U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 09:04 PM

10 posts, read 16,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT09 View Post
So, I moved out here with my better half. We make well over six figures. We see now that SD is very expensive, so much so we may bolt out of here. It's not just RE, the costs of everyday items are 20 to 100% more than other parts of the USA. It reminds me of the bay area, except for one small detail- jobs here do not pay near what bay area does.

Now I am not a penny pincher. Won't find me at isle 4 of family dollar buying toothpaste. But I'm also not a fan of $100 left in the bank account the day before payday.

So, how do SD people make it? I am assuming you just have to settle for less...

And why, unlike other high cost areas, does SD get away with paying so little. Notice the words "get away"- it should not be like this.
Just curious... Where did you live prior to SD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 09:30 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 5,312,734 times
Sounds like you should do a budget to see what is going on. Many people with a net value of $1 million+ shop at Costco and Wal-Mart.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:45 PM

10,447 posts, read 14,015,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I often hear about people saying the jobs here pay crap... just curious about what type of jobs or industry you are referring more specifically to?
Like others have said, it depends. I work in the urban/transportation planning industry and when I was looking for a real full time job after my college internship, all the jobs in LA/OC and the Bay Area paid more than SD and there were just way more jobs to choose from too. But like a lot of people I wanted to stay in SD so I took what I could get and have a decent salary but it's less than I could get elsewhere. I almost considered commuting to Irvine b/c they just had more and better paying jobs. Some of my friends though make good money in their respective field like finance or IT.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:09 PM

7 posts, read 2,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Some people have to settle for less, many here can't afford and/or choose not to buy unnecessary material things that people in others areas can buy like flat screen TV's, live in a new home, etc.. Some of us just settle for less material things and a nice, big new home to live here. For some it's worth it for others it's not. If you're making over $100k and feel like you don't have enough money then not penny pinching may be your problem. Anyone making over $100k can easily live here but it depends on one's personal preferences and what they want whether or not that $100k+ is enough.

And jobs pay crap here for the COL and employers continue to get away with it, it sucks....
Your right- I don't need 100k to live here. But I do have a certain lifestyle in mind. In most places, 100k will buy you a fairly comfortable standard of living. In SD, it seems, you just get by. As I said before, this is also the case in SF and NYC. But... and this is a big but(pardon the expression)...... in SF and NYC you can make the $$$ needed to do very well. You pay but you can also play. SD does not seem to offer that momentum to do well. And that issue, not so much the costs, makes me darned skeptical about staying here. Even so, I really do like the place over all.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I often hear about people saying the jobs here pay crap... just curious about what type of jobs or industry you are referring more specifically to?
Tech and sales. Two hot professions that seem cold here.

The wife's current job pay would be literally cut in half were she at SD based position. I know some things about economics and I am not sure how SD got into this position, but it cannot be good for the city. Smart young people will not stick around just to surf forever. I cannot help but think the Airport has something to do with it. Perhaps a long time SDeiagan can explain why?? They may be choosing to do this.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:22 PM

77 posts, read 278,109 times
Quote:
So, I moved out here with my better half. We make well over six figures. We see now that SD is very expensive, so much so we may bolt out of here. It's not just RE, the costs of everyday items are 20 to 100% more than other parts of the USA. It reminds me of the bay area, except for one small detail- jobs here do not pay near what bay area does.

Now I am not a penny pincher. Won't find me at isle 4 of family dollar buying toothpaste. But I'm also not a fan of $100 left in the bank account the day before payday.

So, how do SD people make it? I am assuming you just have to settle for less...

And why, unlike other high cost areas, does SD get away with paying so little. Notice the words "get away"- it should not be like this.
Interesting....

1) So, I moved out here with my better half.
2) We make well over six figures.
3) We see now that SD is very expensive, so much so we may bolt out of here. It's not just RE, the costs of everyday items are 20 to 100% more than other parts of the USA. It reminds me of the bay area, except for one small detail- jobs here do not pay near what bay area does.
4) Now I am not a penny pincher. Won't find me at isle 4 of family dollar buying toothpaste.
5) But I'm also not a fan of $100 left in the bank account the day before payday.
6) So, how do SD people make it? I am assuming you just have to settle for less...
7) And why, unlike other high cost areas, does SD get away with paying so little.

Assumptions:
1) You have a spouse and it is just you and the spouse.
2) Let's say you two make $160,000 a year - $80K each per year.
3) You have trouble with living on $13,333 per month gross or about $9000 net/month. Let's say you have a $1 mil house with $5000 mortgage per month. Let's say about $1000 goes to investments per month. That's about $3000 left to play with.
4) You shop at Nordstroms and the expensive places.
5) The $3000 left really goes fast.
6) How do people make it? Shopping at the dollar store and Walmart. Live in homes/condos with $1200 mortgage or less per month. Go to the restaurants like Callahans to order a burger and watch their TVs. Check out videos/DVDs from the library. Get free stuff from Craigslist at san diego free stuff classifieds - craigslist -- Take advantage of Tuesday night specials at the restaurants. Buy the $1 values at McDonalds, Carls, Jack In the Box, etc. Use double coupons at Vons. Go to rummage sales and garage sales. Beg for money at the street islands of Rancho Bernardo with a homeless sign. Possibilities are endless.
7) Why does SD get away with paying so little? Because SD can.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:54 PM

2) I don't know SD would pay us that. Dallas would, San Jose too.
7) That's not how a working labor market, or any market for that matter, works. San Diego is just like any other town. They must compete, and increasingly globally, for talent. No talent= no industry. No industry=bankrupt gov.

And we all know the Gov is always interested in Money. If I scoot off to Dallas and start to wear a cowboy hat to work, SD loses.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:59 PM

10,447 posts, read 14,015,627 times
Quote:
Your right- I don't need 100k to live here. But I do have a certain lifestyle in mind. In most places, 100k will buy you a fairly comfortable standard of living. In SD, it seems, you just get by. As I said before, this is also the case in SF and NYC. But... and this is a big but(pardon the expression)...... in SF and NYC you can make the $$$ needed to do very well. You pay but you can also play. SD does not seem to offer that momentum to do well. And that issue, not so much the costs, makes me darned skeptical about staying here. Even so, I really do like the place over all.
Well you're definitely not alone in your feelings; A LOT of people have to ask themselves whether it's worth it here or not. For some it is and for some it's not, sometimes the weather, scenery, lifestyle etc.. is not enough to keep them here. I think SD has one of the worst job markets/opportunities for a metro with it's COL. Expensive places like SF, NYC, Boston, DC, etc.. have better job opportunities with better pay overall. To me SD is somewhat similar to Miami with its COL being really out of whack with average salaries. But it's a great place for many and it's what we put up with to live here, basically it's the "sunshine tax" BS and it what it is.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:01 AM

190 posts, read 456,588 times
Change your lifestyle. I have no sympathies for the well to do who still seemingly "can't afford" living somewhere even though they are well above the median income for the city/county/state/country.

I just do not understand the gist of this thread. Maybe it was my background coming from a third world country, but I just find it really hard to believe you're finding it hard here in SD with a six figure income.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
but good luck getting to 125, 150, or 200k working for a corporation in San Diego. The depth and breadth of job opportunities is just not here.
I think they could pay that, but for whatever reason it has not been demanded. I assure you people from GE, IBM, HP, AT&T, Northrop, Siemens, etc are in SD and some of them pull down 150+. But those companies have market factors in their salaries.

A local company simply pays what person X will accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego