Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:09 PM

6 posts, read 23,967 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am currently living in a northern suburb of Dallas and I am looking to move with my wife and 4 children (ages 8-14) to the Encinitas area.

I grew up in Orange County and moved to Dallas in the early 80's. I am burned out here and hate the weather with a passion. Housing and cost of living are big draws for a lot of folks living here but it is just not worth it for me anymore. I long to be back in SO Cal and would like my children to experience the great weather, the laid back lifestyle and all the amenities that go with it.

I don't want to go back to OC after talking with friends living there who insist it is way too crowded there (especially the beaches) anymore. I have heard some nice things about the Encinitas area and I realize that is obviously expensive to live there but sometimes you get what you pay for.

I am an alternative health care practitioner here and I am looking to begin a practice there which I understand will be an inviting place to be since there seem to be a number of people who are open to alternative/holistic medicine and spiritual ideals.

What is the traffic like in Encinitas? When we do travel into San Diego from Encinitas, what is the traffic like generally? Also I would like to find out about the schools, shopping and restaurants. Basically the good and bad about the area if you can.

Thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 09:29 AM

620 posts, read 1,740,450 times
I am unsure of the market for your occupation. There is a huge holistic instiution called Swami's.

Traffic in Encinitas is not to bad. El Camino Real can be struggle at times. Coast Hwy. Encinitas and Leucadia Blvd. are not to bad. Traffic can be challange from Encinitas to San Diego (The 5/805 Merge) going north is bad.

However, you can't beat Encinitas (Cardiff/Old Encinitas/Leucadia Olivenhain) for diversity, laid back lifestyle, and access to OC and San Diego. Grandview Beach is my favorite.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:08 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,669,545 times
Encinitas is great. There's no real traffic other than the traffic on interstate 5 during rush hour.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:46 PM

852 posts, read 3,799,930 times
Cute downtown, beaches, suburban stuff on the main inland streets. Good area. The 5 is a challenge much of time in both directions.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:53 PM

989 posts, read 5,908,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
However, you can't beat Encinitas (Cardiff/Old Encinitas/Leucadia Olivenhain) for diversity.
I was under the impression that Encinitas was a fairly white SoCal city with a small Hispanic population. Has something dramatically changed?

Old 03-10-2007, 07:56 PM

620 posts, read 1,740,450 times
The majority is probaly white, but in Leucadia there is sizable Hispanic population.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:09 PM

22 posts, read 103,462 times
Don't forget the ease of taking the Amtrak from Encinitas to S.D. Life is good when you're on a train!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:41 PM

59 posts, read 427,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
I was under the impression that Encinitas was a fairly white SoCal city with a small Hispanic population. Has something dramatically changed?
Considering the context, I took "diversity" to mean the different community "flavors" of Encinitas (Cardiff vs. Leucadia vs. Olivenhain vs. Old and New Enc.), not so much ethnicity. You have the surfers, the artists, the hippies, the professionals, the soccer moms. Some of it is semirural, some surburban USA, some neither. Some of those generalized segments mix but you get the idea.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:43 PM

342 posts, read 1,921,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrako View Post
Don't forget the ease of taking the Amtrak from Encinitas to S.D. Life is good when you're on a train!
How long a train ride is that?

Old 06-16-2007, 10:19 PM

22 posts, read 191,712 times
The train ride takes an hour. Driving will take longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego