Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 12:59 PM

3 posts, read 13,397 times

Advertisements

Hello!
My husband and I just sold our house in the Inland Empire (smog and wind and it's just yucky here) and are excited to leave the 909 for North County SD.
We have been planning this move for years and will be renting a house in Carlsbad so our 8th grade son can finish school in one area.
I just realized that the house we will be renting (in 2 weeks!) is La Costa area but San Marcos Schools District.
The boundaries seem goofy to me because Aviara Oaks middle is only 2 miles away and the San Marcos school is more than double that!
Anyhow, my son is a skater and pretty serious about it. I'm hoping he'll pick up surfing and I'm crazily happy that we're finally moving coastal, but since the move is going to be hard enough on him anyway, I want to make sure he goes to a school where he fits in.
I drove to the San Marcos school my son would attend, San Elijo Middle, and I got there when kids were getting out and not only is the school a beautiful place, but the kids seemed nice -- little gang bangers didn't catch my eye, you know :-) And the scores are good. It's a newer school
But I am just not sure about San Marcos High.
If anyone has any advice or description of San Marcos High, that would be great!
I haven't signed the lease on our house yet because I want to be certain I am choosing the right school.
I was hoping to settle in the Tamarack area and I like Aviara Oaks middle school. But the house we are going to rent in La Costa area seems perfect (we need a house because we have a large dog and also babies).
another concern I have is that if he does any sports or anything his team spirit and logos and practices are going to be in a city other than the one he lives in.
this is just weird to me and I am running out of time. I need to put the deposit on this house or scramble like heck to find another one!
Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 03:22 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,878 times
You should look into doing a inter-district transfer. I don't know how difficult they are to get in that area, but that would definitely solve all your issues here. The house you already want and the schools you'd prefer. Win-win. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:19 PM

213 posts, read 823,153 times
I attended San Marcos High for my first two years back in '02-'04, when it was heavily overcrowded and a bit on the dirty side. Reason I left was because they built a newer high school nearby and I live within it's boundaries.

San Marcos High now has much less students, and as a result they've removed the horrendous trailer classrooms so the place now is refurbished and looks much cleaner. If your son ends up taking Spanish as his foreign language, pray he ends up having Senora Trejo - one of the best (and most hilarious) teachers ever.

Have you also looked into having him attend La Costa Canyon? Or would they not allow him to, simply because you're within the SM school boundaries?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 13,397 times
Thank you Sambazon!
I am checking into him attending La Costa Canyon for high school, but the transfers seem pretty tough from everything I've read online. As long as we time it right and have the the reasons they accept, it may work.
Anyhow, I'm moving in just a few days so I'll take it one day at a time. He'll be fine wherever he attends. Thanks for the recommendation on Senora Trejo :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego