U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Considering moving from Florida to San Diego area, wanting information on 2/2 apartments, walking distance to shops, entertainment, within one mile of beach, 60k income

Old 10-02-2008, 08:27 AM

11 posts, read 30,767 times
Default Possible move to SD from South Florida..Suggestions...

I was just visiting a friend in SD for 4 days, Encinitas to be exact and I really loved it there. We now live in Ft. Lauderdale area and I really dont like it that much and I'm considering a move to SD area. But I would like to know some more details.

One of the mail reasons I dont like South FLorida.
Cons:
  • To humid, even in the winter I have to use the A/C
  • Boring...kinda dead in the lifestyle. There is only one main street Las Olas and it's pretty boring and lots of retired (old) people
  • It is expensive renting an apartment
  • I feel there is no life, no people talking in the streets, no action, not many people walking around etc.
Pros:
  • We got he beach and no cold weather.
  • hmmmm....kinda laid back which is cool but not many activities.
When I was in SD we went to Solana beach, Del Mar, La Jolla, Coronado and other places along the coast from Encinitas to SD downtown and I felt that there was life and movement and people and shops everywhere, mom and pop shops and just people everywhere. I went to Mission beach, I think it was and you can walk all along down by the pier and they have bars and shops, restaurants and they have that cool wave pool where the surfers go. They have a cool rollercoaster there on the beach.

So my questions are in the Encinitas area down to downtown SD where are the affordable places to live if I was to rent a 2/2 apartment near the beach? (near I guess within 1 mile) And the salary would be I guess what I'm making here 60,000 annual. Of course I would have to find work. But the optimum would be to live where we can pretty much walk to the shops and restaurants, even if not a short walk at least a short drive.
What are some of the areas that you would recommend?

I figure I would probably have to work downtown SD, that would be the easiest place to find work???

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 03:11 PM

896 posts, read 3,028,988 times
Hey. I can't answer all of your questions but I can give you a few opinions

We lived in SFL (West Palm Beach area) for YEARS and made the move to the west coast last year. We originally lived in Orange County but recently moved to San Diego. The pros for San Diego are so numerous..but my biggest peeves on FL are humidity, geriatrics, not enough places to eat and laid back life style. I thought my life style was laid back when I lived in FL--everyone said that I would have to adjust to the fast pace here. Nope. No problems. As a matter of fact--some people consider ME crazy for my life style (lots of activities)! The only difference in cost of living was -- housing is more here, electricity was a bit less for us, water did go up. Grocery shopping costs more. The California "lifestyle" on a day to day basis does cost a bit more but we've found it worth it. My husband received a cost of living increase when we moved here. As for places to live, I loved everywhere you mentioned. I didn't particularly like Encinitas personally but I don't think I got to see the best parts of it with our realtor so I was turned off. My husband actually works in Escondido but we live in Del Mar. We like its central location and my husband drives against traffic so it's an easy commute. When we received the SD offer, we also received on offer to come back to SFL and it was a pretty easy decision for us. Good Luck.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:33 PM

10,257 posts, read 13,448,052 times
For me anything north of La Jolla/UTC is fairly suburban and quiet. The coastal cities do have nice downtowns with character and action but not enough for me to want to live there. It's fairly family oriented in North County. For anyone young I recommend central San Diego. La Jolla, PACIFIC BEACH, MISSION BEACH, OCEAN BEACH, Mission Valley, Hillcrest, North Park, Little Italy, and downtown. All those neighborhoods have walkable ares with shops, cafes, bars, etc....

I live in PB and like it but its not for everyone. Can be kind of too much of a party atmosphere depending on your preferences. I live kind of in the northern section of PB where it's a little quieter but still close to everything. I go to the gym at Wavehouse, which is where that wave pool and the rollercoaster are. I love riding my bike down there along the boardwalk b/c there's always people out doing things and it's a cool scene.

Downtown isn't the only job center in San Diego so you might find yourself working elsewhere depending on what you do. La Jolla/UTC, Sorrento Valley, Kearny Mesa, Mission Valley, and Palomar Airport Road area in Carlsbad are also large employment centers.

Rents in the areas I mentioned are generally at least $1,000-1,200 for 2 bedrooms on the low end. In PB i would say most 2 bedrooms seem to be in the $1,250 - $1,700 range. I pay $1400 for a 2 bed 8 blocks from the sand. Just a quick browse on Craigslist though will give you a good idea of prices and what you get for it.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:06 PM

349 posts, read 1,066,083 times
I understand what you're saying. We stayed in Hollywood for a week last year and it was dead, dead, dead. We stayed at the Marriott right on the broadwalk and there was absolutely nothing going on, we couldn't believe it. Ft. Lauderdale had a wee bit more to offer with Las Olas blvd. but not enough to do for a whole week.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:54 PM

11 posts, read 30,767 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego