Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:17 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,572,690 times

Advertisements

Get gas at ARCO with cash.None of that card nonsense.sandiegogasprices.com is the website.
This might sound funny for those who live here,but get those tourists coupon books.My co-worker uses those all the time and she saves big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 12:01 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
- Buy water from the filter machines outside of supermarkets instead of new gallons from the store for just 25 cents a gallon. (Recently it went up to 50 cents a gallon but that still beats paying $1 + for a gallon.) This is good for the environment too since it saves plastic.
No offense, but this reminds me of another tip to save money I read long time ago. "Don't buy French perfume in Paris, it's much cheaper to borrow your husband's jet and buy perfume in UAE"

Do you know that your tap water is subject to more stringent standards than any water you can buy in or outside the supermarket? And it costs around 0.3-0.5 cents per gallon.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:06 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
No offense, but this reminds me of another tip to save money I read long time ago. "Don't buy French perfume in Paris, it's much cheaper to borrow your husband's jet and buy perfume in UAE"

Do you know that your tap water is subject to more stringent standards than any water you can buy in or outside the supermarket? And it costs around 0.3-0.5 cents per gallon.
Okay, I was following you until you implied that San Diego tap water is more safe for drinking than any bottled water I can buy in a store.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:11 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,862,680 times
1) find where money is going

2) stop or reduce that amount of money that is going out.

Worked for me and it can work for you!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
1) find where money is going

2) stop or reduce that amount of money that is going out.

Worked for me and it can work for you!
LOL, there is something really zen about that.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:24 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,523 times
FYI

Standards and Regulations for Bottled Water
NRDC: Bottled Water: Pure Drink or Pure Hype?

Old 09-26-2008, 12:33 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,452 times
I'll pass on the bottled water, but I'll also pass on the straight tap water. Instead I use a filter which helps quite a bit in taste and quality, if you can use a filtration system for the entire house than even better.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I'll pass on the bottled water, but I'll also pass on the straight tap water. Instead I use a filter which helps quite a bit in taste and quality, if you can use a filtration system for the entire house than even better.
Gee, who would've thought water could be such a personal choice? How about Coke or Pepsi in a taste test?

Anyway (in sticking with the topic of this thread) I've gotta hand it to esmith, the cheapest solution presented so far for water is straight from the tap... and to be silly, collected from rain in a bucket.

Last edited by mini_cute; 09-26-2008 at 12:49 AM..

Old 09-26-2008, 12:30 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,991,184 times
We use a reverse osmosis system and the water is great. The filters are pricey but last many months before a change is needed.
My other water comes in a silver can

Twice a week you get all the fliers in the mail. We keep 2 running lists, one for groceries and one for 'other'. Other meaning stuff from hardware stores or nicnacs. Pick a designated day or 2 to shop and peruse and match the articles you need to the fliers. Almost always one store will match well to what you need. You will save a ton of dough this way.

Get the Costco card if for nothing else but to buy gas there. Go early or late to save time.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:07 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,411,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post

I would buy the water outside of Vons or Ralphs as well because the tap water did taste bad to me. Its put through a RO systems as well. I mini-cute was stating that its cheaper than getting a service that drops off water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego