U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-17-2008, 07:23 PM
 
7 posts, read 2,149 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

So, I moved out here with my better half. We make well over six figures. We see now that SD is very expensive, so much so we may bolt out of here. It's not just RE, the costs of everyday items are 20 to 100% more than other parts of the USA. It reminds me of the bay area, except for one small detail- jobs here do not pay near what bay area does.

Now I am not a penny pincher. Won't find me at isle 4 of family dollar buying toothpaste. But I'm also not a fan of $100 left in the bank account the day before payday.

So, how do SD people make it? I am assuming you just have to settle for less...

And why, unlike other high cost areas, does SD get away with paying so little. Notice the words "get away"- it should not be like this.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2008, 07:26 PM
 
11,726 posts, read 24,828,716 times
Reputation: 7136
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT09 View Post
So, I moved out here with my better half. We make well over six figures. We see now that SD is very expensive, so much so we may bolt out of here. It's not just RE, the costs of everyday items are 20 to 100% more than other parts of the USA. It reminds me of the bay area, except for one small detail- jobs here do not pay near what bay area does.

Now I am not a penny pincher. Won't find me at isle 4 of family dollar buying toothpaste. But I'm also not a fan of $100 left in the bank account the day before payday.

So, how do SD people make it? I am assuming you just have to settle for less...

And why, unlike other high cost areas, does SD get away with paying so little. Notice the words "get away"- it should not be like this.
Because there's a line 3000 miles long of people who can't wait to move to coastal California based on what they saw on TV.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 07:27 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
10,446 posts, read 14,015,627 times
Reputation: 5596
Some people have to settle for less, many here can't afford and/or choose not to buy unnecessary material things that people in others areas can buy like flat screen TV's, live in a new home, etc.. Some of us just settle for less material things and a nice, big new home to live here. For some it's worth it for others it's not. If you're making over $100k and feel like you don't have enough money then not penny pinching may be your problem. Anyone making over $100k can easily live here but it depends on one's personal preferences and what they want whether or not that $100k+ is enough.

And jobs pay crap here for the COL and employers continue to get away with it, it sucks....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,548 times
Reputation: 10
I know what you mean used to live in SD moved to Temecula an hour away, prices are a little better maybe 5% if that and now I am dealing with 118 degree heat and 81% humidity, get out and away not just 75 miles either am looking at properity and found could sell in this heat box and buy 3 homes in decent neighborhoods for the price of ours am moving as soon as we sell! I totally understand why there is a dollar store on every corner here thats all you can afford in ca
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
1,074 posts, read 1,693,207 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Some people have to settle for less, many here can't afford and/or choose not to buy unnecessary material things that people in others areas can buy like flat screen TV's, live in a new home, etc.. Some of us just settle for less material things and a nice, big new home to live here. For some it's worth it for others it's not. If you're making over $100k and feel like you don't have enough money then not penny pinching may be your problem. Anyone making over $100k can easily live here but it depends on one's personal preferences and what they want whether or not that $100k+ is enough.

And jobs pay crap here for the COL and employers continue to get away with it, it sucks....
I often hear about people saying the jobs here pay crap... just curious about what type of jobs or industry you are referring more specifically to?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 07:42 PM
 
2,724 posts, read 4,761,355 times
Reputation: 1325
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I often hear about people saying the jobs here pay crap... just curious about what type of job or industry you are referring more specifically to?
In a way your question almost is an answer, because it does depend on the line of work your doing. In my line of work the starting pay is extremely competitive to the rest of the nation. So it's definitely not all jobs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 07:50 PM
 
Location: The Box - El Cajon
258 posts, read 1,052,270 times
Reputation: 97
Just curious and not being funny, but if "well off" people can't make it how are all of the working poor and illegals who work for sub-standard cash wages making it ?

If many upper middle-class tax payers leave SD and indeed California this state WILL become a third world welfare state.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 08:11 PM
 
190 posts, read 456,455 times
Reputation: 58
If you're household is making $100,000++ for less than 4 people and you have $100 left in your bank account before payday living in San Diego, I think you have a problem bigger than living here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
 
Location: The Box - El Cajon
258 posts, read 1,052,270 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post
If you're household is making $100,000++ for less than 4 people and you have $100 left in your bank account before payday living in San Diego, I think you have a problem bigger than living here.
Well put. ............................. SDGT09, no offence but you are probably not shopping smart. Try economizing for some things. Even if it means going to one of those dreaded dollar stores !

Really though, the dollar stores are good for toothpaste, tissues, toilet paper, etc.... For what you would pay at Vons, Walgreens or Longs you can get the exact name brand item for $1.00.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Rolando, San Diego CA 92115
7,173 posts, read 18,621,374 times
Reputation: 2947
Guys, 100k for a family of four is not what it used to be, and if you are renting there is a big tax bite too. Suggesting that people should shop in the 99 cent store is a bit silly - that toothpaste was most likely meant to be sold in Mexico.

There is a price to be paid to live here. There is a real cost and an opportunity cost. Most people trade-off something to live here. It is all a question of your situation and your priorities. Young & single & entry level is different than older with kids and a home and a mid-level career.

Yes, you can have that relatively inexpensive new home but it might be in Temecula or Chula Vista and you might spend an hour in your car in heavy traffic getting to work every morning. You can live in that upscale suburb with great schools, but you might also be stretching to the limit to pay the mortgage. You can have that cute house in the hip and funky neighborhood but you also will have terrible schools and some scary characters wandering around from time to time.

The reality is that the Sunshine Tax in San Diego is real and well-known. There are some fields that avoid it, at least at the lower levels, but good luck getting to 125, 150, or 200k working for a corporation in San Diego. The depth and breadth of job opportunities is just not here. Los Angeles is a world-class talent and business magnet that sucks up those resources. San Diego is a resort town, military town, retirement town, with a small science and engineering cluster.

There is a huge population of retirees and wealthy people in San Diego. There is also a large class of middle-income homeowners in San Diego who are living paycheck to paycheck despite paying 150k for their houses. 100k is not going to cut it in San Diego if you want to be a homeowner. Despite the housing crash the situation has really not changed. However if you can afford it, it's worth it to a lot of people. Many people who consider San Diego overpriced have to move to a much cheaper market to get ahead.

I own a modest home in a modest area. I made the trade-offs and understood that going into it. I make a very good living here - nice cars, flat-screen TV, vacations, the whole thing. But I am also in the preliminary stages of planning a move away from San Diego. It's not because I want to, but it might just be something I have to do, for my family. The reality is that while San Diego is a great place, I work too much to take advantage of most of what it has to offer, and paying such a high price for those amenities is just not the best use of my money. However if I were to stumble upon a big chunk of cash, you can bet I would stick around for good.

Last edited by Sassberto; 09-17-2008 at 09:52 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top