U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:53 PM

64 posts, read 133,074 times

Advertisements

So we've been living here for 4 months having moved from St. Louis. We purchased a house prior to relocating and after being here for a while, these are my impressions:

Impression 1: Wonderful weather and the ocean is beautiful.
Impression 2: Love the ethnic diversity, everyone seems to get along.
Impression 3: Impressions 1 & 2 don't compensate for the substantial decrease in disposable income.
Impression 4: Dual Income families seem to be the norm in order to survive
Conclusion: Financially, I would be much much better off moving back to St. Louis and vacationing here or elsewhere 4 weeks out of the year.

Think about it. The cost of living differential between St. Louis and San Diego is 50% while the salary differential is just 3%. I'm grateful that my company gave me a 50% pay raise for the next 2 years to compensate for the cost of living increase. After that, it may be back to the midwest...

Our mortgage & taxes went up from $2000 on a semi-custom new 3000 sq. ft home on 1/4 acre lot ( I was on track on being debt free in 10 years, now I'm back to a 30 yr mortgage) to $4200 on a 2100 sq ft home on a 4000 sq ft plot. Our water bill went up from $50/month (watering .25 acres) to $100/month (watering a puny yard) , utilities went up from $186/month (running separate cooling/heating units for each floor of our house) to $245 a month (running a single unit sparingly), expenses at the gas pump went up from $200/month to $300/month ( and my commute is 8 miles shorter each way now), preschool cost went up from $120/month in a private school (no volunteering ) to $240 a month in a public school with my wife volunteering 3 to 4 times a month.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to live here permanently, but in my mind, unless you have family here that you cannot move away from (we left our family back in Canada), or have a very low mortgage, or love the ocean so much that you need to be there every week, or cannot bare the cold or humidity at all, there is no rational reason to stick around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 PM

10,352 posts, read 13,802,483 times
It's our home and most of us love it, we don't need to make any excuses to anyone for why we choose to stay here, to each their own. But I just don't get the point of these threads every now and then from some transplant complaining about the obvious, that its expensive to live here than other places.
It's like they all want everyone to agree so we move away and the demand drops to live here or something...

Old 10-23-2008, 03:01 PM

7,160 posts, read 18,444,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's our home and most of us love it, we don't need to make any excuses to anyone for why we choose to stay here, to each their own. But I just don't get the point of these threads every now and then from some transplant complaining about the obvious, that its expensive to live here than other places.
It's like they all want everyone to agree so we move away and the demand drops to live here or something...
Remember it's a relocation forum. The primary audience is people who are trying to make a decision to move somewhere. Not as a clubhouse for people who already live there.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Remember it's a relocation forum. The primary audience is people who are trying to make a decision to move somewhere. Not as a clubhouse for people who already live there.
and anyone looking to relocate will find about a million other threads about the same exact thing. Don't really see the point in beating a dead horse over and over....

Old 10-23-2008, 03:07 PM

17,335 posts, read 13,877,918 times
I'm glad it's expensive to live here otherwise we'd be the biggest City in the US ten fold.

Not everyone can afford a Ferrari

Old 10-23-2008, 03:17 PM

7,160 posts, read 18,444,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
and anyone looking to relocate will find about a million other threads about the same exact thing. Don't really see the point in beating a dead horse over and over....
Well, then there would be no posts... and no point to the forum :-)

Remember, the owners of this site get paid with ad impressions. We don't want to discourage new people from posting here.

In my opinion the most valuable posts are those from people who have recently relocated here.... they don't have the bitterness of someone who grew up here and hates it, or the wild-eyed fantasy of someone who is looking from afar.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:19 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,256,704 times
In response to the OP, I often advise people who are unsure about moving to southern california, people who are essentially happy living where they are but are looking for a change/more excitement/etc. to make San Diego their vacation destination 2 or 3 times a year. It will always maintain its charm and you will always maintain your finances. Naturally, if it's always been someone's dream to live here, or their family is in the area, they should definitely consider taking the plunge. Otherwise, stay where you can afford to live comfortably. Living in paradise but not having any money to spend while you're in paradise gets old pretty quick.....

Old 10-23-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Well, then there would be no posts... and no point to the forum :-)

Remember, the owners of this site get paid with ad impressions. We don't want to discourage new people from posting here.

In my opinion the most valuable posts are those from people who have recently relocated here.... they don't have the bitterness of someone who grew up here and hates it, or the wild-eyed fantasy of someone who is looking from afar.
Considering there are 323 threads found under "Cost of Living", that isn't a problem. In some of the other forums some of the mods and regular posters will try discourage people from starting a new thread about a topic that has been routinely discussed and will many times reference previous threads about that topic. Even posting a sticky with links to threads about the most discussed topics. Also just browsing the site w/o posting is going to expose anyone to the same advertisements everyone else sees.

But either way it's totally fine for people to post threads like this one BUT it's also fine for anyone to respond to it with their thoughts about it, which is what I did. Some of us might take a little offense when someone else lists a bunch of reasons on why people would even consider living here then tell us that if we don't fall under one of those then there is no "rational" reason for some of us to remain here. That stuff gets a little annoying after a while to SOME of us and I don't see the problem with expressing that. This thread probably appeals to you since you are looking to leave for some of the same reasons and helps justify your rationale.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 2,097 times
I'll tell you it's interesting- the comments about why SD is so expensive. You know it's not just that San Diego costs more, it's what you get in return. It's so odd that a military town would exclude the poor/working poor.

San Diego is a contradiction in that sense.

I noticed something else that hurts San Diego and that is there is virtually no upscale shopping or dining such as is in "lower cost" cities. I'm not saying there ain't no good places to eat, nor a fancy hotel with a nice menu. But over all what you get is limited, very limited, for such a darn high price tag.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:22 PM

462 posts, read 1,347,077 times
[quote=indecisive;5822053]Think about it. The cost of living differential between St. Louis and San Diego is 50% while the salary differential is just 3%.

But at the end of the day. . . .St. Louis is St. Louis. . .it's not California. . it's not San Diego.

People who choose to live here pay the "sunshine tax" or the "California lifestyle tax"--they'll pay what they have to just to *BE* here, maybe motivated by a childhood dream to "be in California" or a passion for the area. To others, being *HERE* doesn't mean as much as having the large yard, large house, nice cars, lots of family living around, etc. In that case, as you said, you'd be better off visiting here and continuing to live where you came from. Most people I know who have moved here and are doing okay or well financially gave up something to live here, i.e. they're living in a condo or apt. instead of a house, driving an economy car, sold their boat, etc. When you're raising a family, though, you don't necessarily want to make those kind of sacrifices.

Good for you for trying it out here, though. If you stayed in St. Louis, you'd always wonder what it would be like here. If you go back, you'll go back knowing you're making the right decision. Hope whereever you decide to live, it works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego