Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:38 AM

102 posts, read 235,685 times

Advertisements

I've been meaning to post this for quite a while now but just haven't had a chance.

What's the deal with big amount of smokers down here?

I thought people in southern California were suppose to be very health conscious. I mean there's a health food store on almost every corner with someone smoking a cigarette standing right in front of it.

You'll meet people that are very health conscious and they diet and eat right, exercise, etc but yet they smoke. And I'm not even talking about weed but regular cigarettes.

Seriously what's the deal? Especially in today's day and age I'm surprised there's still that many people out there that smoke.

I've heard from some people that young girls use it as a weight management tool. Is there any truth to this?

I don't know how many times I've run into physically fit and attractive young girls only to watch them pull out the ole' cancer stick!

Doesn't make much sense to me and not really what I expected to see when I moved down here. But then again, I didn't expect to see so many rednecks or white trash either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 02:11 AM

858 posts, read 1,496,435 times
It's pretty much everywhere now... I have traveled quite a bit the couple of years around the country and I notice it EVERYWHERE.... I lived in South Lake Tahoe and couldn't believe how many people there smoked. Everyone I knew was outdoorsy, physically fit and healthy, yet still smoked... I didn't and still don't understand..

Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 AM

6,253 posts, read 11,823,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondogger View Post
I've been meaning to post this for quite a while now but just haven't had a chance.

What's the deal with big amount of smokers down here?

I thought people in southern California were suppose to be very health conscious. I mean there's a health food store on almost every corner with someone smoking a cigarette standing right in front of it.

You'll meet people that are very health conscious and they diet and eat right, exercise, etc but yet they smoke. And I'm not even talking about weed but regular cigarettes.

Seriously what's the deal? Especially in today's day and age I'm surprised there's still that many people out there that smoke.

I've heard from some people that young girls use it as a weight management tool. Is there any truth to this?

I don't know how many times I've run into physically fit and attractive young girls only to watch them pull out the ole' cancer stick!

Doesn't make much sense to me and not really what I expected to see when I moved down here. But then again, I didn't expect to see so many rednecks or white trash either.
San Diego did not fit the image I had of California. I first showed up in a tie-dye shirt, non-smoking, vegetarian, with my rollerblades because I thought that's what would be considered cool in California. Maybe that would have been cool in L.A., but San Diego reminded me more of Dallas or Houston than L.A., aside from the beaches, weather, and palm trees. The group of "friends" I thought I had told me I had to smoke (cigarettes and weed), drink, and do all types of drugs to be cool because everybody in California does what they do. Needless to say, I was 18 at the time and nieve to believe all of it. But yeah, there are a lot of smokers in S.D. I was also surprised to see so many people in cowboy hats and boots and speaking with Southern accents, but I found out that was because it's a military town.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:14 AM

50,064 posts, read 46,618,493 times
There are a lot of robots that watch tv, move here knowing it all and think they fit in. It takes a while for people to chill and figure it out.
If you are hanging at the beach you are seeing the plastic.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:17 AM

8 posts, read 18,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
It's pretty much everywhere now... I have traveled quite a bit the couple of years around the country and I notice it EVERYWHERE...
I don't agree. I live in Columbus, Ohio and smoking is not very common. Actually, a smoker sticks out here.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:48 AM

50,064 posts, read 46,618,493 times
Take a trip to Vegas and you'll freak.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:06 AM

289 posts, read 1,263,073 times
Quote:
I don't agree. I live in Columbus, Ohio and smoking is not very common. Actually, a smoker sticks out here.
I live in Massachusetts and feel the same way. Or at least, smoking is mostly done in private now. I think Boston's a little worse than the rest of the state, but still not bad compared to the rest of the country. We're not even allowed to smoke in bars anymore. It's fantastic.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 AM

470 posts, read 1,702,724 times
The ladies who are smoking think it keeps them thin. Gross.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 AM

470 posts, read 2,089,507 times
It's become a sign of rebellion to some degree.

Everyone knows they aren't health food by this point, but some people just have a severe reaction against being preached at, so they smoke.

Others are just plain addicted, and have trouble quitting even though cigarettes are more heavily taxed than ever, and there's more of a social stigma attached to it.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:40 AM

9,522 posts, read 30,367,509 times
I find that in San Diego smokers are treated like outcasts, with the exception of the twenty-somethings who are vegan but smoke 7-dollar a pack "organic" cigarettes and have a wicked booze habit.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 10-02-2008 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego