Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:03 PM

69 posts, read 226,561 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

A few months ago, I went to San Diego for a week of training and I loved it. I got to spend a few days touring the area on my own, and I left thinking that I would like to live there. Just a few days in a city, however, does not allow a person to understand what it would be like to live there . . . especially from a cultural and emotional standpoint.

I am originally from the east coast, but I've lived in Texas for 2 years. Would people in San Diego be accepting of me, even though I didnt grow up there? Would it be "easy" to make genuine friends?

San Diego seems to be a place where many people are athletic and fit and love to be outdoors. I enjoy this kindof stuff as well, but I have some medical conditions that would limit the kinds of activities that I can do. Would this leave me feeling left out?

Also, what are the downsides to San Diego? I can get a relatively well paying job in SD, so that is not an issue. I can think of the relatively high taxes, and for me, tighter gun laws, but what are other downsides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM

812 posts, read 4,083,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aheadofthecurve View Post
I am originally from the east coast, but I've lived in Texas for 2 years. Would people in San Diego be accepting of me, even though I didnt grow up there?
San Diego is a city of transplants.

Quote:
Would it be "easy" to make genuine friends?
Downside number one, many people would say it's a bit hard. Comparatively, it's a rather transient city, so although the folks are friendly, I've heard many people talk about how they don't find many "deep" friendships. Your mileage may vary of course, as does everyone's, since this is quite a person-to-person thing.

Quote:
San Diego seems to be a place where many people are athletic and fit and love to be outdoors. I enjoy this kindof stuff as well, but I have some medical conditions that would limit the kinds of activities that I can do. Would this leave me feeling left out?
Kind of tough to say. It is an outdoorsey town, but unless you make friends with the marathon runners, I wouldn't imagine this to be that big of a problem.

Quote:
Also, what are the downsides to San Diego? I can get a relatively well paying job in SD, so that is not an issue. I can think of the relatively high taxes, and for me, tighter gun laws, but what are other downsides?
Aside from what you mentioned, crowded, traffic, higher cost of living than much of the country, fires. Job matters are a whole new can of worms that it looks like I won't have to open based on what you said. Compared to many cities, the cons are quite mild.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:24 AM

111 posts, read 460,960 times
I think whether or not you can find friends depends on who you work with and how outgoing you are. Certainly, there are opportunities here to find friends (join biking club, go to the same beach and meet the same surfer dudes, join the chess club at Balboa park, lawn bowling? etc). You're not going to find friends sitting at home by yourself so a lot of it is based on your own personality. Do you go across the street to meet a new neighbor?

It is true that many San Diegans are transplanted here. Many of the jobs here are high-tech that encourage the young and determined. Young = no kids, no reason to stay rooted. Determined = they're gone as soon as they find another job that pays more.

As well, many are in the military, so they get moved around quite abit. I don't think they like this, but it is a part of the life they chose.

Other downside is that in the summer it is VERY hot. This is great if you have an office job with air conditioning and you come out during lunch for a stroll. But if you work in the outdoors (construction, land scaping etc) it is quite tortorous.

Other downside: forest fires, some earthquakes.

Medical conditions: hard to say, seems as if everyone has some medical condition or another so in a way you're OK. But if you have lost an arm or a leg - something very visual, you might have a hard time. The sidewalks do have ramps, and there are handicap parking spots, but generally, people like to think themselves as fit and beautiful. There are plenty of "regular" people here, but the fit and beautiful like to strut their stuff especially at the beach, roller blading down the boardwalk etc.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:52 AM

256 posts, read 736,402 times
I have lived on both coasts. I love San Diego for many reasons. The one thing that has been a challenge for me is finding friends. People do not put roots down here as I have found like the east or midwest. That be said, there are many people here that do have friends. So I really think everyone is different.
The energy here is great. Never a dull moment...can always find something to do. It is obviously beautiful here.
Think you can make a life anywhere. It is all up to each individual.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:50 PM

122 posts, read 507,386 times
In regards to the posters comments about the summers being very hot. The original poster has lived in Texas for two years. Compared to Texas summers San Diego summers seem positively mild judging by the seasonal averages. In Texas one year we had 40+ days of 100+ degrees and at nights it can stay in the mid 80s. Humidity is also pretty nasty.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:36 PM

34 posts, read 108,466 times
I have been in San Diego for 7 years now..moved from New York. I have mixed emotions about San Diego. On one hand I love the fact that I can wear a sweater or light jacket in winter. I love the easy lifestyle. I miss the cultural "edge" of the east coast. Not to dis San Diegan's but I haven't met many interesting people here(although I did meet my lovely wife here, but she is like me having spent a lot of years in the Bay Area). Sounds kind of snobbish but what I really mean is meeting people that share the same interests as me.....but the people are nice in general and like another poster said many transplants...(like me) Downside is definitely job opportunity and pay. After 7 years here I realize I am an East Coast person at heart. I do feel like some what of an immigrant but making the best of it. But seriously who can complain about living here, there are so many positives that outweigh the negatives...

Old 12-22-2008, 06:48 PM

132 posts, read 351,074 times
Default San Diego summers hot? haha haha hahaahahah

Yeah right. Try living in Houston Texas. Constant days of 95 degree heat the worse humidity in the U.S.

Mid 90's constantly nearly everyday from june through sept.

That being said many many days any month of the year would be considered hot to many people.

I went to San Diego in June during June gloom and I was wearing a jacket it was in the 60's for the high.

Put it this way 110 in dry heat feels like a 95 degree day in houston.

Try 76 degrees as the average low temp for Houston in the summer.

That 76 degrees only last for about 4 hours or less, between the hours of 3-7 a.m. by 9 am its miserable.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
I have been in San Diego almost 15 years and am originally from the east coast. I made many good friends here as people are friendly... but I have also seen all my close friends leave in the last 5 years.

San Diego is a transient city. A big miltary population that comes and goes. Lots of college students who come for school but leave the lukewarm job prospects behind. 30-something couples who last a few years once they wrap their heads around the cost-of-living. The most stable population in San Diego is probably the retirees.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:37 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
There's a huge difference between people who are born and raised in San Diego and people who are transplants from other areas of the country. I was born and raised in coastal North County, virtually all my friends were, and we're quite happy. I know people who move here from New York, Northern California, and other areas and most of them are not as happy here as we "natives." If your friends, family, and support system are 2,000 miles away, you don't surf or enjoy outdoors activities, and you insist on being surrounded by top-notch museums, restaurants and shopping, then San Diego probably isn't the place for you. The people who say San Diegans aren't as "interesting" or intelligent as people in other parts of the country will never get it.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:49 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
I don't find San Diego to be a transient city at all. Compare it to SF, LA, NYC, or D.C. and it isn't transient at all.
Almost everyone I know here loves it and doesn't miss where they came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego