U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 AM

2 posts, read 19,909 times
Question 4s RANCH Pros & Cons

We are thinking about buying a home in 4s ranch. We are new to SD and currently renting in Carmel Valley. I really like it here in Carmel Valley but the houses here are just unaffordable.

There are many new homes in 4s and the prices are pretty good compared to those in the rest of RB, Poway, not mention Carmel Valley...

But I am not familiar with 4s at all. I only visited there a few times looking at those model homes. Some Pros and Cons that I could think of are listed below.

PROS:
1. Nice master planned neighborhood. Parks, town center, restauants...all close by.
2. Poway school district.
3. Close to shopping -- costco @ carmel mountain, mall @enscondido

CONS:
1. Traffic: I went there on weekends, I heard that I-15 could be really bad in the morning...
2. Too close to the mountains. (surrounded by mountains )

Please contribute to the lists. I believe that many people like myself would find those information very helpful so thank you so much for sharing your comments!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 05:18 PM

275 posts, read 528,627 times
There's only one access road into the community from the I-15. If there would be a fire, catastrophe, etc. it would be impossible to get out of there quickly by car. Also, since this is a new community expect mello roos and association fees to be high.

bd5

Old 03-01-2007, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 19,909 times
Thank you bigdaddy5!

The tax is 1.7% which is high. The HOA is around $80.

Only one access is bad but the builders told us that there will be a new road connecting 4s with Del Sur. Hope it will be there soon.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 PM

2,955 posts, read 9,741,702 times
One way in/out ?????

There are multiple ways in/out

1. Camino Del Norte East to 15
2. Bernardo Center Drive will connect to Torrey Glen (lies next to Carmel Valley) within weeks
2. Camino Norte through to the other side of Santa Luz
3. Camino North across to Rancho Bernardo Road

I could go on....

As for the highway noise, who told you that ? Go there yourself and listen. I've never heard highway noise in 4S. If you do hear it, it's because there is a cool inversion layer overhead, which carries the sound. Most of Carmel Valley is the same distance from the 5 as 4S is to the 15.

Read my other posts, this area is a smoking good deal now for numerous reasons. Once Bernardo Center goes through, the values will increase.

Also, being surrounded by those mountains (Santa Fe) is a plus in my book. Those hills are gorgeous.

The only downside I can think of is the mello roos (which is included in the prop taxes). However, for those mello roos, you get a pretty nice community with parks, great schools, YMCA, etc.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:02 PM

275 posts, read 528,627 times
Yeah, I heard about that new access road too. When it will be built, I don't know. Extra access roads and streets are what makes a community more appealing to me. I like to have options. 4S Ranch reminds me of Mira Mesa back in the day.

bd5

Old 03-02-2007, 05:29 AM

Mira Mesa started out as a middle of the road blue collar area that catered to the soliders at Miramar.

4S is alot more upscale. As for the road, I was there a month ago and the road is done, with sidewalks and streetlights on both sides. It looked like all that was left was some landscaping. I seem to recall that Q207 was the target. Once done, that will put 4S about 5-6 miles from the ocean. Not bad.

Again, that area is getting beat up now. My old poorly made house across the street from 4S has held its value better through the downturn.

But 4S will come back. Just wait for 6-8 months while it weeds out the foreclosures created by people that got in way over their heads.

That area is just in too good of a spot to go down much further. Commute to OC, Downtown, Carlsbad, UTC or just work there in RB at one of the companies in the biz park. Very centrally located with excellent schools and little to no crime. These are all positive indicators.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:16 AM

70 posts, read 234,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
But 4S will come back. Just wait for 6-8 months while it weeds out the foreclosures created by people that got in way over their heads.
Why do you think 4S will come back? Interested in hearing your opinions.

With many sub primes like New Century and Fremont not offering the 100% loans and homes in 4S(as well as many in SD) area still around 700-900K, some are "guessing" housing in general will fall further.

I'm not suggesting a crash or homes going to half price or anything like that.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:45 PM

Come back in that it will stablize.

I don't think anyone in Socal can hope for more than that in the next 3-4years. Socal had 15 years worth of appreciation happen in 5 years. The market there needs years to digest all that apppreciation. The way the econoomy is looking, it appears that rates will need to start heading back down towards the end of the year to perk things back up.

As for 4S, I just think it is in a very nice location geographically (read what I've written about the access roads and new proximity to the ocean). It really is a well thought out master planned community. Excellent upscale shopping going in, great schools, etc. Also, just look at who the nieghbors are around 4S. It's also the 'youngest' part of Rancho Bernardo, which itself has an excellent reputation within San Diego.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:19 PM

70 posts, read 234,674 times
Socketz, thanks for the reply. Wife and I drove through 4s this weekend and in my amateur opinion it is all you've said.

I guess when I posed the question it was really in regards to are you privy or knowledgeable to more scientific data. Like has prices in 4s dropped, stayed the same or increased with each phase release...are foreclosers extremely high..etc.

Looking to buy a home for fall move in and 4s is on our list of communities we're interested in. However, with all the positives one of the negatives is the Mello Roos is HIGH!

We're a family so I'm sure we'll take advantage of the Boys and Girls club and other things, but we're trying to gage if its worth paying that much for that long a period. I mean Mello Roos really gives ya a good kick in the butt when you stack in on top of what houses cost now in SD and taxes.

Regardless, 4s has done a real nice job. Access to the 5 is maybe a little longer than some would like, but still better than most inland North County areas.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:44 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,378,987 times
I'm no expert on North County, but I was wondering why no suggests places like Carlsbad, La Costa, Encinitas, Olivenhain, Cardiff, Leucadia, Bressi Ranch and the such? Everyone knows Poway is family friendly, but what the the areas I mentioned? School districts like San Dieguito (Torrey Pines High), Carlsbad and Encinitas always perform well when it comes to student testing.

Santaluz and Del Sur along the 15 Corridor are also nice areas I hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego