Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:29 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,590 times

Advertisements

Someone told me that there have been recent kidnappings in Eastlake by organized gangs. Have you heard about it, or about others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 10:51 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
I've heard minor crime problems.Most of it auto crimes,vandalism,and robberies but nothing major like a kidnapping series.But it wouldn't shock me,it's still CV and the South Bay.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:44 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Unless you are a wealthy Mexican National you don't have anything to worry about imo. It's the wealthy business owners sob that they are after. Many reside on the US side now because of the kidnappings.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:29 AM

44 posts, read 197,107 times
In the past 3-4 years, there have been some kidnappings/murders that have a nexus to the cartel activity down south, but as TaxPayer mentioned, all the victims had some dirty ties in one way or another. There is an interesting article somewhere in the Union-Trib archives that describes the wealthy TJ elite fleeing to Eastlake, so it may indeed turn into a "target rich" environment here, but I wouldn't worry about it as long as you keep your nose clean. This problem will not isolate itself in the South Bay, there have been plenty of cases involving North County residents.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 AM

44 posts, read 197,107 times
Sorry, it was an LA Times article. Here's the link:

U.S. a haven for Tijuana elite - Los Angeles Times

Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnednative View Post
Sorry, it was an LA Times article. Here's the link:

U.S. a haven for Tijuana elite - Los Angeles Times
After reading this article it seems to me that they need a modern day " The Magnificent Seven (1960) " help rid TJ of this out of control crime wave. Its a damn shame what is going on down in TJ but hopefully the government is finally cracking down on all the corruption in the local government and police departments. I hope it keeps up so that we can feel safe crossing into Mexico again someday, of course also for the average Mexican national to be able to live day to day without the fear of bullets flying at any given time.

Quote:
1AngryTaxPayer: It's the wealthy business owners sob that they are after
It's the wealthy business owner "SOB" that they are after........1AngryTaxPayer what does SOB mean in the sentence you use? Is it "Sons of *******" ? and if so why would you call them that? Im just curious.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:07 AM

16 posts, read 56,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunky3301 View Post
After reading this article it seems to me that they need a modern day " The Magnificent Seven (1960) " help rid TJ of this out of control crime wave. Its a damn shame what is going on down in TJ but hopefully the government is finally cracking down on all the corruption in the local government and police departments. I hope it keeps up so that we can feel safe crossing into Mexico again someday, of course also for the average Mexican national to be able to live day to day without the fear of bullets flying at any given time.

It's the wealthy business owner "SOB" that they are after........1AngryTaxPayer what does SOB mean in the sentence you use? Is it "Sons of *******" ? and if so why would you call them that? Im just curious.
And when they are done who will they hire to get rid of the magnificent 7?

Corruption is so entrenched in the mexican society they aren't "cleaning up" anything. The Arellanos functioned as the powers that be in the region, in its own perverse way they kept peace and order. Now they just have all the aspiring up and comers grabbing for what they can, each bloody body replaced with another. I feel sorry for the honest police official who deludes himself and tries to put his foot down.

We are not much better over here. One of my latino friends from Orange county who had worked for the US gov't in the 60's and knew some guys who had been sent south to do "things" for uncle sam and ended up staying as they set themselves up in organized crime activities, told me this years ago:

the difference is this: In mexico they hold the club in your face and demand a bribe to get you out of trouble. you expect it, they don't insult you by lying that it doesn't happen and you are happy to get your son out of a DUI, for instance.

here in America you don't see the club because they hide it from you unless you are connected- then you get your son out of the DUI, so only the really rich get "justice".

In that way the Mexican system, in its own way, seems more fair to me. In the US we kid ourselves with the charade of electng politicians for "honesty"... yet we could only get a conviction on Randy Cunningham because he was not an experienced enough thief. I knew him when he was the operations officer of VF 154, when I was in their sister squadron on the Coral Sea in VF-21 as a junior enlisted tech. As God is my witness he was the most stand up officer and decent man I met in 4 years in the Navy.

I think that's what happens to an honest man in politics. After his conviction he broke down and whined like a baby. sad.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:35 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,320 times
I live in Eastlake. Haven't heard of this recently. The last kidnapping I heard of here was in association with the murder that took place outside my window last winter (the victim's brother was kidnapped, then dropped off safely). I walked my dog around the lake in the early evening this weekend. Nothing sinister--just the usual soccer moms feeding the ducks with their toddlers! I agree that most victims seem to be embroiled in the trade in some way, much like the mafia. They're not randomly looking to grab whoever's jogging around the lake.
Unfortunately, it's not just Eastlake--it just happened in Vegas with the little boy whose grandfather was mixed up in the trade.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
I live in Eastlake. Haven't heard of this recently. The last kidnapping I heard of here was in association with the murder that took place outside my window last winter (the victim's brother was kidnapped, then dropped off safely). I walked my dog around the lake in the early evening this weekend. Nothing sinister--just the usual soccer moms feeding the ducks with their toddlers! I agree that most victims seem to be embroiled in the trade in some way, much like the mafia. They're not randomly looking to grab whoever's jogging around the lake.
Unfortunately, it's not just Eastlake--it just happened in Vegas with the little boy whose grandfather was mixed up in the trade.
Hey you know I want to move there right?I've been watching the LV news nearly everyday for the last year and they have Home Invasions all the time(one yesterday).But the Puffenburger thing was crazy.
Yeah you do have a point.If you get "caught up" stuff like that might happen.And that's when your security is down.A lot of people move here(East CV) and just let there guard down when crime can happen anywhere,to anyone,at any time.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:12 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Hey you know I want to move there right?I've been watching the LV news nearly everyday for the last year and they have Home Invasions all the time(one yesterday).But the Puffenburger thing was crazy.
Yeah you do have a point.If you get "caught up" stuff like that might happen.And that's when your security is down.A lot of people move here(East CV) and just let there guard down when crime can happen anywhere,to anyone,at any time.
I grew up near the Mafiosos who may have had something to do with Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance/murder (I'm used to having "neighbors" like this), yet to look at their homes or them you'd never guess it. From all appearances, they live like everyone else (although often lavishly). Don't mess with them--they don't mess with you. They choose "unlikely" middle to upper middle class neighborhoods like Eastlake where they disguise their shady dealings and "blend in" more. Walking around the lake on a Saturday afternoon watching kids feed the ducks or paddle around the lake, it hardly looks like a bastion for the drug trade.
Although it's happening in Eastlake because of its proximity to the border, none of S.D. County is immune, and neither is Vegas unfortunately.

Last edited by jkoz; 10-23-2008 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego