Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,672 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are a young couple looking to buy our first home in San Diego. We have no kids right now. Our plan is to buy a home in the range of $500K to $560K.
We really liked a new home in Escondido (http://www.eurekaspringsliving.com/) (broken link).
It is a new community still under development. (zip code -92027)
Our concern is we do not know much about this part of San Diego. We are told that Poway would be better since it has the best school district. We have figured out that in that price range we could get a much smaller house (probably a townhome/condo) in new communities like 4S ranch whereas the above house is 2000+ squarefoot.
Any information about this area of Escondido would be appreciated including but not limited to school district, crime rate, upcoming communities, hospitals, shopping etc.
Regds,
sdhomehunter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 04:58 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
Honestly,

I'd stay out of Escondido for the following reasons: Crime, schools, resale and traffic.

Go a little south into RB or Rancho PQ and buy something smaller/older.

Try zip codes 92129 and 92127. Within RB, look specifically at areas like Camino Bernardo, High Country West and Westwood. I like 4S, but in this price range you'll get alot more house and much lower taxes in the three areas I mentioned. In Rancho PQ, take a look at the area right on the other side of the highway from Carmel Mountain. Simply take Carmel Mtn Road West, cross over the 15 and soon as you do, turn right up into that community.

All of these areas have 3Bdr/2Ba homes within your price range.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:30 PM

59 posts, read 649,425 times
I use to live in Escondido for many years and now live in Carmel Mountian. Escondido has it's problems but also has some nicer areas. If you like Escondido, I would stay on the north end or south end. The middle especially the number streets can get a little dicey. I like the southern part, 92025 area. The schools are OK not the top of San Diego, but not the bottom either. In the southern end you can go to LR Green Elementary or Bear Valley Middle School, both are pretty new. The high school would be San Pasqual. All three are pretty good.

The Rancho Bernardo/Poway area which includes 4S Ranch, Carmel Mountain and Rancho Penasquitos is very nice and has the best school district in San Diego. Poway, 4S, Carmel Mountain, Rancho Penasquitos and some parts of Rancho Bernardo is family oriented. Most parts of Rancho Bernardo is more toward the retirement side with quite a few older folks. Housing in these areas are definitely higher than Escondido. 4S is the priciest of all the areas you mentioned. It's also the newest and there still building. 4S is included in the Poway school district.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-24-2007, 07:08 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
a co-worker of mine just bought in the westwood area of RB. I believe he paid somewhere in the 525k range for a ~1500sf 3/2 on a small lot. Place is in good shape but needs to be completely updated (faux brick, wall-to-wall, formica, etc) but it is a good starter in good schools and they are psyched.

I would guess that for 550k+ you could get that same house but completely updated and in turn-key condition.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,672 times
Thanks a lot for all your repsonses

Old 03-03-2007, 04:08 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
In this price range, have your realtor show you the following areas in RB/Carmel Mtn

3Bdr/2Ba...

-Waterfield Laurels
-Tierra De Sol: These are townhomes, but feel like detached homes once inside. They are also built extremely well. This is my favorite part of RB.
-Masters Hill: Similar to Tierra Del Sol, but feel even nicer. Lots of Seniors in this area though, so not as kid friendly.
-Camino Bernardo - Best bang for the buck in RB
-High Country West - 2nd best bang for the buck.
-Westwood - Most affordable area in RB, much older homes, but very family oriented
-4S, only zero lot line homes in this range if that
-Vista Del Lago: I like the homes here, but it is so far north that it feels more like Escondido than RB
-Vista Montana - These are actually well below your price range (under 400k), but you'll need to check the area to see what you think. It's a gorgeous area, don't get me wrong, but the homes in this particular part have a different feel to them. Check it out. Great starter area.

I just checked the MLS and there are at least 25+ homes in there now that fit your criteria and fall into the areas mentioned above

Old 03-03-2007, 06:26 AM

121 posts, read 663,082 times
check out www.ziprealty.com for listings...most have pics and approx taxes you will pay on the home

Old 03-03-2007, 11:42 AM

156 posts, read 680,058 times
You might look in Ramona...your'll get a lot more space for your $$ there... and very nice community.
Both of my kids went to school K-12...and are in college now...Its a great school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego