U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,843 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am in Atlanta GA. single income... making 95K pre-tax and my yearly exp around 35-40K.

I am being offered a new job in Carlsbad CA with 100K-110K. ( still negotiating...This job looks more secure than my current one, which is kind of shaky)

I understand Carlsbad is quite costly...Your inputs/opinions on the following are highly appreciated.

1.Is 110 K sufficient to live ( on rent) in and around Carlsbad? Which area is decent and moderate between carlsbad and san diego? ( spouse might start working later) - 20-30 min drive should be OK.

2. How much it would cost me to maintain same life standard...( currently major expense are 2B/R apartment on rent - $1000 inclusive of utilites, Toddler in private montessory school - $700)

I have a moderate lifestyle...

I am confused whether to take this offer or not...

Thanks
Dhiraviyam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 PM

130 posts, read 408,713 times
If you live in Carlsbad (which has good schools) expect to pay between $1600 to $2100 per month in rent on a 2 bedroom. The higher you go in price, the nicer the place... In general in San Diego, the more inland you go, the less expensive. If you plan to continue to pay for private school, you can rent in a lower cost area.

I think you'll be ok if you're "moderate" in lifestyle. You'll probably feel the $ difference, but the weather here makes it possible to do lots of lower-cost outdoor things for entertainment (beach, parks, outdoor music, etc.) as a form of adjustment. But I would negotiate for as much $$ as possible. There should be some sort of cost of living calculator that lets you adjust 95K in Atlanta to some San Diego price.

Will they cover relocation expenses? And a house-hunting trip?

Old 09-23-2008, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,843 times
Thank you very much for the information.. it is really useful and I appreciate it.

From various postings in this forum, I understand Carlsbadd is costly.

I am not so particular that I should live in Carlsbad. Any where between Carlsbad and San Diego should be OK ...Inland should also be OK. Looking for not more than 30 mins drive... Is there any such places ...would like to have some good place's names ( Ultimately aiming to reduce the cost of living without compromising much... I am not that much fun / entertainment minded!)... places where 2 B/R around 1400 -1600 range and in close proximity... I would like to keep my Toddler in private school for couple more years

you are right...trying to negotiate more $$ and relocation...

Thanks again
Dhraviyam

Old 09-23-2008, 03:56 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,614,378 times
Here is a general COL calculator

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costo...tofliving.html

If you want inland you will look along the 78 and 56. Driving from the south on the 5 is going to be less traffic, so areas along the 5 may be suitable, but not necessarily less expensive.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:07 PM

130 posts, read 408,713 times
Good luck in the negotiations! I currently live (rent) in Carlsbad--2 bedroom 1.5 bathrooms at $1600 total (includes 1-car garage, extra parking spot, and pet rent for my kitty)--about 920 sq. ft. There's really no outdoor play area, so I wouldn't recommend it for small kiddos, and I don't notice any smaller kiddos there (a few teenagers seem to be around) but I can send you a link to the complex if you like. They took $1,000 off our first month's rent for signing a 1-year lease.

Saw a 3 bedroom renting in the Tanglewood condo complex (north carlsbad, slightly inland from the 5) for $1800 about 2 weeks ago--I would've rented it without hesitation.

I'm hoping someone will chime in with some places for you.... If you're not worried about schools, and not particular to being close to the ocean, you should have enough choices.

These are my general impressions (you can check for rentals in some of these areas on Craigslist).... there are some pockets of Oceanside, Vista & San Marcos (though I can't tell you where--these areas are basically north of carlsbad--makes for long commute to downtown if that's where your wife might work) and you could try Poway, Rancho Benardo, Scripps Poway or Mira Mesa (trying to think of places with decent rental stock). Anywhere along the coast is fine, of course.

My suggestion would be to go to sandiego craigslist, plug in some search parameters (you can select north SD county) and look at some of the listings & see where they fallout on a map.

Sounds like housing is your biggest concern/cost. If you don't get much back on this thread, try re-posting about the housing aspect only--I know there have been a few looking to relocate here recently and they may be able to tell you about specific complexes.

I feel I should add that I have had a number of friends move away from here due to the high cost of a purchasing a home and their desire to own a home and also have children. That having been said, my SO and I are committed to staying in southern california, and trying to figure out how we're going to pull it all off (including children). We're trying to budget for doing it on ~100-115 K (so your range)--if we were further along in the process I'd be able to give you a better feel, but we haven't gotten that far yet. Our combined income is higher than that now, but we're trying to allow for one of us to have part-time work for a few years (and also still fund his expensive hobby and my grad school). My sister does it here for much, much less as essentially a single mother with one awesome 10 year old.

California is great, but there are tradeoffs. To me, they're worth it.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:51 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,315,747 times
We live in Carlsbad and are currently renting a 4bdrm/2bath, 2200sf for $2500. We'd like to downsize but the thought of packing up the house & moving with 2 infants keeps us here for now. I really like the area - moreso because I have several friends up here and love the weather. I don't know that Carlsbad is any more expensive than any other area of SD except for rent but I think that really depends on what you're looking for. We looked through Craigslist & found several listings that would work for us.

I would say that on your income with a moderate lifestyle you could definitely do it here. We are managing after 1/2 our income went bye-bye (I no longer work). For us, it was a matter of switching priorities. To live here for now, in a safe, nice neighborhood and to be able to enjoy the perks of this great weather are worth it.

I actually would consider living closer to work than further away from these days. DH used to commute to Kearny Mesa & spent quite a bit of $$$$ on gas per week. He has been WFH since April and that has saved us a ton of money in gas.

Good look!

Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 13,351 times
So did you take the job in Carlsbad and make the move from Atlanta??
I'm also in Atlanta but planning to move to Carlsbad in early summer '09. I will not miss the humidity and the traffic and the enormous summer-time bugs and extreme heat and gray sky winters and the minds a little too closed.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:37 PM

103 posts, read 265,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyev View Post
So did you take the job in Carlsbad and make the move from Atlanta??
I'm also in Atlanta but planning to move to Carlsbad in early summer '09. I will not miss the humidity and the traffic and the enormous summer-time bugs and extreme heat and gray sky winters and the minds a little too closed.
Ha...We just moved from Chattanooga, TN to Colorado...
(originally from MD, but lived in CA for 10 yrs)

gotta love those southern summers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego