Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 PM

14 posts, read 61,388 times

Advertisements

Southeast San Diego area, preferbly around Valencia Park neighborhood because its where I grew up and its home sweet home to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 11:11 AM

15 posts, read 127,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Hey Sassberto.....your first choice...my parents live there....fourth choice....my in-laws!! lol When they pass on I'll give ya a good deal!! That's one of the main things I miss about SD...the spanish style home!! I thought they would have them in Texas.....but no...they don't.
(Off Topic)
Now I grew up in Irving Texas, North side of town near the Las Colinas area and there is nothing there except Spanish style homes. My parents still live there in a BIG one. You must be looking in the wrong neighborhood.

As for me I live in Rancho Bernardo right now but I am thinking about Solana Beach area.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:42 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,464 times
Really?? Wow...I've been through the Irving area and never saw any....hubby even use to work in Las Colinas. I've see some architecture that looks kind of "spanish" but nothing that looks like the white stucco ....tile roof....ect. that you see in Cali. I guess I missed them.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 PM

601 posts, read 1,450,915 times
Scripps Ranch, easy access from all directions, fully developed, low crime, great schools and not too snobby.

Sadly, I'll have to move out of here to the OC. Looking for an OC clone of Scripps Ranch.

bd5

Old 03-02-2007, 02:28 PM

15 posts, read 127,695 times
Quote:
Really?? Wow...I've been through the Irving area and never saw any....hubby even use to work in Las Colinas. I've see some architecture that looks kind of "spanish" but nothing that looks like the white stucco ....tile roof....ect. that you see in Cali. I guess I missed them.
My bad. You are talking about Spainish Colonial which is the smooth white stucco and cast tile roofs. Your right, almost never see them in Texas or at least not the Dallas Fort Worth area. You will find them in Austin and San Antonio areas but not many around DFW. I was thinking of the Old World Spanish style, ranch style, mostly red clay brick and cut or puzzled together stone walls.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 PM

67 posts, read 339,339 times
Del Mar for me!!!!!

Old 03-03-2007, 10:07 PM

67 posts, read 339,339 times
Oops! That's not really San Diego, but Del Mar anyway!!

Old 03-04-2007, 06:26 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Not to hijack the thread, but I see the West Coast Spainish style homes coming out here slowly in the form of high end custom homes. I live in the Willow Bend area of Plano and some of the 1mill+ homes here would not look out of place sitting on the cliffs of Corona Del Mar in OC.

As for the best place in San Diego, I'd have to say out near the sub base in Point Loma. In fact, if we could move that sub base, I'd build a home right there. City lights, Bay view....walk across the street and see the ocean view. getting in/out of there is not fun, but man is that some pretty topography. Stays pretty cold there because it is surrounded by water....but other than that.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:42 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,680,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I see the West Coast Spainish style homes coming out here slowly in the form of high end custom homes. I live in the Willow Bend area of Plano and some of the 1mill+ homes here would not look out of place sitting on the cliffs of Corona Del Mar in OC.

As for the best place in San Diego, I'd have to say out near the sub base in Point Loma. In fact, if we could move that sub base, I'd build a home right there. City lights, Bay view....walk across the street and see the ocean view. getting in/out of there is not fun, but man is that some pretty topography. Stays pretty cold there because it is surrounded by water....but other than that.
I know what your talking about Sockets...(spanish homes) I've seen those. I'm more a fan of the 1920's style spanish home.....not so much the new construction. Before I moved out here I thought we would see ALOT due to the heat in Texas. I wonder how well the tile roof would hold up in a hail storm though??? lol

Old 03-04-2007, 09:45 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
Quote:
I wonder how well the tile roof would hold up in a hail storm though??? lol
I think that type of roof cost about 20k to replace (had some friends with shake in poway that looked into after the big fire and that's what they told me, of course they decided not to).

You'd replace a few out here in Texas, so your insurance would be costly. Wouldn't make sense to use something that fragile. Also, think about the winds we get (and god forbid tornadoes), those clay shingles would become projectiles.

With that said, they use them on the car ports where I live. In fact, the weight is so great that recently a moving truck bumped into one and knocked the entire carport over on a couple of cars under it.....luckily no one was hurt, but the Honda Accord that was under there was literaly flattened by the weight of the car port falling down on it.

Out here, they rely more on insulation and tight building paractices for energy efficiency.

In fact, on the home I'm buying they are using Radiant Barrier, R38 with a net then a spray filler that covers all that.....it's intense how precise the insulation is.....in CA, it looked like I laid my insulation in the attic (looked like someone stood in the access port and threw it up there).

Building standards are much higher out here. Of course they have to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego