U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:11 PM

258 posts, read 1,360,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theHighwayman View Post
well *most* officers I meet are friendly
Thats good that most of the cops appreciate your community services.

On another note, my wife and I are new (less than 2 years) to El Cajon and live in the Fletcher Hills neighborhood. I like it very much.

I've seen TOO MANY negative posts about El Cajon on this forum. (crime, drugs, lots of illegals, gangs, etc.....)

You are an El Cajon resident and a good example of a friendly neighbor.
Being a long time resident of EC whats your opinion on the town ?

I don't know about the rest of the town, but Fletcher Hills is nice and quiet and there are good folks here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,185 times
Default It's not the Money, but it sure ain't free

Well since it looks like my Dad didn't answer the question directly.... maybe I can help reply to that $$$ situation. The only wealth that has plagued our family has been the over abundance of Love and Desire to help others. There have been a couple people/entities over the years that have helped here or there but the simple fact is that the Highwayman's ways cost a lot of money. A modest but full life has helped him give more then he keeps for himself, and in doing so.... well that's the reward.

People magazine, the local newspapers, numerous news stations, and now Readers Digest along with some others have/are working on stories about the Highwayman. Of course this only brings awareness, not wealth.

All I know is he's always said I make him proud, but I sure pale in comparison. I'm sure I'm in a line with many that can say he's a Hero, but I'm one of only two that can claim him as DAD!!!

God bless, and I hope you all have a chance to meet him someday!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 11:23 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,995,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Observer View Post

I've seen TOO MANY negative posts about El Cajon on this forum. (crime, drugs, lots of illegals, gangs, etc.....)
For some parts of El Cajon maybe, but those negative comments you read sure don't speak the truth for the entire city. People go to the extreme when they give their opinion of a city sometime. I live in Escondido and hear all the same negativity about here to, but just like El Cajon it doesn't speak true for the entire city.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:41 AM

28 posts, read 102,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellerbee View Post
Well since it looks like my Dad didn't answer the question directly.... maybe I can help reply to that $$$ situation. The only wealth that has plagued our family has been the over abundance of Love and Desire to help others. There have been a couple people/entities over the years that have helped here or there but the simple fact is that the Highwayman's ways cost a lot of money. A modest but full life has helped him give more then he keeps for himself, and in doing so.... well that's the reward.

People magazine, the local newspapers, numerous news stations, and now Readers Digest along with some others have/are working on stories about the Highwayman. Of course this only brings awareness, not wealth.

All I know is he's always said I make him proud, but I sure pale in comparison. I'm sure I'm in a line with many that can say he's a Hero, but I'm one of only two that can claim him as DAD!!!

God bless, and I hope you all have a chance to meet him someday!!!
WOW! God bless your Dad! God bless America for people like your Dad!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
For some parts of El Cajon maybe, but those negative comments you read sure don't speak the truth for the entire city. People go to the extreme when they give their opinion of a city sometime. I live in Escondido and hear all the same negativity about here to, but just like El Cajon it doesn't speak true for the entire city.
Thanks for defending the good parts of EC.
You are right that too many folks jump the gun in condemning an entire town because of some rough patches.

I vote the Highwayman "El Cajon Resident Of The Year" for his good deeds to strangers........

Old 09-13-2008, 01:01 AM

48 posts, read 74,826 times
I AM prouda that kid

our neighborhood's had some "rough patches" over the years

they don't tend ta last -- and *some* kin be changed --

Making A Change

About graffiti...

I carry a can of carb cleaner and a bundle of shop rags in the rig specifically for ridding *my* neighborhood of this crap -- keeps it from proliferating.

The Story:

Years ago a kid came tearing around my corner on a bike, threw a paper sack in my neighbor's yard as he passed; rattled when it hit. Right behind him comes a small import pickup, in hot pursuit, apparently. They disappear round the next corner and I hear the sound of squealing tires.

Well, I decide to check the bag and it's got spray cans of paint in it. Jumped into my rig and followed. Came upon the pickup with one wheel up on the curb, the bike laying on the median, and the driver and the kid circling each other on the lawn of a house there.

The driver was apparently afraid to touch the kid who looked 13 -14years old. Well, I had my cell phone in my hand, already having called 911, as the driver explained to me that he had caught the kid tagging a couple of blocks away and had chased him.

At that I took a hold of the kid's arm. He was trying to leave and held him firmly. Told him the police were on the way and asked him why in the hell he would mess up my neighborhood like that?

He said, "What do you care? It wasn't in YOUR neighborhood!"

I said, "This CITY is my neighborhood, so is this COUNTY, so is this STATE, so is this COUNTRY!!! Are you a PERSON or an ANIMAL? Animals "mark" their territory!"

Had a talk with him about responsibility and being a "man" and said that if he didn't have anything going on at home he could come to me and I'd include him in my beach - snowplay expeditions that I've organized for numerous other young guns like him throughout my years here.

Just then, the police arrived and arrested him. He wasn't scared of them at all. Said he'd been arrested before, like it was a badge of honor or something.

Anyways…

They took him away and I figured I'd be seeing some tagging on MY property by way of retaliation when he got out, but no, never heard from him. Few years later, I'm walking around my local Pep Boy's store doing some shopping and there's a young fella in a Pep Boy's uniform, kinda following me around eying me.

He comes up to me and asks, "You don't recognize me, do you?"

I say, "No, have we met before?"

He says, "Yes"

Something in the way he says it alerts me to ask, "Was it a good or bad meeting?"

He says, "Well, it was kinda bad ----- but kinda good too because what you said to me started me thinking about what I was doing and who I wanted to be and, well, I'm working on it, THANKS! "

You could have pushed me over with a feather.

Happy Trails,

Thomas Weller

Old 09-13-2008, 04:02 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,194,246 times
O h'man, though you 'r rich in spirit and soul, fer danero ($), how 'bouts hookin' up or partnerin' with the legendary Click-n-Clack, that show could use some, your refreshin'. PM moi to send me my cut when you make it big times.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
O h'man, though you 'r rich in spirit and soul, fer danero ($), how 'bouts hookin' up or partnerin' with the legendary Click-n-Clack, that show could use some, your refreshin'. PM moi to send me my cut when you make it big times.
WTF ? ............ , , ,

Do explain please.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:19 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,194,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Observer View Post
WTF ? ............ , , ,

Do explain please.
Hywayman speak. He'll get it. Me hopes.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:15 PM

105 posts, read 271,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Hywayman speak. He'll get it. Me hopes.
If not, you could always send it to Popeye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego