U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:18 PM

258 posts, read 1,357,569 times

Advertisements

Since moving here I've heard locals talk about a very generous and helpful guy called the "Highwayman".

Apparently he helps out stranded motorists without expecting any financial compensation. Now thats a good samaritan. Hopefully people that he helps give him some kind of appreciation.

I've never heard of any such good samaritans in any other big cities across the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 16,190 times
Sounds like a horror movie to me....

Old 09-03-2008, 06:00 PM

Well I found out that there is indeed a "Highwayman" who lives in El Cajon.

Seems he's been assisting motorists in peril for over 38 years.

That's cool that he's helped so many folks in the past and not expected any money in return.

But because of the high gas prices he's had to cut back the amount of hours in search of accident victims and motorists in trouble.

I don't know the guy, but cheers to the "Highwayman" !

Old 09-03-2008, 06:20 PM

61 posts, read 139,223 times
Yep, I have seen him for years. And he has a white old old ambulance (sorry not a car enthusiast) that has Search and Rescue on the side of it. You will see him if you drive the East County a lot, going home on I8 to Crest (rural area east of El Cajon).

He also sells snow chains. We bough some and cracked up it was the same guy we always see! Very nice man.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:44 AM

1,658 posts, read 6,389,676 times
What the (four letter word that if I said it would make me look un-professional)

Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
What the (four letter word that if I said it would make me look un-professional)
Yikes !

Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 AM

61 posts, read 139,223 times
Default Like this but white... thought you were impressed with the help?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 AM

83 posts, read 251,825 times
Okay people, breathe!! I understand that the thought of someone helping another without monetary compensation is foreign, strange and evidently creepy. However, the guy has been doing this for a *long* time and if he was gonna go postal on us, I think he'd have done it already.

Seeing a dude drive by on I-8 in a Ghostbusters-mobile is head-turner, though.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:38 AM

22 posts, read 72,744 times
I drive by his house everyday when I take my dog to the park. If you think his car is interesting....you should see his house! It is GREAT. Looks like it should be in the rural mountains and they change stuff around for every season. You can tell they are good people.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:24 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,337,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Observer View Post
Since moving here I've heard locals talk about a very generous and helpful guy called the "Highwayman".

Apparently he helps out stranded motorists without expecting any financial compensation. Now thats a good samaritan. Hopefully people that he helps give him some kind of appreciation.

I've never heard of any such good samaritans in any other big cities across the USA.
I am not surprised that there exists a "Highwayman" in San Diego who helps people without expecting any financial compensation- and I don't think it is creepy. I really feel there are lots of Good Samaritans, honest and kind people in San Diego. I've had positive experiences when I was in need of help. Like the time my bike broke while I was riding it and a stranger who just pulled up into their driveway took the initiative to walk up and helped me pull the gear out of the wheel so I could coast down the hill to home. It may seem like a small thing, but it really made my day knowing there are people who can step outside of their own busy lives to help a stranger in the street with a broken bike. I honestly think in LA, no one would notice my situation, and if they did they probably wouldn't step forward to help but let me handle it on my own. Or even worse, drive by me really fast and rev their car for a thrill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego