outta town -- just IN town to pick up a friend of his outta jail -- I arrived jist as his friend w the no-fit spare got there -- friend was "interestin lookin" as well they was both bummed -- I gave him my card and took his wheel w the BO back to my "20" and put a decent tire on it that i keep various sizes of fer JIST this purpose [ got bout a hundred or so out behind the barn ] -- took it back to him and put it on the car -- turned to leave -- he grabbed my arm

w tears in his eyes, he said I'd "blown him away" -- he'd sat there in his car readin the card i'd gave him -- he hadn't really believed i was comin back w a tire for him -- nobody had ever done anything like that for him before!

maybe made a convert that day

anyways --

Old 09-10-2008, 06:11 PM

Thats cool that you have had only a couple of bad incidents in 35 years.

Do the SD Police, the SD Sheriffs and the suburban police depts applaud your efforts ?

I know some police disapprove of a good samaritan because of the possibility of bad incidents with strangers.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 PM

4,259 posts, read 5,180,763 times
O great h'man, how do you support yourself $-wise? Independently wealthy or inheritance? An artist or writer? Worked on Wall Street when younger with Gordon Gecko? Working spouse? Retired with fair pension? What was your previous line of work if so? Love your Twain-esque writing style and tales of highways jammed with broken hero on a last chance power drive with burned out skeleton frames of Chevrolets, or something like that.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:35 PM

858 posts, read 1,846,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theHighwayman View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

it's happened -- I jist go on my way -- don't force mself on anyone

had 3 serious incidents in 35 years -- one in the 70s where a group of less then lawfull fellas w a broken down mustang on the I-5 tried ta take MY vehicle when I'd stopped to help em -- let's jist say they was some surprised and they didn't GIT it

turned out afterwards -- the mustang was stolen, and there were warrants out on a couple of em

recently, I stopped to help a feller on the 163 SB JNO the 5th St off -- down from Mercy hospital --
fella looked like onea Clint Eastwood's "salty lookin dude" w jailhouse tattoos, bulgin muscles, shaved head -- had a beat up earliy 90s Tbird w a BO tire & no spare -- been asittin there fer several hours in the heat -- he'd called a friend to bring him a spare -- didn't fit the hub he was from outta town -- just IN town to pick up a friend of his outta jail -- I arrived jist as his friend w the no-fit spare got there -- friend was "interestin lookin" as well they was both bummed -- I gave him my card and took his wheel w the BO back to my "20" and put a decent tire on it that i keep various sizes of fer JIST this purpose [ got bout a hundred or so out behind the barn ] -- took it back to him and put it on the car -- turned to leave -- he grabbed my arm

w tears in his eyes, he said I'd "blown him away" -- he'd sat there in his car readin the card i'd gave him -- he hadn't really believed i was comin back w a tire for him -- nobody had ever done anything like that for him before!

maybe made a convert that day

anyways --
somehow I was moved by that story. I just saw a Homeless World Cup documentary which was about homeless people being teamed up to represent their country (47 countries competition). It appears that all these homeless people of all ages and races were having hopes of becoming better in their life after the games. It was moving.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Observer View Post
Thats cool that you have had only a couple of bad incidents in 35 years.

Do the SD Police, the SD Sheriffs and the suburban police depts applaud your efforts ?

I know some police disapprove of a good samaritan because of the possibility of bad incidents with strangers.

well *most* officers I meet are friendly

had one "light me up" and pull me over bout 5 year ago, 9:30 @ night, jist short of *my* offramp from I-8 EB -- I'd been out cruisin fer several hours and hadn't come across anyone ta help so wasn't feelin real great jist then, when, HO LEE CHIT! -- NOW I'm gonna git a ticket -- an I cain't think fer what?? -- an WORSE -- I never saw him comin -- [ I keep a pretty good lookout bout traffic ahead, around, & behind me ]

anyways -- officer walks upta my window -- sticks his hand in and shakes mine -- and allows as to how he's seen me at accident and breakdown incidents fer the 17 years he's been on the East County beat and he's never had the opprtunity ta say "thanks" --

[ cause I always leave right away when officers or medics arrive and establish control -- lessin they ask me ta stay ]

I said "officer, ya nigh on ta give me a heart attack jist now"

he chuckled NICE fella

anyways

a couple over the years haven't been friendly [ which is why I leave right away ] -- one who REALLY wasn't isn't an officer any longer

Last edited by theHighwayman; 09-11-2008 at 06:29 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
O great h'man, how do you support yourself $-wise?
*work fer it*
Independently wealthy or inheritance?
*nope*
An artist or writer?
*nope -- although I AM puttin down some incident stories fer maybe a book when I cain't DO any longer*
Worked on Wall Street when younger with Gordon Gecko?
*nope* he the Geico lizard?
Working spouse?
*nope*
Retired with fair pension?
*nope*
What was your previous line of work if so?
*was and AM a mechanic*
Love your Twain-esque writing style and tales of highways jammed with broken hero on a last chance power drive with burned out skeleton frames of Chevrolets, or something like that.
* thankee, I think?*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego