Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 08:39 PM

10 posts, read 41,802 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
We are thinking to move to SD and really like Carmel Valley area for many reasons.
Besides the rent, what other expenses may cost us?
Electric, Gas, Water, Phone, Cable.,Etc,
How much is annual car registration and average full coverage car insurance?
Are there other expenses that we, provincial Ohioans do not know about?
What about School expenses? We have two kids-by the time we move they will be 14 and 4. How expensive are activities for kids?
How much is to rent an average Tennis Court?

I'm sure there are more to know. Please, give me some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 04:06 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Car registration is, I believe, $62/year. In addition you are taxed .65% of the depreciated value of your car. That means if it was a 2001 car that you paid 20k for, it would be depreciated 10% per year. That would make the taxable value for 2008 $8k for an additional personal property tax of $52.

Gas and electric depends greatly on the size of your house, and how far you are from the coast. Utility costs increase as you move inland because of greater temperature extremes. Without knowing any of these things, I would guess $50/month spring and fall months, rising to about $100/month in the summer and winter. These are just broad guesses, hardly estimates at all. If you are an AC addict, the summer could be even higher.

Water costs will vary on how much landscaping you have to irrigate. If you have drought tolerant landscaping, your water/sewer bill should be under $100/month (city water is billed bimonthly so under $200 per billing)

A typical no frills phone/cable/internet package will run about $100 per month.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:24 PM

Thank you for reply,
I think it would be a Condo about 1500 Sq.F.

What can you or anyone else give me idea about car and property insurance as well as other things, mentionet in my previous post.

Thanks

Old 12-22-2008, 06:47 PM

63 posts, read 283,407 times
Current rents for a 3 bedroom apartment in Carmel Valley are around $2300-2800/month. I can't imagine you would have a utility bill less than $300/month, for gas/electric/water. Your insurance agent should give you a quote for insurance here, it varies widely on type of vehicles, prior accidents & tickets, etc. Cable/internet about $100-120/month. Gas will be slightly more expensive here. School expenses vary widely on what activities your kids are into. A good tennis club will run $200/month or so.

Estimated only.

Our utility bills average $800+/month. Car insurance ~$4200/year. Club membership ~$800/month. Property taxes $19,000/year. Etc...

Life's expensive here, but it is every other nice place as well...

Old 12-22-2008, 08:53 PM

I don't know how someone in San Diego can have utility bills that average $800/month!

You must have every pay-per-view channel on your cable service, several unlimited minutes cell phone plans and long distance, plus a huge lot that you keep watered to subtropical lushness along with a desire to never let the internal temperature of your house deviate on tenth of a degree from 72 all year long.

My Gas & Electric, Water & Sewer, and Cable, Phone & Internet consistently run under $200/month. But I do agree with your assessment that all of these combined might run $300/month for the OP. They would have to be add on a lot of the frills to run much above that.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 PM

What OP stands for?

Old 12-23-2008, 01:37 PM

63 posts, read 283,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I don't know how someone in San Diego can have utility bills that average $800/month!

You must have every pay-per-view channel on your cable service, several unlimited minutes cell phone plans and long distance, plus a huge lot that you keep watered to subtropical lushness along with a desire to never let the internal temperature of your house deviate on tenth of a degree from 72 all year long.

Actually, we don't have any pay-per-view or premium cable channels. 2100 minutes on Verizon for the whole family to share, no texting. A little under an acre, with mostly native type landscaping. Keep the house under 68 in the winter and over 76 in the summer. We don't have a huge home; ~4000'.

Typical bills run:
Cable TV/Internet $90
Landline phone $80
Cell phones (4) $120
Water ~$220
Gas/electric ~$290
Homeowners insurance $90
That's $890 right there...

Figure in property taxes, maintenance, car insurance, etc. and it adds up.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:24 PM

OP stands for "Original Poster." Alleah, that would be you.

I'm seeing where the big differences are now.

Landline phone: I pay under $20/month
Cell phones: Don't have one
Water: $50 - $60
Gas/Electric: $30 - 60 depending on the season

Of course, my home is much smaller, only 1000 sq ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: