U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 08:44 PM
cm5 cm5 started this thread

2 posts, read 4,378 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we are considering a reloc from Northern VA to San Diego. My husband would work out of the universities area.
Am I dreaming if I'm looking for :
- a commute time less than 20min one way,
- a good public elementary school,
- a house (5 bed) for less than $600k
- a safe neighborhood with lots of families with young kids?

If not, where would that dream place be?

Thanks for help.
caroline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 11:49 PM

858 posts, read 1,892,425 times
Everything is possible, except for a 5 bedroom house that is less than $600K. You probably need to spend another 100K.

Which university area is he working at? Universal City, Mission Valley or LaJolla?

Old 09-17-2008, 10:10 AM

2,207 posts, read 5,141,095 times
I'd say unless you are moving to Poway, you'll find the schools much lacking compared to Fairfax.
Otherwise you'll be happy in SD. I like SD better for beaches, weather; NoVA better for schools, culture.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:41 AM

28,660 posts, read 26,505,771 times
classifieds - craigslist=

Good luck, it will be a tough one. that close to work I'd start looking at Tierra Santa or Allied Gardens.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:08 AM

77 posts, read 342,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5 View Post
Hi,
we are considering a reloc from Northern VA to San Diego. My husband would work out of the universities area.
Am I dreaming if I'm looking for :
- a good public elementary school,

If not, where would that dream place be?

Thanks for help.
caroline
My area in Mira Mesa may not completely meet your needs.

Trip to UCSD is 9 miles ---Time: 13 mins (on clear traffic)

- a good public elementary school
Best one is Ericson Elementary but Poway has better schools and newer looking schools.

You need to remodel a 4 bedroom house and add the 5th bedroom. Also the neighborhood on the Ericson side (east) of Mira Mesa is worn down so you need to live on the West side with newer homes and select Ericson as a CHOICE school.

There are families with young kids and they are found in the neighborhood parks but people move around a lot so not a guarantee. The only guarantee to meet young families is to join the youth sports, scouts, etc. Check out the sex offenders mapping to check out the sex offenders in the neighborhood - http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/disclaimer.aspx. Protect your car by not leaving valuables in the car and having an alarm. Protect your house by having alarms and working cameras outside. Participate in the neighborhood watch.

It's okay. I have not found my dream place either and I have been here longer. SO we are trying to clean up our place to make it a dreamy place - http://www.miramesa.com/beautify-mir...eed-your-help/. HAHA!! Residents should not litter and not steal and abandon shopping carts - big problem in the 21st century.

Last edited by Mira-Mesa-Resident; 09-17-2008 at 11:29 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 11:19 AM

7,991 posts, read 24,519,419 times
I think the 5BR home is going to be your biggest problem.

Look at the older areas of Poway or RB. Allied Gardens, Tierrasanta, San Carlos are good options too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego