Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

San Diego stuck in olden days, trapped in 1980s time warp, defense industry, behind in fashion, local government, move to experience new environment, life too short, economy and housing crisis

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:35 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times

Advertisements

I have heard(and now believe)that SD is stuck in the olden days.Everything from music,to dress,to lifestyle.My music/recording professor from last semester is originally from NYC and came to SD in the 90's.He says all the music sounds old and that people from here won't let go of it.I have heard this from people from Phoenix,LV,Seattle,Bay Area.Even in "original cities" like Pittsburgh,Baltimore,NYC,Buffalo.Look at the sports teams.The Boltz have put those ugly powder/National City Blue unis into rotation as of 2006;and Padres have the Mustard&Chocolate theme still going on in the immediate distance.I really do believe that San Diego is stuck in the say 1970's-1980's,do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 07:06 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times
I'm lookin down at PB and I'd say more 60's than the 70's.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:08 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,764 times
LOL, funny status message jksouthbay.

I understand what you mean by how San Diego appears to be stuck in the 80's. I think it is because the area didn't really grow much since then. I heard that the reduction in aerospace in the early 90's really took a toll on San Diego, which at the time relied mainly on the defense industry. I think San Diego is a bit behind in fashion too.

It looks like the local government wants to shed that image and bring San Diego up to speed with what they are doing with the downtown gentrification and continuously trying to expand upon biotech. In fact, I think biotech has really started to change San Diego tremendously. That stimulates the economy and brings new ideas, money, and retail into the area.

Of course, NYC will always be the leader for new trends. That place is just bubbling over with ideas, diversity, etc. I mean, heck, they even have "silent raves" a British phenomenon (which I personally think is silly.) If you don't know what that is, google it or look it up on You Tube.

So when are you going to make your great escape jksouthbay? Where do you want to go?

And if you can't leave, why not try to change things around here? You have the power to put your influence on San Diego. Like for instance, if you think the music is outdated, why not throw a concert and invite upcoming and current bands to play? I think you can make lots of money that way too. Why not write a letter to the sports teams telling them their uniforms are ugly and suggest some new designs? There are so many opportunities to make an impact on San Diego-- I'd say more so than NYC because that place is saturated. Just go there and steal some ideas and bring it back here and make some good $$$ from it.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 PM

141 posts, read 646,578 times
Yeah and the apartments are mainly from the 70's too.. I lived in a 70's studio when I was living there.. well I think that areas could have a lot worse problems than being "stuck in the 70's" but I guess if you'd lived there your whole life it'd be nice to experience something different.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:16 PM

141 posts, read 646,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
And if you can't leave, why not try to change things around here? You have the power to put your influence on San Diego. Like for instance, if you think the music is outdated, why not throw a concert and invite upcoming and current bands to play? I think you can make lots of money that way too. Why not write a letter to the sports teams telling them their uniforms are ugly and suggest some new designs? There are so many opportunities to make an impact on San Diego-- I'd say more so than NYC because that place is saturated.
why not move and experience something new for a while? Life is too short to spend it trying to change other people and places

Old 10-15-2008, 07:24 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
LOL, funny status message jksouthbay.

I understand what you mean by how San Diego appears to be stuck in the 80's. I think it is because the area didn't really grow much since then. I heard that the reduction in aerospace in the early 90's really took a toll on San Diego, which at the time relied mainly on the defense industry. I think San Diego is a bit behind in fashion too.

It looks like the local government wants to shed that image and bring San Diego up to speed with what they are doing with the downtown gentrification and continuously trying to expand upon biotech. In fact, I think biotech has really started to change San Diego tremendously. That stimulates the economy and brings new ideas, money, and retail into the area.

Of course, NYC will always be the leader for new trends. That place is just bubbling over with ideas, diversity, etc. I mean, heck, they even have "silent raves" a British phenomenon (which I personally think is silly.) If you don't know what that is, google it or look it up on You Tube.

So when are you going to make your great escape jksouthbay? Where do you want to go?

And if you can't leave, why not try to change things around here? You have the power to put your influence on San Diego. Like for instance, if you think the music is outdated, why not throw a concert and invite upcoming and current bands to play? I think you can make lots of money that way too. Why not write a letter to the sports teams telling them their uniforms are ugly and suggest some new designs? There are so many opportunities to make an impact on San Diego-- I'd say more so than NYC because that place is saturated. Just go there and steal some ideas and bring it back here and make some good $$$ from it.
Thanks,I like your status more than mine.Matter of fact I'm watching it right now.You hit all of that on point.He said that's the main thing he didn't like.Everything in NYC is more ahead of SD.The aerospace industry hit San Diego really hard.When my parents relocated here in 1983,1984 they where really looking into that but it began to fall off.The biotech industry doesn't really fit what the people of San Diego want to me.People from here lean more towards everything to be small quit and conservative while biotech is all about change and large offices that generate traffic.I plan to make my "great escape" sometime by September of 2009 to the Las Vegas valley.I like your ideas on the concert thing,but I don't do the music thing anymore.I will send an Email to the Chargers though.So your saying I need to go to NYC and "steal" or copy what they have and do?

Old 10-15-2008, 07:40 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickca View Post
why not move and experience something new for a while? Life is too short to spend it trying to change other people and places
Amen.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:44 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Thanks,I like your status more than mine.Matter of fact I'm watching it right now.You hit all of that on point.He said that's the main thing he didn't like.Everything in NYC is more ahead of SD.The aerospace industry hit San Diego really hard.When my parents relocated here in 1983,1984 they where really looking into that but it began to fall off.The biotech industry doesn't really fit what the people of San Diego want to me.People from here lean more towards everything to be small quit and conservative while biotech is all about change and large offices that generate traffic.I plan to make my "great escape" sometime by September of 2009 to the Las Vegas valley.I like your ideas on the concert thing,but I don't do the music thing anymore.I will send an Email to the Chargers though.So your saying I need to go to NYC and "steal" or copy what they have and do?
Thanks for the compliment. Go Obama!

So yeah, to complete your sentence-- bring it back and sell it here. They have the latest fashion that they don't have here yet. They have so many new things going on which make for good ideas for retail boutiques and restaurants-- like for instance this place called Bamn! in East Village. When hungry, you just walk up and put in a few quarters into the slot, open the door and take your hot dog. It is hard to explain because it is so unique of an idea. Here is a link a website describing it: Bamn! - East Village - New York, NY 10003 | Metromix New York (http://newyork.metromix.com/restaurants/pizza/bamn-east-village/57444/content - broken link)

Another example is PinkBerry which had a store in NYC long before it ever came to NYC. If I was more entrepreneurial I would have come here and opened it up before the recent influx of yogurt stores.

But anyway, I wish you well in your move to Vegas! Got to go where your heart is!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickca View Post

This seems like the attitude that the OP is talking about; that old timer, provincial anti-change attitude some people in SD have. What is wrong with change and progress? Just look at NYC 20-30 years ago and look at it now, it's much better.

San Diego is a very dynamic city that I see only getting better with time. Just look at the downtown compared to 20 years ago or even as little as 5-10 years ago. It's progress and change that transformed the downtown from a giant crack den to a destination for locals and visitors. There is now an underground trolley station at SDSU. The Coaster, the Sprinter, and possibly high speed rail in the future. All of this is progress and has made SD a better place to live AND visit.

I don't think SD is stuck in the past. Some people from places like NYC, LA, the Bay Area, etc...look down on SD for being a little podunk but we are not on the level of those areas so it's a pretty BS comparison to begin with. Just look at our history and demographics, I don't get why people have such high expectations for such a relatively young city that has only come around fairly recently.

SD is changing and will continue to change. The economy and housing crisis may have slowed it down but it won't stop it in the long run. This region has too much to offer for it to remain some insignificant podunk military town. I look forward to all the change and new development that will help make SD more modern and up to par with other cities.

Also I'd like to add that some professors are very full of themselves, so don't buy into everything they say.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:37 AM

489 posts, read 1,956,577 times
J.K. Southbay - I'm curious about your thoughts on our Downtown Chula Vista? I think it sorely needs updating--same tired, divey eateries -- LaBella Pizza, "Dock's", Fuddrucker's, the ugly "halfway house" or whatever that is next to Social Security, etc. There is the potential for it to be a quaint little downtown with its tree-lined streets, retro neon C.V. sign, farmer's market, etc., but it badly needs trendier updated eateries and worthwhile shops, movie theater, etc (besides the Vogue). I wish Cheryl Cox would put her money there. Downtown C.V. is definitely "stuck" in the 70s. . . or 50s. . .it's "stuck" somewhere.

Having said that, however, I don't feel Downtown San Diego is "stuck" in the same way as C.V. at all. I've seen tremendous change downtown since 1991, and it had changed tremendously in the ten years before that.

As for music--I'm still back in the Journey-Fleetwood Mac-ELO era of the 70s, so I'm way behind myself there

Last edited by jkoz; 10-16-2008 at 12:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego