Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I guess California is the only place where all public bathrooms have seat covers. A lot of places in Georgia and Japan don't have them, you have to lay toilet paper. Btw, do any public restrooms in San Diego have washlets (the toilet seats that have push button controls to squirt water and dry, and heated seats) yet, like they do in Japan?

Bidets are not very common any where in the US. Personally, I hate them because the last thing I want to do is hold my ass over a hot air drier for several minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 01:35 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
WOOT! Somebody has read my posts. I'm the poster who coined the term "Huffman Hovel" (And now as a resident you know what I mean.)

What I noticed as a difference between New England and the West are freeway onramps where cars entering the freeway have to stop and wait for a break in the traffic rather than being allowed to smoothly merge without slowing down. What a way to slow down both the freeway and to back traffic up onto the surface roads.

Where there are sidewalks, they are made of asphalt. At least they are in Maine.
Ahh, as I can remember what the freeways were like before the entry spacing lights were installed I have to disagree. What would happen is at 5pm EVERYONE would get off work and you'd even a race to the on ramp before gridlock ensued. You'd literally have a flood of new cars causing everyone to hit their breaks and causing traffic jams which lasted for hours. It sucked. The entry lights space out the number of cars entering the freeway thus preventing the sudden flood and helping to maintain the fast pace of travel once you actually get on the freeway. It's a huge improvement over the old system in the 70's and 80's.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Actually, I wasn't referring to San Diego's freeway metering lights that are halfway down the on ramp, I was referring to the STOP signs that are at the END of the on ramps back East. You turn down onto the ramp and hit a stop at the end. At that point you are only a few feet away from the flow of traffic but you are at a dead stop.
Those are actually just old freeway designs, and you have a lot of old freeways in the northeast. If you go to L.A., there are a couple of old freeways with that same treacherous design - the Pasadena Freeway is well-known for it's twists, turns, and very short on-ramps. It's quite an "exciting" experience to drive those freeways during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego