Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 10:59 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,846 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the much, much better input you all. Much more appreciated

A few comments on what some of you said...for what my comments are worth.

I understand completely the wish that homeless people do not start living in their truck in one's neighborhood. Quite frankly I would not want them around me either . As some of you have said...most are on drugs, some would as soon rob someone else than work for what they want, and otherwise. I mean God loves them but they are definitely not the kind of person I would want living next to me...even if I myself am living in my truck.

Regarding people knowing what I am doing...I understand what you all are saying but you have to understand something. I have been doing this for four years. In a city that has a 72 hour parking ordinance such that one cannot park in any one spot on city streets for longer than 72 hours. In all that time I think people have only realized what I am doing perhaps twice. That is in four years! Once people in the neighborhood left a note on my dash asking me to PLEASE...not sleep on the street I was on anymore or they would call the police. There weren't even any houses around! Go figure. No problem...I was legal but why bother causing frustration in others if I don't need to. So I moved and it was no problem.

The other time was when some punks decided to hit the side of my truck with their fists. I don't know if they actually knew that I was sleeping in my truck but I figure they must have hit the side of my truck because they thought I might be. I didn't respond and they just kept on moving.

That's it. In four years!

I guess what I am saying is that I believe greatly in being incognito. In not being noticeable. In looking just like a parked car would normally look.

So I would say...living in one's vehicle if one does it rightly and using common sense is not a problem at all. And as one poster said...one can save a bundle of money and or, from my perspective, not have to work as much to simply hand it over to the bank or the landlord .

Now regarding camping...I've done that once before. In Florida. That time I could not help it. I HAD to buy a tent and start camping out as I did not have enough money to rent anywhere. And I mean anywhere.

I let a person who supposedly became a Christian become my roomate because the guy was in need. A week or two later I discovered him sleeping with his girlfriend in my apartment. After some discussions...I asked him to go and he would not. So...as a Christian...I could not remain and there was little I could do otherwise. So I moved out on him and left my own apartment. At first I went to a mission and had a good time trying to reach those staying there with the message of the Gospel but the mission eventually gave me two days notice to leave telling me that I was...well...not mission material so to speak . In other words I didn't do drugs and didn't have other addictions that would have qualified me for their continued help. Made sense I guess.

But I found myself being kicked out on the street and with nowhere to go.

I bought a tent...found a secluded spot in some woods...and started...well...camping. Once I got situated and worked out the kinks in such a lifestyle it was...well...rather enjoyable. I was out in nature...I LOVED to camp...and was able to save money as a result of working somewhere while living in the woods. You should have seen my campsite at one point. You wouldn't believe it.

I figure I can repeat the same pattern in San Diego. At least initially.

I don't want to camp or live in my truck for no reason. It's a carefully thought out lifestyle which I choose to do. It's a lifestyle which I am content with. It's a lifestyle I can't continue to do where I am because my truck is totally broken down now and I only have until the 15th of December to make a decision as to what to do. It's way too cold up here to be on the street. I can't camp up here . The truck and my home must be off the street by the 15th or I am liable to be fined $2000 for expired insurance.

Ironically my insurance company wanted a mechanical done on my old truck by Dec 1. I can't readily fix my truck (though I could if I really set my mind to it) and even if I could...it would not pass a mechanical. It's too rusty and the parking brake is not working properly (expensive to fix as it has seized from lack of use).

Incidentally...regarding getting on welfare and such. I understand that I might qualify for some such but getting on such is against the principles that I live by. I don't think it would please the Lord for me to do that. God has and can provide for me without having to get on such. Not that such is not God's provision at times for different folks mind you but for me, at this point in my walk with God I just would not feel that such a thing is a very honorable thing to do by Him if I can work and make ends meet.

I don't eat at soup kitchens for the same reason.

God's provision for me has at times been nothing less than miraculous!

Window cleaning wise...I am making it by going around by public bus where I am. I figure I can do the same in any major city in the States. At least make enough to pay for a storage unit, gym for showers (or I guess I can shower for free in San Diego...though I never did that in Florida and think I would prefer a gym ), portable internet, and the like. Perhaps the competition from illegal window cleaners will be too intense. I don't know. That's something I will have to try out and see.

I am betting on most illegals not being set up with a professional looking web site, business cards, business licences, and the like. And I am betting that most don't speak outstanding English either...like I do. Many are probably very intimidated to go door to door as I will go. That is how I built my business here. Going door to door. I have no problem with that. Most people do. That is a niche way of reaching new clients that I can tap into.

I'm not talking about competing with what window cleaners call the bucket brigade. Homeless people who go around with a bucket and squeegie and who charge next to nothing to do commercial store fronts. I am talking about going into nicer neighborhoods and going door to door in them. Leaving my business card stuck in their door or in their mailbox (where legal to do so). Talking to them in person when possible.

Ironically of course I will be going around intially with little more than a couple of buckets and squeegie but I won't look like a homeless guy. So much of business is impressions. And overall I think I make a pretty good impression and have confidence in my ability to do an excellent job at a fair price. People see that...I think...and have no reason to question where I live

Worse comes to worse I can get a dishwashing job and enjoy the good weather until I get my Internet business of the ground.

San Diego is only a stopping off point for a few years until I can figure out a way to make a living in South America where I would like to end up.

Oh...I've definitely worked over 10 years in the States. Lots more. So getting Social Security of some sort won't be a problem though if I could change things...I would eliminate the burden of Social Security taxes altogether and go back to the way it used to be. Where children, once they grew up, took care of their parents. The way we have come to depend on the government to take care of us in our older age has been a very bad thing I think.

Forgive what may be seen as my additional rambling but I thought some of you might be interested in further details.

I will decide in the next few days whether to come to San Diego or not. I can certainly afford the bus fare ($159 if bought 15 days in advance). Other than that I just need to start renting a small storage unit in SD (which I will pay for from here - I won't come down without one in place). A very small tent (which I think I wll buy there), and a couple of used suitcases (in abundance at thrift stores here). I have everything else that I will need I think.

Won't come down with much more than $200 (if that) but I figure I can start window cleaning right away doing the same exact thing I am doing here. Soliciting one day and then going to do whatever window cleaning I get the next, travelling there by bus and so forth. Of course in San Diego I get to enjoy the weather

At least what I am talking about seems doable if not a bit problematic.

I've just go to get out of this crazy cold weather if I can at all do so. I know camping out by some bush is...well...not very cool I guess...but it's either that at this point in time for me or I get stuck in Canada for yet another winter and then into Spring and Summer (since I will not want to let go of my window cleaning clients without making money from them one more season). I don't know what it is about me but I may be dressed like an Eskimo and still feel cold

Once I save enough I will buy a vehicle and be able to do the much larger houses in SD and will not have to camp anymore.

Camping is an absolute must for me though since I will not have a vehicle to sleep in. I won't sleep in a mission if I can help it (they usually treat you like dirt or like a second class citizen). I figure I can take a bus to the end of the line and walk a bit into areas that are less populated and more likely to afford me the chance to find a good bush to set up my little tent behind. Hopefully a fire won't be started around me such that I die from smoke inhalation

I'll operate mostly out of my storage unit.

My address will be at a UPS store once I learn my way around. Most jurisdictions allow one to use such addresses on their driver's licences (don't know about California though). Mind you I am not talking about a P.O. Box place. Rather about what is called a mail forwarding service which I would imagine San Diego has a few of somewhere.

Worse comes to worse I might be able to rent a small spot in someone's garage. On the floor. I won't need a bathroom (I can use the gym), kitchen privaleges, electricity, or anything else. Just a spot on the floor.

Maybe I can get such a spot for less than $40 a week or so. Just to sleep in. Don't know. My stuff won't even be there during the day.

I really don't relish moving to California. Your state...if I may say so...is the pits in terms of overegulation, lack of conservative values, and taxes. When compared to places like Florida and Texas. But...I guess I will settle for higher taxes to gain that good weather when compared to the refridgerator of a place I am living in.

I thought of going to Phoenix but there is no way I could live out of doors during their summers. Orlando is nice - I know Orlando but it's flat and landlocked, hot and muggy during the summer and the economy there is very dependant on tourism and construction (both of which are doing badly I think). Other than that I thought of going to Honolulu but taxes there are worse than California and it's isolated. Not to mention that there is some degree of prejudice against mainlanders . San Diego seems like the best bet.

My brother lived there for a few years and did not like the lack of seasons and near perfect year round weather at all. But...that's my kind of place

Carlos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benynjoey View Post
Well Carlos, if you weren't so old I know some boys who would let you stay with them if you wash their windows in the buff!!
Thanks BenynJoey. Sound pretty good except for the buff part

Old 11-29-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunky3301 View Post
Whatever you end up doing I do wish you luck but would suggest SF because they welcome the homeless and almost seem to encourage it instead of helping those poor people get out of it. But that's SF liberalism at its best.
Thanks bunky3301 but isn't San Francisco supposed to fall into the ocean at some point? I guess I am thinking of what happened to Sodom and Gomorrha type of thing. Maybe I will try out SF first. Don't know about being there long term though. I wouldn't want to be there when the really big one hits.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:45 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Carlos, your entire thread has me incredulous and I don't know if I can believe that you're a real person. And you've written quite a lot about yourself but obviously it's unreasonable to think that I can know you from these few paragraphs. On top of that, there have been a handful of things here and there that you've written that I don't entirely agree with.

That said...this has been one of the most inspirational and eye-opening personal accounts I've ever heard of. Thanks for sharing (though I guess you were seeking help more than trying to tell your story) and I wish you the best of luck. I can offer no advice as I've only been to San Diego once, for a part of a day, but I hope you have success with your move(s) and internet/washing businesses.

Just out of curiosity, what Canadian city are you living in right now?

Old 11-29-2008, 11:47 PM

You know I was looking at photos of San Francisco and unlike San Diego there don't seem to be too many isolated bushes just outside the city limits that I could crawl into and set up my small tent near in San Francisco

If it comes down to sleeping in a concrete jungle under some cardboard boxes verses staying where I am...hmmm...I think I am inclined to stay where I am. I don't think I will stoop down to sleeping under some cardboard . That's just too much.

Camping is acceptable but I got's to have some isolated bushes somewhere around me . Preferably at the end of some bus line and not in an area frequented by you know...those...homeless people . Wouldn't want a bunch of them to grab my tent with me in it and cart me to their adjoining campground.

Comments anyone?

Carlos

Old 11-30-2008, 12:20 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
You know I was looking at photos of San Francisco and unlike San Diego there don't seem to be too many isolated bushes just outside the city limits that I could crawl into and set up my small tent near in San Francisco
There is a LOT of undeveloped/protected land in Bay Area. Not in San Francisco proper, but further south. Just take a look at the satellite photo of the peninsula. See all that green? Theoretically speaking, you could set up camp in the woods somewhere in Los Altos area, just below 280, and you could be within walking distance from tens of thousands of million-dollar homes.

I am not familiar enough with that region to guarantee that it's a feasible plan. Ask someone who lives in Silicon Valley.

Last edited by esmith143; 11-30-2008 at 12:32 AM..

Old 11-30-2008, 11:16 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post

If it comes down to sleeping in a concrete jungle under some cardboard boxes verses staying where I am...hmmm...I think I am inclined to stay where I am. I don't think I will stoop down to sleeping under some cardboard . That's just too much.

Camping is acceptable but I got's to have some isolated bushes somewhere around me . Preferably at the end of some bus line and not in an area frequented by you know...those...homeless people . Wouldn't want a bunch of them to grab my tent with me in it and cart me to their adjoining campground.

Comments anyone?

Carlos
You'd be surprised. I live in Oakland and until a homeless woman started pointing out all the homeless people, I had no idea. But -- if the homeless woman that befriended me is any indication, a vast majority of them here are drug and alcohol addicted.

But we do have lots of homeless that are "invisible" which it sounds like you are -- no one knows you are homeless...

Two things you need to keep in mind -- we have insurance laws for businesses here. If you were to set up a legit business with licencing, you have to get liability insurance. It's not cheap.

Our food is not cheap, either. And, you and I are of the same age (I do janitorial) and we need to eat healthy to stay healthy.

It's a dangerous life out there... but I think you'd be wise to get out of Canada.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,088 times
Lightbulb Wanna Split a Storage Unit? ;)

Happy to find Carlos' posts online. I,too, am planning to move to the SD/SOCAL area sometime in the spring. Have to get away from this COLD weather. I'm 59, female, have a master's degree, have lived many places, had many adventures, including El Salvador during its civil war. SD doesn't sound quite so daunting in comparison.
This time, I'm looking for a longterm "residence." I currently live in the "heart" (ha!) of downtown Indianapolis, IN, where I waste over a grand a month on a 1-BR apartment (includes electric) on the 3d floor of a building without an elevator. It's typical Rust Belt urban living: no frills. I do have a view (of tall buildings) and AC. But the winters are miserable, the summer humidity is sweltering, and the locale is just depressing.
I plan to sell everything (except my laptop, phone, clothes & some personal items), then take a bus (or fly, if the price is right) to SD. Anything necessary can be easily replaced pretty by hitting yard sales, thrift stores and online ads. I've finally learned that material possessions are senseless and bog you down, literally and emotionally. Once I'm in SoCal, I'll look for a cheap car or truck and do somewhat the same as Carlos. Main differences are that I "don't do windows" and will eventually rent a room, shared space or cheap studio with a BATHROOM (my only real requirement).
I'm planning to get a part-time job, no more tyhan 15-20 hours per week. I'm trying to write a book and haven't been able to find the inspiration since moving to the dreary city of Indy almost a year ago. Before that I lived in Princeton, NJ, which is just as pricey as SoCal and COLD.
My biggest problem is planning for my soon-to-be 14-year-old Persian cat. He's certainly has his own travel stories. I hate to uproot him, but honestly never thought he'd be with me for this many years as he's had a heart murmur since he was a kitten. Given his advanced years, I'll need to find a reputable vet right away for routine health stuff. He's been a great companion, my best friend and has given me unconditional love.
I'd love to live in the Del Mar area (lofty thought, I know), so if anyone knows of places that rent rooms near the beach or within a short distance (on a bus line would be great), I'd appreciate hearing.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:03 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
Carlos, SD would be a pretty hard place to live out of your truck for several reasons.

Most of the people in SD honestly would call the cops on you and harass you when you are parked somehwere. The culture in SD is not very accepting of it. In Canada you can be low profile in most places, but in SD people will watch you like hawks. And if the average San Diegan discovered that you live in your truck, they will react in disgust and immediately think very badly of you. That's just how it is in most parts of the city, it is totally status oriented and materialistic. It makes Canada look very unmaterialistic in comparison.

There aren't as many good places to park in SD. Sure, there are places to go. But compared to other cities, most streets in SD are privately owned, regulated, right in front of a home or business, or otherwise difficult to park on. You might end up getting a lot of tickets and having to park in strange places. SD is a fairly dense city by west coast standards, so there's not a lot of space to go.

The police in SD are very aggressive against the homeless and people living in their vehicles. Because SD is so warm, rent is so expensive, and it is a fun, tourist city, etc. Lots and lots of people try to do exactly what you are doing and the police are very intolerant of it. They will likely treat you very badly if they discover you. They would probably fine you and impound your truck and do every other little trick they can pull. The police in SD are not known for being very fair or nice.

I can tell you all of this from personal experience. San Diego is probably not a good place for you to live out of a vehicle, it will be difficult.

If I were you, I would try Norther Cali, Central Cali or Oregon, it would be a lot easier and the winters still won't snow, just rain a lot. LA might be a better choice too.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Most of the people in SD honestly would call the cops on you and harass you when you are parked somehwere.
Gosh...it sounds like the people in San Diego are some of the most snobby and mean spirited people around. I can understand a person here and there acting as though they own the public thoroughfare but "most"?

Quote:
The culture in SD is not very accepting of it.
Has the US become a country where only what is acceptable is allowed to happen? I'd be nice if people would allow what is legal and give liberty where the law gives liberty. If they are not willing to allow that then maybe some lawsuits are in order against police who overstep their boundaries and abuse their authority. If there is something that really irks me it is when authorities abuse their power and start picking on those that are seemingly helpless.

I am not saying that about you in particular FunkyMonk. You sound like a resonable person. I am only commenting on what seems to be the case in SD.

It sounds like people in SD need a real humbling. Maybe through incredibly hard economic times that result in many finding themselves in dire need.

Quote:
In Canada you can be low profile in most places, but in SD people will watch you like hawks.
Hmmm...that's okay given that they will never see anything .

Quote:
And if the average San Diegan discovered that you live in your truck, they will react in disgust and immediately think very badly of you. That's just how it is in most parts of the city, it is totally status oriented and materialistic. It makes Canada look very unmaterialistic in comparison.
Hmmm...like I said...it sounds like SD'ens need some real humbling. Or maybe some good preaching about a judgment to come where they will be judged as they have judged.

Quote:
There aren't as many good places to park in SD. Sure, there are places to go. But compared to other cities, most streets in SD are privately owned, regulated, right in front of a home or business, or otherwise difficult to park on. You might end up getting a lot of tickets and having to park in strange places. SD is a fairly dense city by west coast standards, so there's not a lot of space to go.
If and when I start living in a truck again (assuming I move to SD) I was not neccessarily planning on parking in the city proper. But out of town a ways where I could be, hopefully, left alone.

I still don't quite understand what they tickets would be for. If I am parked legally and am doing nothing illegal why would the police ticket me?

Quote:
The police in SD are very aggressive against the homeless and people living in their vehicles.
The real question seems to me to be whether being homeless or living in one's vehicle is indeed illegal. If it is there may be a constitutional challenge that can be mounted against such. If it is not illegal then what business do the police have in being so overly aggressive against something which is not illegal? Sounds like they need to be sued a good time or two to back off.

Don't get me wrong. I have absolutely nothing against police enforcing the law (as long as such laws are not unconstitutional or unrighteous in nature). But they should come down on illegal/unrighteous behaviour. Sounds like the police there would have persecuted even Jesus Christ given that he often had no fixed place to lay His head and slept outdoors along with His disciples at times.

When I hear of such things I sometimes ask myself where the Christians are? Why have they not stood against what sounds like unrighteous and abusive use of authority?

Quote:
Because SD is so warm, rent is so expensive, and it is a fun, tourist city, etc. Lots and lots of people try to do exactly what you are doing and the police are very intolerant of it. They will likely treat you very badly if they discover you. They would probably fine you and impound your truck and do every other little trick they can pull. The police in SD are not known for being very fair or nice.
I will have to make sure I find a good lawyer so that I can pull a trick or two out of my hat too .

I don't relish fighting against abusive police but if they hassle me for no reason and especially for not doing anything illegal I will fight back with whatever legal options I have. I am not a typical "homeless" person who will do nothing about such abuse. That needs to be stopped.

Quote:
If I were you, I would try Norther Cali, Central Cali or Oregon, it would be a lot easier and the winters still won't snow, just rain a lot. LA might be a better choice too.
Thanks for the input FunkyMonk but it seems to me that I should be able to move anywhere in the US that I care to move as long as I am not doing anything unrighteous by God or illegal by man.

There is little worse in the affairs of man than those in authority abusing their authority to oppress the little guy/gal. If such a thing is not stopped now it will some day come back around to result in oppression of those who are well off by an authority that has run amok.

Carlos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego