U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,494 times

Advertisements

He is a sweetheart! With the economy the way it has been folks aren't gassing up or taking care of general maintenance and he has been 'helping' more than he should. If you are fortunate enough to see him, or be assisted....insist on giving a donation for the next guy he helps. Remember, his income hasn't gone up either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 08:09 AM

49 posts, read 78,915 times
Default Well now

Them are nice sentiments, thanke all

been settin moren I liketa recently

the Supreme Master's "assistance" from last year's done run out now [ spent it on fuel costs ] so I'm rationin my "playtime"

had a few "issues" w my SAR rig as well -- it's got a crack in the right cylinder head leakin coolant -- luckily externally -- ECZ-G cylinder heads fer my 57 Y-block 312 engine are bout easy to find as hens teeth & expensive as diamonds since that engine is the same as a 57 T-birds and folks that have them birds generally HAVE bucks

each time, afore I head out ta play now, I haveta check coolant level & add so's *I* don't become onea thos needin assistance beside the road gone thru quite a lot of coolant & alumaseal now

rig's only come home "on the hook" once in 40 years
that was when it busted a left motor mount on accelleration, lettin the engin rise up in the compartment, which busted the oil pressure switch -- luckily, it happened jist before I stopped downtown on business -- so I didn't run dry of oil came outta the business and noticed pool of oil under the rig crawled under and discovered why -- & called the tow -- ONLY time so far [ knock on wood - my head ]

HAVE had many "adventures" over the years though -- here's onea them --

kinda excitin day

by theHighwayman on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:54 pm
Well "the weather outside is frighfull"
But I was havin a great time helpin folks @ numerous incidents of different kinds in the blustery rain --
right upta the moment my wipers suddenly stopped and my engine died seconds later
I was jist comin up on a "situation" on the RS that I had done a "go around" to be able to approach safely [ couple of vehicles had played little "tag" in the rain and when I first saw em were stopped IN a traffic lane but I wasn't in position to come up behind em safely w-out causin worse mself soooo I did a "goaround" to come back to em right quick --
anyways my wipers quit suddenly as I was comin up onta the freeway from the underpass ramp -- makin it kinda hard to see -- then -w-out warnin the engine shut down like I'd turned off the key
luckily -- I had enuf momentum that I was able to coast in behind the damaged vehicles -- that were now on the RS out of traffic lanes -- and my emergency lighting and arrow bar were still functional
anyways, after determining no one was hurt and they were exchangin info and callin a tow fer the one I went back to my vehicle to figure out if *I* was gonna need a tow
Well, my old SAR rig don't have lectric wipers like t-day's --
it has vacuum powered wipers -- engine vacuum -- that drops on acceleration, normally causin the wipers to slow down jist at the time ya NEED em to be workin their fastest -- UNLESS -- ya have a Trico Electro Vac [vacuum booster] that kicks in to keep the wipers goin
I *had* one until t-day
It seized -- stoppin the wipers -- AND -- blowin the main ignition fuse -- lucky I carry spares
took me a leetil while to figure it out in the pourin rain
BUT
no tow fer me t-DAY
Now -- anybody got a Trico Electro Vac asittin on the shelf somewheres?
I'd admire ta have it so's I kin keep on "playin" in bad weather

found one btw -- so I'm still able to be "out there" playin in bad weather

Well, enuf yammerin fer me this mornin I DO accept "assistance" from folks who like what I'm doin-- so's I kin do more of it -- if ya'd liketa -- here's my site San Diego Highwayman -- DOG is my copilot

GOOD onyas

Old 10-04-2009, 01:08 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,677,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elduderino View Post
Sounds like a horror movie to me....
I think most people would be better off just joing AAA.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 PM

Talking well now

lotsa nice people @ AAA

"It's a dark and stormy night" on the 805 SB JSO the Murray Dr OR -- I come upon a young gal in a bad spot w a blowout -- she's on her cell phone as I come up to her window -- I hear her sayin " a car that looks like the ghostmobile just pulled up behind me and the driver's comin up to me -- she says to me "I'm on the phone to triple A and the person says they KNOW of you and that you're all right to help me."

Folks @ AAA have approached me to work for em -- jist one problem w that fer me -- iffin I worked fer em, then, I could only help AAA clients -- I help anyone I come across, if they let me -- have helped hundreds of AAA clients over the years got a LOT of stories

oneavam kinda embarrassin iffin I'd known this was said -- I'da asked Steve not to include it -- he was interviewin this gal whilst I was changin the tire and I never heard it till it aired --
The Good Samaritan In A Station Wagon - CBS Evening News - CBS News

I was mortified! I called the SoCal rep for AAA to apoligise! She said "No worries, you can't control what people say"

Last edited by theHighwayman; 10-04-2009 at 10:56 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 01:57 AM

Default most recently --

had some fun out there "playin"

Photoshoot with Thomas Weller, San Diego Highwayman | RobertBenson.com (http://robertbenson.com/blog/2009/11/11/todays-shoot/ - broken link)

Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 AM

the results of thet photoshoot --

To the Rescue - American Profile (http://www.americanprofile.com/heroes/article/39320.html - broken link)

Old 10-18-2010, 04:53 PM

DANG IT!

"Found On Road Dead"
by theHighwayman Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:15 am
My old reliable FORD SAR rig has kicked the bucket
Was out "playin" on Wednesday Oct 13th, [ looks like an unlucky number for me ] helped several folks stranded w various difficulities
had been noticin Shela actin oddly thru-out the mornin --
normally "She" rides w her head out the windah, chin restin on the padded rail edge -- observin the passin scenery -- t-day She's actin antsy -- goin from the windah to beteen the bucket seats and back multiple times --
stopped to let her out a couple of times in case She hadta "go"
Weren't *that* as it turns out
Shela's got better hearin then me -- i'm guessin She was hearin the difference in 4RESCUE's engine sounds afore I did cause jist as I transitioned from SB I-5 to NB I-15 I thought *I* heard somethin unusual as i was accelleratin [ faintly ] wasn't shure I'd heard right but decided to head fer home jist the same --
on the way, comin up the grade from Mission Valley to College on the I-8, *my* ears confirmed my worst fear ------- ROD knockin under load ---- greater the "load" [ accelleration ] LOUDER the knock!
limped the rig home, still runs to move it around here @ the "ranch" but cain't be usefully driven anymores
worse!
jist TRY to find a y-block 312 engine these days
I'm tryin --
jist started this -- http://snowchains.tripod.com/sandieg...ogonlinediary/ coupla weeks ago -- it's lookin like it mighta been a premonition of my time runnin out as I've always said I'd write a book when I couldn't DO anymores
Thing is -- I'm not ready to quit!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:16 PM

16,584 posts, read 30,470,792 times
Dump a 302 in her.. I mean it.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:46 PM

dealin w the adaptions -- trans, driveshaft, motormounts, power steerin, exhaust -- necessary to do THAT is not within my realm of doin -- easy to say -- not so easy to do --thx fer suggestion tho

Old 10-22-2010, 08:11 AM

4,483 posts, read 7,264,201 times
Wow.....what a great soul to do this. Reading things like this reaffirm my belief that there are really great people in the world. Sometimes these days it's easy to see the general negative in society but not the positives.

It makes me feel great that there are people in the area like this. We're moving to the San Diego area next year and reading about this gives me a good positive feeling.

Keep up the great work Highwayman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego