Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 3,626 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My fiance and I are looking into re-locating from RI to SoCal... We are hoping some of you could shed some light on the IT (web developement industry) out there (looks alot hotter than here in RI) and also the Equestrian Horse industry.

We’ve looked into Ramona (I’ve read its SoCal’s horse country), Poway, and Santee as far as the best possible suburbs. I’d prefer to live in the suburbs to avoid city life, junkie weirdos, and all that.

We're open to any ideas on anyplace..Looking for the best bang for out buck as far as numbering it down to the best place to relocate for us…

Her horse jobs/lifestyle, me computer jobs and oh yeah a Motocross lifestyle. Another big reason to move to SoCal it looks like Motocross heaven.

Its 20degrees here in RI we are going insane..sick of the cold.

Oh...we're not looking into buying a barn. She is a horse trainer and will get a job at a barn riding and teaching lessons..
Most likely get a free place to live with her horse job or we'll rent a house or a small apartment for around $1,000 per month..

San Diego (suburbs)
Pros..
-More computer jobs
-Awesome motocross riding, Glamis - Octillo ect..
-Warm weather year round
-Close to the coast / ocean

Cons..
-Traffic sucks
-Cost of living is higher than here in RI

What are the other pros and cons I am missing about living in SoCal?

We're looking for info from those of you who live there or have visited there.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 05:17 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
The traffic is not that bad in San Diego. We live in RB and my wifes commutes to downtown in the heart of rush hour 20+ miles away and it takes her less than 30 mins.

Not sure why San Diego has gotten such a bad traffic rap. You just need to live in centrally located areas.

Also, for what you want, San Diego Country Estates (SDCE) in Ramona is calling your name. Have your Realtor show you that area, you'll fall in love. Poway has some similar areas that may also allow horses like Green Valley, but you will pay a whole lot more to live there.

Also, for the COL equation, factor in that San Diego typically has about a 1% property tax base. So yes, homes cost more, but the prop taxes are far less than what they are elsewhere in the US.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:37 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Web devo jobs are a dime a dozen here. Ramona would be a good place to rent and look for something for horses. That or lakeside are big on rodeos and riding. I don't even know if 1000 a month will cut it in Ramona though. Big money in Carmel Valley and Delmar for horse related stuff.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:26 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
The original post in this thread was made in 2007.

Since it's been 10 years since this person has even been on City Data, I think we can let this zombie thread die a natural death again.

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-24-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The original post in this thread was made in 2007.

Since it's been 10 years since this person has even been on City Data, I think we can let this zombie thread die a natural death again.
Ha Ha ten years ago 1000 probably would still have not been enough.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:47 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Get you some coffee 1ATP.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Get you some coffee 1ATP.
See, now that the spammer is gone it looks like me

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego